Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not walking the walk?

"So Fla Red"

Re: Not walking the walk?

Walks Will Haunt...

Pretty significant statistical drop in a short number of years. I'd say better overall pitching across the board and an overall drop in power hitters making it more practical to avoid free passes and challenge a higher percentage of hitters. Not elite pitching talent, just a lot more guys across the board with some nasty mid 90s stuff.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Blood testing.

And those check swing calls. I swear a batter barely moves the bat these days and the umps are calling them swings.
    you are 100% correct....if there was ever an area I would love to see computers involved it would be this....I would never want robots calling balls and strikes but there has to be some trchnology out there that would allow the home plate umpired to know if the batter broke his wrists or made an attempt to swing, maybe even an umpire in the booth looking at a camera from above home plate, I know that would add to the already long games but I hate to see a good at bat foiled by an ump who just wants to hurry the game along. you see it all time these days, even home plate umps are making more and more calls when its obvious that he cannot see it as clear as the field ump....the calls also go the opposite way as well, batter makes a good half swing breaking his wrists and bat clearly breaks the zone and umps say no swing.....I am all for judgement calls being part of the game and that is what makes Baseball so much fun is the human element, but check swing calls are so close to going either way I would love to see some type of technology inserted into this part of the game...reviews are not worth it because the time it would add and it happens so often in a game its just not worth the time to check it every time it happens.....there is a solution out there somewhere, we just need to find it.

What is there 1 check swing appeal per game at most? And this is part of the difference in the walk rate?

Could it be that pitchers, in general, are just learning the value of throwing strikes? Nah...that would be silly to consider...

Bum

There is also another possibility for the decreasing walk rate: expansion of the strike zone. And when I say expansion, what I really mean is calling the zone more closely to how it's actually defined in the rule book.

It is an axiom that baseball has traditionally called a very tight zone, much tighter than the rule book prescribed. But the last half dozen years, baseball has had technology installed in ballparks -- first questech and now F/X technology. These systems have been used to assess umpires. I've seen a few note that with baseball watching them and grading them, it's caused umpires to call a more literal zone.

I wonder, then, if the walks are going down because umpires are calling more strikes? It would seem like a real possibility.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There is also another possibility for the decreasing walk rate: expansion of the strike zone. And when I say expansion, what I really mean is calling the zone more closely to how it's actually defined in the rule book.

It is an axiom that baseball has traditionally called a very tight zone, much tighter than the rule book prescribed. But the last half dozen years, baseball has had technology installed in ballparks -- first questech and now F/X technology. These systems have been used to assess umpires. I've seen a few note that with baseball watching them and grading them, it's caused umpires to call a more literal zone.

I wonder, then, if the walks are going down because umpires are calling more strikes? It would seem like a real possibility.
    I don't completely disagree with this. I do believe the umpires are calling the strike zone much more accurately than in the past. However, one can't deny that pitchers like Glavine, Maddux and so on got a lot of called strikes off the outside corner; that pitch isn't being given now (not consistently anyway), so there is some validity and then there is some take back that has occurred. I would guess it is a combination of the umpires refining their strike zone more toward the definition based on the technology that is out there and also the pitchers understanding the importance of throwing strikes.

Bum

Turn Off Ads?