Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cueto leaves game with injury again.

Re: Cueto leaves game with injury again.

Cueto is just as good if not better from the stretch. If it is the windup causing these lat problems I think he'll be just as effective pitching from the stretch the whole game.

2. Likes:

757690 (06-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    Cueto is just as good if not better from the stretch. If it is the windup causing these lat problems I think he'll be just as effective pitching from the stretch the whole game.
    Yep.

The whole body turn in his windup is just a mechanism to remind him stay back and not open up too quickly. I'd have to imagine that after doing that for years, he doesn't need it anymore. His body probably already has the muscle memory to stay back.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Personally, I'm stunned that people even think that the turn is even remotely related to his lat strain. That turn is all in the legs. Not his back. Watch it in slow motion. That turn is made with the ankle, knee & hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbWAHjiQaZY

I think that it's most likely he's hurting his back with the follow through. That very exaggerated crossover step he does after the pitch where the right leg swings out and towards 1st base. With his arms up and his whole torso twisting in opposite directions...that's the likely culprit IMO. Not the tiant twist. That's a very calm movement.

6. Likes:

bengalsown (07-01-2013),Number_Fourteen (06-29-2013)

Is Tom Verducci going to use this for his Verducci effect?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Personally, I'm stunned that people even think that the turn is even remotely related to his lat strain. That turn is all in the legs. Not his back. Watch it in slow motion. That turn is made with the ankle, knee & hip.

I think that it's most likely he's hurting his back with the follow through. That very exaggerated crossover step he does after the pitch where the right leg swings out and towards 1st base. With his arms up and his whole torso twisting in opposite directions...that's the likely culprit IMO. Not the tiant twist. That's a very calm movement.
    I don't pretend to know what is causing the injury(ies). But in post #33 in this thread, Cueto himself is quoted as wondering if the turn in the windup is causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

I think your explanation is much more likely. It does seem like he finishes with all his limbs moving in opposite directions.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I imagine 3 DL trips in a year happen every now and then.

But we aren't even thru June. When was the last time a Red was DL'd 4 times in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I don't pretend to know what is causing the injury(ies). But in post #33 in this thread, Cueto himself is quoted as wondering if the turn in the windup is causing it.
    or maybe not

Cueto has a twisting motion in his delivery where he turns his back to the hitter. He did not believe it was the cause of his injuries this season.

"I don't think mechanics have to do with this," Cueto said. "The pitching coach told me my mechanics are good. If I hurt with my mechanics, it would be in the oblique area."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?..._id=cinhttp://
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-29-2013)

So what are we thinking here?

Should we assume we can't count on Cueto the rest of the year? Clock is ticking...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Should we assume we can't count on Cueto the rest of the year? Clock is ticking...
    Could explain the Peavy rumors, right? Walt is a big game hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I think we should assume we can't count on any of the injured guys the rest of the year (including Ludwick). This team has been setback central for guys coming back from injuries.

"So Fla Red"

I don't follow any of the other teams as close as the Reds, but it sure seems this organization is a complete black hole of information when it comes to accurate injury and rehab reports and timetables. Nothing that is reported seems very credible or confidence inspiring.

I don't expect Cueto to return in 2013 and would love to be wrong.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

With Cingrani handling himself like he is, I'm fine with Cueto taking as long as he possibly needs (and then some) before returning. Wouldn't even mind seeing him in spot pen duty, if they think that will help him avoid another shutdown.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?