Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Top 50

Baseball Prospectus Top 50

They just updated their midseason top 50 but it's behind paywall. Can anyone give color to where the Reds prospects are ranked?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Prospectus Top 50

CTrent reported that Stephenson was 20 and Hamilton 37.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Wonder if Hamilton will be in the postseason top 50

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    CTrent reported that Stephenson was 20 and Hamilton 37.
    Sounds reasonable, although if it were me I'd put them both 5-10 spots higher, but then again that may just be my hometown bias.

I wonder if Cingrani was eligible? If so he'd definitely be in my Top 50.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sounds reasonable, although if it were me I'd put them both 5-10 spots higher, but then again that may just be my hometown bias.

Can't throw a 2nd pitch so no...

Seriously, glad he's loosing his prospect status as it's ridiculous he's not in the top 15.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Anyone currently in the Majors wasn't eligible. He would have been "around 25" if he were eligible according to Parks comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Anyone currently in the Majors wasn't eligible. He would have been "around 25" if he were eligible according to Parks comments.
    That's fair.

I guess Parks and I are generally in the same ballpark.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Doug, what are your thoughts on Billy Hamilton in the top 50? After such a bad start do you think he should be there?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Doug, what are your thoughts on Billy Hamilton in the top 50? After such a bad start do you think he should be there?
    Yes. But the drop is warranted. If he hits at all, he is going to be an average-regular player. If he hits like an average player, he is going to be a very good player. I think there are and should be questions about whether he will hit or not. I think he will hit enough to at least be a Major Leaguer of some kind. His upside is that of an MVP type of guy, though maybe not mainstream enough because he will provide a big amount of value in tougher places to see (defense, base running - not just the steals).

Both rankings seem fair to me. There were some questions about Hamilton's bat going into the season and his performance in AAA has amplified those concerns.

Stephenson was the 7th highest SP on the list and with the exception of Appel all of the pitchers ahead of him are in either AA or AAA, so I'd imagine that proximity to the ML-level was a serious consideration when trying to sort though the high end guys. As much as I love what I've seen from Stephenson there is a lot that can go wrong between low-A and the majors, so it only seems fair to give the edge to guys like Archie Bradley and Taijuan Walker who have similarly high upside and are a bit further along in their development.

Turn Off Ads?