Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone needs to light a fire under this team!

Someone needs to light a fire under this team!

They are playing with no joy, no excitement, no spirit! In a season that they have one of the best built rosters possibly since the Big Red Machine they are lifeless and spiritless. The Pirates are more fun to watch.

I don't see any players on the team that can light that fire and Dusty is a "players' manager" so he just follows them around, trying not to upset anyone and hoping someone will pat him on the head and say, "Good boy".

Maybe it should be Walt---it's been done before. I'd like him to show up, unannounced, on this road trip, meet with the manager and coaches then walk out into the clubhouse and announce that Brook Jacoby has been released as hitting coach, Cesar Isturius has been released and Devin Mesorako has become the number one catcher---in L'ville. I'd then like him to call Dusty into a private meeting and make it clear that he doesn't care what the players think of 'Uncle Dusty' but if Dusty doesn't get these guys back on track in 30 days, Dusty is going to be spending a lot of time fishing on the Sacramento Delta this summer. These guys are getting paid a lot of money and not performing equal to all those raises and new contracts that were handed out over the winter. Then, I'd pay him whatever he wants but I'd hire Barry Larkin as the new hitting coach (with the unspoken word to Dusty that, there's the next manager, it's up to you. You can keep your job but you've got to show me something. It would be an appropriate message to all on board that anyone can be gone in a heartbeat----play like you want to be here and win.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

2. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone needs to light a fire under this team!

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-27-2013),kbrake (06-27-2013),RedEye (06-27-2013),RedsManRick (06-28-2013),Tom Servo (06-27-2013),westofyou (06-27-2013)

They seem like they play with plenty of fire to me.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

6/27/12 41-33 .554
    6/27/13 45-34 .570

Marty?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

9. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-27-2013),Tom Servo (06-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    No.
    Simple. Concise. Exactly how I feel.

This isn't football. I just don't think that type of "fire-lighting" translates to baseball.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

12. Likes:

westofyou (06-27-2013)

I would hate to see what kind of meeting the 23 teams that are worse than the Reds should have. Beheadings? They are one week of great baseball and some breaks from having the best record in MLB.

Too bad Woody Hayes is dead, he could punch something

15. Likes:

Big Klu (06-29-2013),Number_Fourteen (06-27-2013),Red in Chicago (06-27-2013),WMR (06-28-2013)

Sometimes I think the team is playing uninspired ball, that maybe they have stopped listening to Dusty.

But I've rejected that. I think they are good but would be better but for injuries, a couple of questionable signings, and a few disappointing performances.

I don't think it's attitude.

Look at some of the relief statistics. Look at the offense which has literally two position players over .275 BA. If they are underachieving a bit, there are baseball reasons for it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Maybe they can offer a competing human sacrifice to whatever god is acting as benefactor to the St. Louis Cardinals this season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

18. Likes:

RedEye (06-27-2013)

I think they should sacrifice a chicken in Jobu's name
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

20. Likes:

KYRedLeg (06-27-2013),Old school 1983 (06-27-2013),remdog (06-27-2013)

And then get this cardboard cutout and "disrobe" her after each victory

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

22. Likes:

RedEye (06-27-2013),reds44 (06-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Simple. Concise. Exactly how I feel.
    Yes! My approach is Simple. Concise. And CORRECT, which is the word that you can't include in your summation, Jake.

That game last night the Reds were pathetic! But, I guess you didn't watch it. Bob Cast spent a lot of money on this team and if they continue to play as lethargically as they have been, those nice bright attendance numbers will fade and there won't be enough money to hold this team together.

So, make an adjustment now or watch the core of this team leave over the next couple of years? How does getting rid of a batting coach that has been largely unsuccessful, bringing in a HOF SS with a great reputation and tons of respect to replace Jacoby, letting Dusty know that there will be no more of his interfering with the front office plans and that it's time that he get these guys playing with some focus!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Y
    That game last night the Reds were pathetic! But, I guess you didn't watch it.
    I watched it. They didn't seem necessarily very lethargic to me -- though they didn't play well, obviously.

I guess I just don't get how you know better than others that they are playing without energy when you are just watching on television like all of us. It would take an insider's view of the clubhouse to know for sure. Now, if Dusty or someone else on the coaching staff comes out and says something in the next few days that corroborates your view, I might think differently...

Then again, I'm also skeptical that winners are always the most energetic ones. Give me lethargic champs over firey losers any day of the week. Just win, baby!

Turn Off Ads?