Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

  1. #16
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I was a kid when WLW reported on Diaz's death, but in my memory, I seem to recall lightning playing a role in that incident as well.
    IIRC, he was adjusting his satellite dish and was electrocuted.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,498

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IIRC, he was adjusting his satellite dish and was electrocuted.
    Even worse:

    On November 23, 1990, Díaz was killed at his home in Caracas when a satellite dish that he was adjusting on the roof of his home fell on him and crushed his neck and head against the base of the dish. He was only 37 years old.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  4. #18
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Even worse:

    On November 23, 1990, Díaz was killed at his home in Caracas when a satellite dish that he was adjusting on the roof of his home fell on him and crushed his neck and head against the base of the dish. He was only 37 years old.
    Yes that was it. I'm sure it was one of those monters dishes I used to see all over eastern Kentucky back then. I don't how they would have ever got one of those on his roof?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #19
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,155

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yes that was it. I'm sure it was one of those monters dishes I used to see all over eastern Kentucky back then. I don't how they would have ever got one of those on his roof?
    We all had those in Caracas back then. A huge satellite dish (20 ft across) and a receiver and you'd pick up Galaxy 1/ Galaxy 5 and get US and international TV.

    Nowadays its all the DirectTV mini-dishes (even in the poor parts of town) and Cable where possible.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  6. #20
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    BTW I really enjoy threads like these. Obscure but interesting facts about average to not so average players have always interested me.

    It would be cool if you or someone did something like this every week or so. Kinda like the birthday threads or the daily lineup threads from years past but maybe not so often.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  7. #21
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,408

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    BTW I really enjoy threads like these. Obscure but interesting facts about average to not so average players have always interested me.

    It would be cool if you or someone did something like this every week or so. Kinda like the birthday threads or the daily lineup threads from years past but maybe not so often.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to do one a week at least, time permitting.

  8. #22
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Player Profiles - Bo Diaz

    My dad and I were at a game at Riverfront when we saw one of the rarest of sites: A Bo Diaz triple!

    RIP, Bo.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25