Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce the new Drew Stubbs?

Jay Bruce the new Drew Stubbs?

How many times can a guy strike out in a season? Bruce may find out. He is on a +200 clip and is on one of his hot streaks at this time. What can we expect when he gets cold again? This team really needs to re-evaluate its offence and get rid of some Ks or it will struggle against good teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce the new Drew Stubbs?

Nah.

To basically everything you just said.

4. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-26-2013),Gunner44 (06-26-2013),kfm (06-29-2013),Larkin Fan (06-27-2013),LexRedsFan (06-26-2013),marcshoe (06-26-2013),New York Red (06-28-2013),RedEye (06-26-2013),RedlegJake (06-26-2013),RedsBrick (06-27-2013)

I think you may be on to something, Jay's strikeouts are putting him on a collision course with a +200 strikeout stat. He's swinging at anything near the plate. I just finished watching AJ Griffin dominate the Reds lineup striking Jay out 4 times with complete command. I think it is time for Brooks Jacoby to get off his duff and offer Jay some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Nah.

To basically everything you just said.
    Agree, I never think about Stubbs when I watch Jay Bruce.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-27-2013)

While I always thought Jay and Drew were somewhat similar, and represented too many wasted trips to the plate when they were in the lineup together, Jay has improved into a solid hitter. With Drew gone, I think we can live with some Jay Ks.

9. Likes:

kfm (06-29-2013)

Why do I still open these threads? Shame on me

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-28-2013),dubc47834 (06-30-2013),HatchMo (06-27-2013),kfm (06-29-2013),marcshoe (06-26-2013),RedlegJake (06-26-2013),RedsBrick (06-27-2013),RedsfaninMT (06-28-2013),Tom Servo (06-26-2013)

Bruce will always be a streaky hitter. That's just who he is.

Jay Bruce 2013 OPS: .857, career OPS: .818

Drew Stubbs 2013 OPS: .681, career OPS: .696

but other than that...

14. Likes:

bengalsown (06-28-2013),Bob Sheed (06-28-2013),CySeymour (06-28-2013),HatchMo (06-27-2013),kfm (06-29-2013),reds1869 (06-27-2013),RedsBrick (06-27-2013)

LOL

Threads like this crack me up.

Jay Bruce has been spitting hot fire at the plate for the last two months, but every time he has a bad night, we get one of these 'ERMAHGERD STRIKEOUTS!!' threads. There is no pleasing some people.

He's reminding me of Adam Dunn a little bit. Just the way his homers are often solo shots and his capacity for whiffing lately.

Still, he's a much better hitter than Dunn or Stubbs IMO.

I think this team is pressing at the plate due to the fact that both the Cards and Pirates are playing at such a high level. Those two teams have very solid pens which plays a big factor on how the team approaches offense.

I've just noticed that when the games are close in the late innings, many Reds hitters seem to display real impatience. I can't help but think that the way the bullpen has performed/injuries contributes to that. Like they are in a constant state of having it slip away.

But Bruce looks like he always does and is really on a hot streak...until last night anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    He's reminding me of Adam Dunn a little bit. Just the way his homers are often solo shots and his capacity for whiffing lately.

Still, he's a much better hitter than Dunn or Stubbs IMO.

I think this team is pressing at the plate due to the fact that both the Cards and Pirates are playing at such a high level. Those two teams have very solid pens which plays a big factor on how the team approaches offense.

I've just noticed that when the games are close in the late innings, many Reds hitters seem to display real impatience. I can't help but think that the way the bullpen has performed/injuries contributes to that. Like they are in a constant state of having it slip away.

But Bruce looks like he always does and is really on a hot streak...until last night anyway.
    If Dunn could have run, thrown, and played defense like Bruce, I'd have taken him on my team any day of the week.

18. Likes:

New York Red (06-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    If Dunn could have run, thrown, and played defense like Bruce, I'd have taken him on my team any day of the week.
    Yeah...I don't see anything that reminds me of Dunn when it comes to Jay's defensive skills.
    He's(Dunn) a natural DH, and I imagine he'd have some pretty huge seasons had he been in the AL his whole career.

I'd say Bruce is one of the best defensive RFers the Reds have had in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    You know who hits a lot of solo home runs? Guys who hit a lot of non-solo home runs.

Jay Bruce has 96 solo home runs and 56 home runs with men on base. That is 37% of his home runs with men on base. This year in the NL only 25% of home runs come with men on base. The reason you see a lot of solo shots is because he hits more home runs than just about anyone else in the NL.

21. Likes:

kfm (06-29-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-30-2013)

Jay is on pace for 36 Home Runs, 48 Doubles and 110 RBI. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You know who hits a lot of solo home runs? Guys who hit a lot of non-solo home runs.

Jay Bruce has 96 solo home runs and 56 home runs with men on base. That is 37% of his home runs with men on base. This year in the NL only 25% of home runs come with men on base. The reason you see a lot of solo shots is because he hits more home runs than just about anyone else in the NL.

Thanks for the numbers. I would suggest that hitting 5th has much to do with how many solo shots he has this year.

But I didn't mean to suggest that there was anything numberwise backing up the solo homer statement. I was just commenting that if Bruce reminds me of any former Red it would be Adam Dunn before Drew Stubbs. But both comparisons are kinda ridiculous IMO, as Bruce is a better hitter than either of them, even if he does k a lot.

Turn Off Ads?