Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds to be "Sellers" next month?

Reds to be "Sellers" next month?

I think it's becoming obvious that a 3rd place team that responds to being 3 1/2 games behind the two front-runners (and responds with a two hit effort) isn't quite "World Series Caliber". With that being said, (& with the farm system looking it's weakest in years), let's take a look at what exactly we "have to sell":

1st Base - Votto = signed to 1 of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of ANYTHING, even the Yanks wouldn't touch him.

2nd Base - Phillips = the heart and soul of the team (even if he has been outplayed offensively by Izturis this month lol)

Shortstop - Cozart = Untradeable K machine

3rd Base - Frazier = Untradeable out machine

Catcher - Hanigan/Mesoraco = Hanigan has become a limp-wristed bum (untradeable), and we totally "missed the boat" on trading Mez (compared to last year, we'd only get peanuts for him)

Left-Field - Paul/Heisey/Robinson/Ludwick = you couldn't get anything but extreme fringe prospects for these throwaways

Center-Field - Choo = now it gets interesting. At the trade deadline Choo could very well still be worth a blue-chipper to a contender (heck, ask Arizona if we can please have DiDi back)

Right-Field - Bruce = Signed for a while on a rather "team friendly" contract. He is a K machine, so if someone wanted to offer a mega package we should atleast consider, but he probably stays

Bench - Hannahan/Izturis = Should both be playing in the Indy Leagues

Starting Pitchers

1. Cueto = Has proven quite injury prone in these last 9 months, should definitely consider an incredible package for him

2. Bailey = Everyone says this guy has "turned the corner", but to me he still looks like a mess. Would love to get 1 (or 2) TOP Prospects for him

3. Latos = the very best player on this team. He IS "The Franchise"

4. Arroyo = I'd take a bag of chips at this point, but his contract is so back-loaded (through 2020?) nobody would even give us that for him

5. Leake = has grown from a lowlife criminal/shop-lifter into quite a quality young man this year (plus has been rather impressive on the mound). I say we keep him around for awhile

6. Cingrani = he looks like a keeper, infact so much so that we should be starting him right now (if the bullpen wasn't such a frickin' joke)

Bullpen

1. Chapman = while he's much more like Rob Dibble than Johnny Franco, he's still one of the best we've seen around here in a while. There are still rumors that he may sign elsewhere in '16, so if offered a mega package, I'd say we should atleast consider it

The Rest (Broxton/Marshall/Hoover/Parra/Simon/LeCure/Masset/Partch) = perhaps someone would atleast give us a couple bucks for these guys (of course we'd just use the cash to throw at keeping Votto in town for yet another 30 years)

So, with all that in mind, are there any Top Prospects out there that you guys have your sights set on? Do you think that I have under/over-valued any of our guys?? Discuss:
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 06-27-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to be "Sellers" next month?

I don't think you understand the contract implications of trading most of the players you brought up. I also don't think you understand what situation a team would have to be in to sell off its players... let alone selling off young players who are either controllable or who are early in team friendly deals.

Stat geek...and proud

There's so many things wrong with this post I'm not even going there.

5. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-27-2013),Coopdaddy67 (07-08-2013),foxfire123 (06-27-2013),George Anderson (06-27-2013),Joseph (06-29-2013),KYRedLeg (06-30-2013),LexRedsFan (06-29-2013),marcshoe (06-27-2013),MBZags (06-27-2013),MillerTime58 (07-01-2013),Old school 1983 (06-27-2013),RedEye (06-27-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-27-2013),RedlegJake (06-27-2013),reds1869 (06-27-2013),R_Webb18 (06-28-2013),SirFelixCat (07-07-2013),Tom Servo (06-27-2013),westofyou (06-27-2013)

I think the Reds should trade Blinky and Inky, but keep Clyde
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The sky is falling.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (06-27-2013)

Hmm, I don't predict many likes for this thread.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I could listen to a reasonable well thought out thesis on why the Reds should be at least partial sellers, moving 1 or 2 key pieces to add players and prospects that still give them a shot this year while really boosting next year and the year after. (See the Chapman to Detroit thread for the gist of this type idea of "selling"). Your analysis is remarkably juvenile however. If this thread posted to ORG you'd get lambasted and pilloried. Please...try to rethink your proposal and extend us a different yet shrewd rreason for becoming more seller than buyer...like maybe appearing to be sellers but actually buying - more gain in young hopefuls and their collective talent than the veteran talents relinquished. What the media calls selling needn't really be so. But just fireselling for future years alone and punting with a 5 game wc lead and less than 5 out before July 1st and calling most of the Reds worthless is less than a quality post my friend.

