Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Semi-Live Blog Thread Thingy From Texas This Weekend

Worth The Wait

Re: My Semi-Live Blog Thread Thingy From Texas This Weekend

In my seats a little earlier today... It's 95 and it feels like a relief. Pretty toasty of course, but otherwise a perfect day for a Sunday afternoon game. Blue skies, white clouds... I'm about 50 feet from Jeff Piecoro doing his reports from the field. Surprised to see Mes catching for third day in a row especially day after night game. I like the lineup though. Darvish is a big deal here.... Very popular. Looking forward to seeing what we do against him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Glorious. My friend spotted a row in the shade one section over that was unoccupied and we swooped in. It has to be 20 degrees cooler here.

Worth The Wait

Home safe and sound. Easy getting out of stadium and on the highway, virtually no traffic issues at all.

My final observations from the weekend:

--Beautiful ballpark. Worst thing about it is something that can't be controlled-- and that is the oppressive heat. But I got lucky... Friday was brutal but we were in the shade for 95% of the time Saturday and Sunday-- and therefore, it was actually quite pleasant today. But it is a scenic park (both structurally and otherwise if you get my drift), and it is convinient. No issues with long lines or other hassles. Crowds were good, not sold out. Not an overly vocal fanbase--- it is still ultimately a football town, but they are certainly responding to the Rangers recent success. Solid atmosphere. Comfortable and welcoming. Surrounding area is very "blah." You have the ballpark, Jerryworld, Six Flags.....and then lots and lots of concrete.

--Caught the Reds at a bad time. I knew I might be in trouble when I watched those games in Oakland earlier this week. Team is in a funk. They were terrible Friday night. Bats were better Saturday, but still left a lot to be desired--- Leake was the star of the weekend for the Reds. He was sensational and by far the best Red in uniform over the three games. Votto did well at the plate, but struggled badly in the field--- the Rangers flashed leather for three days and we flashed garbage in the field.

--When the team struggles all fans become body launguage experts and I'm no different. I thought there was an inordinate amount of head-hanging and sulking. Lots of dejected walks back to the dugout. Seems a little bit of fog is hanging overhead right now.

--Saturday and Sunday were entertaining games. Latos was fine. A little unlucky. Darvish was impressive, but not sure if that had more to do with him or us. Had a golden opportunity in the 8th inning today and just couldn't get one more ball to fall. I was a little angry Friday, but not today... Thought they played alright.

--Just a fantastic weekend with old friends. Known all f them 20+ years and just had a blast. Older ladies in front of us turned around at one point and said one thing she misses when in attendance is the commentary on TV, but she was happy today because we were providing it

My buddy had us play a game I'd never played before. Everyone puts in $1 to start.... After each bat you pass the money to the guy next to you. If someone hits a HR whoever is holding the money keeps it and you start over. After te bottom of each inning, you reload $1 apiece. There were no HR's hit today so the pot was at $27 to start the 9th. If the games ends without a HR being hit, whoever has the money at the final out keeps it. My friend won when Choo grounded out to end the game--- fitting because he got us the tickets through his company for Sat and Sun.

Looked forward to this for a long time and was a little bummed driving home. Always goes so fast. But I certainly feel grateful to be able to do it. I love the Reds and I love baseball. Spending a weekend at the ballpark with your close friends is just about perfect.

We were chatting during the game and I looked at the Reds dugout. I told them if I played, I'd never leave the game voluntarily. I would not have a graceful exit. I'd hold on as long as I could and they'd have to peel my uniform off. And when my playin days were over, I'd probably scratch at claw to become a manager or coach.

I will leave you with a quote from my friend. He wasn't originally going to go today but he found out last minute he was available. I told him he didn't need to feel obligated to go just because I was in town. His response: "Are you kidding? It's probably my favorite place in the world."

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?