Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tyler Washington

Tyler Washington

What kind of prospect is this guy?

He was drafted in the 43rd round in 2011 out of HS in Plano TX. He made his pro debut last season as an 18 year old in the Arizona league and in 17 games more than held his own, hitting 270/351/429 while playing mostly 2B and a little bit of SS. This season he is 19 years old and killing it in his first five games at Billings (412/500/471). He appears to have decent speed (8 steals and two triples in 22 career games) and a good approach at the plate (12 BBs : 12 Ks in 96 career PAs).

Obviously, 22 games is WAY too soon to get excited about a guy, but how does he measure up on the scouting scale and why was he drafted so late?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tyler Washington

While we are at it, there is another teenaged Texan 2B at Billings who is flying under the radar.

Avain Rachal was a 22nd rounder in the 2012 draft out of HS in Cypress TX. He also made his debut in the Arizona league as an 18 year old and more than held his own (297/364/415 in 33 games). Based on his draft position and playing time, it appears the Reds liked him more than Washington. He is also off to a hot start in Billings this season (375/444/438) and also appears to be a speed guy (8 steals and 4 triples in 37 career games). He's a bit more of a free swinger and makes less contact than Washington though (14 BBs : 27 Ks in 150 career PAs).

Same questions apply as for Washington.

Both are excellent mid prospects imo. By mid I mean guys who aren't likely to be big stars but do have real potential to be solid everyday regulars someday. Neither has what I'd call a bad walk rate but could stand a bit of improving. Iso is very similar but Rachal is a much more hit driven OBP in very limited sample. So limited I hesitate to draw any conclusion but that both appear to have an idea discipline wise. Neither just seems to hack away. Enough speed to help their status a tad. Even Rachal's k rate is not obscene. Over 600 ABs he'd only have 108 Ks. Hardly a problem. Wasington's matching k to walks rate is extremely encouraging. If the sample was large enough I'd be inclined to think he had a better chance but at this level, age and experience all I can say is both guys seem like legit prospects. AZL and Billings and the best Dayton prospects at least crack a window of hope for a system that has really disappointed me with lack of progress this summer.

Washington was drafted late but signed to a big bonus. Rachal didn't have the same pedigree, but has proven he can at least hit a little. Washington probably the better defensive player and pure athlete. Rachal may have more juice offensively. Would like to see them both getting regular ABs.

Washington, Rachal and Cory Thompson could all be darkhorses that are that much more interesting given the dearth of middle infield prospects in the system. All three are high school players drafted after the first couple rounds that have done nothing but perform in Rookie Leagues (granted Thompson's sample size is less than two weeks at this point).

Regardless, all three are definitely guys to keep an eye on - Washington and Thompson especially.

Despite being a couple years older as he was drafted out of college, Zack Vincej could be a guy to monitor as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

I like Vincej's glove but wonder if his bat will play...and darn he's a little guy!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

His name isn't Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His name isn't Tyler.
    Thanks for that enlightening information. I didn't really want to hear anything about his baseball skills or athletic tools. All I was really interested in was what his name is not.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Thanks for that enlightening information. I didn't really want to hear anything about his baseball skills or athletic tools. All I was really interested in was what his name is not.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Glad to hear it Bill.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-28-2013)

So, what is Ty's story? Was he a kid that was totally committed to going to college, and told teams that?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    So, what is Ty's story? Was he a kid that was totally committed to going to college, and told teams that?
    Not sure what the story was, but he got paid well to not go to college.

According to BA was paid $300K in 2011 draft. Plus speed; maybe enough arm to stay at SS, but likely 2B or CF; potential to hit for average, but no power.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just an FYI, his name is just Ty, not Tyler.
    I fixed this for you to prevent snarky replies.

Turn Off Ads?