You do realize the Reds are 5 games up on a playoff spot, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

foxfire123 (06-27-2013),marcshoe (06-27-2013),MBZags (06-27-2013),reds1869 (06-27-2013)

This is nonsense. If anything they should try whatever they can to pick up a decent bat for the bench. Hanahan is unbelievably bad IMO. If we had someone who could hit like a pro that could sub for Fraizer (cause that kid needs a break) it would go a long way IMO. With all the runners left on base lately the difference in one guy being productive would be significant.

The starting pitching is the best it's been in years. When the bullpen gets healthy things will look up.

Ludwick could be that spark as long as they are still in the chase when he makes it back. And with their pitching, they should be....although the Cards and Pirates need to cool off. Looks as if the Cards are starting to come back to earth a bit losing 3 of 4. The Pirates pitching is off the charts right now. Takes all the pressure off their offense.

There is too much potential here to be selling the farm. I can't imagine anyone in the front office is even considering it.

Sellers? I don't think the Reds have hit their stride yet. I think they should try and get another bat by the deadline or even next winter. Maybe use somebody like Bailey as trade bait with Cingrini, Stephenson in the wings (and I would rather sign Latos to a LTD)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post

Dallas, is that you ??

16. Likes:

foxfire123 (06-27-2013),MillerTime58 (07-01-2013),redsmetz (06-27-2013)

yellow fever makes one delirious.

It's a bit early to be "selling" isn't it?

Pacman Fever is really Jeffrey Loria

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    I think it's becoming obvious that a 3rd place team that responds to being 3 1/2 games behind the two front-runners (and responds with a two hit effort) isn't quite "World Series Caliber". With that being said, (& with the farm system looking it's weakest in years), let's take a look at what exactly we "have to sell":

1st Base - Votto = signed to 1 of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of ANYTHING, even the Yanks wouldn't touch him.

2nd Base - Phillips = the heart and soul of the team (even if he has been outplayed offensively by Izturis this month lol)

Shortstop - Cozart = Untradeable K machine

3rd Base - Frazier = Untradeable out machine

Catcher - Hanigan/Mesoraco = Hanigan has become a limp-wristed bum (untradeable), and we totally "missed the boat" on trading Mez (compared to last year, we'd only get peanuts for him)

Left-Field - Paul/Heisey/Robinson/Ludwick = you couldn't get anything but extreme fringe prospects for these throwaways

Center-Field - Choo = now it gets interesting. At the trade deadline Choo could very well still be worth a blue-chipper to a contender (heck, ask Arizona if we can please have DiDi back)

Right-Field - Bruce = Signed for a while on a rather "team friendly" contract. He is a K machine, so if someone wanted to offer a mega package we should atleast consider, but he probably stays

Bench - Hannahan/Izturis = Should both be playing in the Indy Leagues

Starting Pitchers

1. Cueto = Has proven quite injury prone in these last 9 months, should definitely consider an incredible package for him

2. Bailey = Everyone says this guy has "turned the corner", but to me he still looks like a mess. Would love to get 1 (or 2) TOP Prospects for him

4. Arroyo = I'd take a bag of chips at this point, but his contract is so back-loaded (through 2020?) nobody would even give us that for him

5. Leake = has grown from a lowlife criminal/shop-lifter into quite a quality young man this year (plus has been rather impressive on the mound). I say we keep him around for awhile

6. Cingrani = he looks like a keeper, infact so much so that we should be starting him right now (if the bullpen wasn't such a frickin' joke)

Bullpen

1. Chapman = while he's much more like Rob Dibble than Johnny Franco, he's still one of the best we've seen around here in a while. There are still rumors that he may sign elsewhere in '16, so if offered a mega package, I'd say we should atleast consider it

The Rest (Broxton/Marshall/Hoover/Parra/Simon/LeCure/Masset/Partch) = perhaps someone would atleast give us a couple bucks for these guys (of course we'd just use the cash to throw at keeping Votto in town for yet another 30 years)

So, with all that in mind, are there any Top Prospects out there that you guys have your sights set on? Do you think that I have under/over-valued any of our guys?? Discuss:

Welcome to the board Pirate Fan or cardinal Fan. Who knows. Most likely cardinal due to the arrogance but a little short of a load of bricks this side of delusional.... It may mean he's a Pirate fan.

Turn Off Ads?