Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which former Reds great would you bring back to help this 2013 team?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which former Reds great would you bring back to help this 2013 team?

Just a hypothetical game to fool around with. Which former Reds great would you bring back to help this 2013 team? If you could have that player in their prime.

Re: Which former Reds great would you bring back to help this 2013 team?

Johnny Bench. No Contest.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

3. Likes:

hebroncougar (06-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Johnny Bench. No Contest.
    That would be my first thought. Yet Frank Robinson would be right up there too.

Joe Morgan would probably be the best addition to the lineup, but then you have the whole "who plays 2nd base and what do you do with the other guy" thing.

Finally, is this in their prime as a Red or in the their prime overall? Junior would actually be my pick if I could have 96/97 Griffey Jr, but those were of course his Seattle days.

5. Likes:

Stingray (06-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    That would be my first thought. Yet Frank Robinson would be right up there too.

Joe Morgan would probably be the best addition to the lineup, but then you have the whole "who plays 2nd base and what do you do with the other guy" thing.

Finally, is this in their prime as a Red or in the their prime overall? Junior would actually be my pick if I could have 96/97 Griffey Jr, but those were of course his Seattle days.
    I took it as a Red. I just think that Bench of 70 or 72 adding a RH bat to hit 4th with Choo, Votto and Bruce from the left side and second bananas like Phillips, Frazier and Cozart is a bigger upgrade than any other player. Robinson could play LF and fill that offensive hole, but Bench is a bigger upgrade at his position. Actually, my second choice would probably be Eric Davis 1986 to 1989 version.

Larkin would be a big upgrade, but if you look at it, Cozart is average as SS go and as great as Larkin was, he was a complementary player. Bench was a centerpiece, and the catching tandem has a lot more drawbacks than SS. The better defender has lost his bat and can't really play every day and the offensive guy hasn't really been all that offensive. Replacing them with the greatest catcher in history who hits 40+ HR and fills the clean-up spot seems like the single biggest upgrade this team could have.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Just a hypothetical game to fool around with. Which former Reds great would you bring back to help this 2013 team? If you could have that player in their prime.
    Tom Seaver
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

KGJ

9. Likes:

Hubba (06-29-2013)

Barry Larkin to play SS and hit in the two hole
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

Krawhitham (06-29-2013),RedEye (06-29-2013),redram (06-30-2013)

Larkin
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The difference between Larkin - Cozart is not as much as the difference between Bench - Hanigan/Mez.

Bench all the way.

Johnny Bench circa 1970 would be my choice I guess....
    But Frank Robinson 1961-62 would sure take care of the hole in left field and look good batting cleanup.....
    Barry Larkin 1995-96 would be quite an upgrade at short and as a number 2 hitter....
    I would be willing to take the defensive limitations to put Tony Perez 1969-70 at third....
    I really like Brandon but Joe Morgan at second would be good...
    Eric Davis 1986-87 would help...
    Tom Seaver 1977, Danny Jackson 1988, Jim Maloney 1963, Bucky Walters 1939...would all be nice fill ins while Cueto is hurting
    Ted Abernathy 1967, Randy Myers 1990 would help the bullpen...

O.K.-I'll take Bench I guess
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Sparky Anderson

16. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (06-29-2013),joshua (06-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Sparky Anderson
    How in the world would he help? He would blow out the bullpen arms with his style of usage. He was a players manager as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How in the world would he help? He would blow out the bullpen arms with his style of usage. He was a players manager as well.
    Relax, it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Relax, it was a joke.
    There is no joking during a June swoon.

Scott Sullivan, Danny Graves and Scott Williamson crica 1999 with a Stan Belinda and Jeff Shaw circa 1996 thrown in. You would only ned these 5 in your bullpen with a 5 man starting staff. Old school relievers throwing 90-100 innings.... bench help for a putrid bench. Bring in Andy Kosco circa 1973 and Mike Lum circa 1978 and there is you bench help. Championship.

Turn Off Ads?