Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Billy Hamilton get called up this year?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, before September 1

9 16.67%
  • Yes, after September 1

36 66.67%
  • No, he won't see Cincy until 2014

9 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Billy Hamilton get called up this year?

Will Billy Hamilton get called up this year?

After all, the guy DOES have 5 HR
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Billy Hamilton get called up this year?

If we're making a prediction on how he has played to date, I would not call him up. Why start the clock? An OBP of .302 just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously, he can improve the rest of the season, but it seems pretty clear as of now he is not ready for The Show and won't be to start next year.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I just don't see Billy getting the call since he is not on the 40 man roster. If he was tearing up AAA, I could see the argument, but I just don't see the Reds adding him to the 40 man roster now before they need to.

I'd say its possible. Not to start the clock so to speak, but in order to show him what its like to be in the bigs. That way when he starts next year in AAA, he'll have a taste and sort of know what he needs to do.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The question would be is he more useful on a playoff roster than Izturis, Hannahan, or an extra pitcher?

I would say yes, for his speed alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

mth123 (06-27-2013),Old school 1983 (06-27-2013),RedEye (06-28-2013)

I think he'll be called up as soon as Louisville's season is over, for two reasons:

1. He might be useful in the playoffs as a pinch-runner / defensive replacement.

2. It gives him time to work with major league instructors and get acclimated to the big leagues.

A couple of things to remember....unless they've changed since I learned them last year.

If he's brought up to the big leagues, but never sent back to AAA, he will not use an option. So in theory, they could call him up Sep 1 (give or take a day depending on injury and what you want to do w/ a potential playoff roster), keep him up the rest of the season (which you would do anyways) then still retain all 3 options.

If Billy needs to be optioned back down the minors each of the next 4 seasons, then we probably won't regret waiving him all the much in season 4. If he's not ready to be a full time player by then, then he's nothing more than a 5th outfielder/pinch runner buy with limited value.

I say yes, call him up on Sep 1 give or take a day each way depending on injuries/playoff roster implications then decide to start him off in the bigs next year, or option him back to AAA for more seasoning.

Yes. Not so much as a complete player, but as a pinch runner and possible defensive replacement. I think they want him on the playoff roster to use in that role.

I also think there is a good chance he starts 2014 in AAA if he doesn't significantly improve his hitting. So, I'm not saying he's brought up for the reasons most players are, instead he's brought up for basically one very specific and unique skill.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-27-2013)

Yes and before Sept 1 IMO. Even in a bad year, he is the most ikely minor league position player to come up and give the team a spark. OF PT should be wide open and Hamilton might be a fit in a rotation. He'd be an option as a defensive replacement in CF and the play-off roster will drop to 11 pitchers.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think he will be up by September, just to get a taste of the big leagues, and to pinch run and things like that.

This season so far reminds me of his Dayton season, with the slow start. I hope he finishes strong like he did that year too.

Has Hamilton's defensive game progressed to the point that he is a viable defensive replacement?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If we're making a prediction on how he has played to date, I would not call him up. Why start the clock? An OBP of .302 just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously, he can improve the rest of the season, but it seems pretty clear as of now he is not ready for The Show and won't be to start next year.
    Wasn't an option used when he made an appearance in spring training this season? I'm not sure why he wouldn't get a September call up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Has Hamilton's defensive game progressed to the point that he is a viable defensive replacement?
    Yes.

Actually, I'm impressed with the way he's transitioned to CF. I think SS is a distant memory in the Reds' eyes.

Yes, and honestly, if he is replacing Choo, he probably could have done it straight from SS. I know that sounds extreme, but I don't mean to make it sound so bad for Choo.

Turn Off Ads?