Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I was a kid when WLW reported on Diaz's death, but in my memory, I seem to recall lightning playing a role in that incident as well.
    IIRC, he was adjusting his satellite dish and was electrocuted.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IIRC, he was adjusting his satellite dish and was electrocuted.
    Even worse:

On November 23, 1990, Díaz was killed at his home in Caracas when a satellite dish that he was adjusting on the roof of his home fell on him and crushed his neck and head against the base of the dish. He was only 37 years old.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Even worse:

On November 23, 1990, Díaz was killed at his home in Caracas when a satellite dish that he was adjusting on the roof of his home fell on him and crushed his neck and head against the base of the dish. He was only 37 years old.
    Yes that was it. I'm sure it was one of those monters dishes I used to see all over eastern Kentucky back then. I don't how they would have ever got one of those on his roof?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes that was it. I'm sure it was one of those monters dishes I used to see all over eastern Kentucky back then. I don't how they would have ever got one of those on his roof?
    We all had those in Caracas back then. A huge satellite dish (20 ft across) and a receiver and you'd pick up Galaxy 1/ Galaxy 5 and get US and international TV.

Nowadays its all the DirectTV mini-dishes (even in the poor parts of town) and Cable where possible.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

BTW I really enjoy threads like these. Obscure but interesting facts about average to not so average players have always interested me.

It would be cool if you or someone did something like this every week or so. Kinda like the birthday threads or the daily lineup threads from years past but maybe not so often.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    BTW I really enjoy threads like these. Obscure but interesting facts about average to not so average players have always interested me.

It would be cool if you or someone did something like this every week or so. Kinda like the birthday threads or the daily lineup threads from years past but maybe not so often.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to do one a week at least, time permitting.

My dad and I were at a game at Riverfront when we saw one of the rarest of sites: A Bo Diaz triple!

RIP, Bo.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?