Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are your thoughts on Great American Ballpark?

Re: what are your thoughts on Great American Ballpark?

Like everything but the "win a Toyota" sign. Mickey Mantle is dead. Who else could possibly hit it?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I've seen people mention this a few times and talk about it on WLW. What does it refer to? I'm aware of the new development across from the HoF area, but is that it, or is there some new stuff near the stadium now?
    http://thebankscincy.com/

All of this exists now where the mud hole used to be between Paul Brown Stadium and GABP. It's pretty great. The entire place is energized during Reds games, people just come there to hang out and watch at the bars and restaurants even if they don't have tickets to the game.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    http://thebankscincy.com/

All of this exists now where the mud hole used to be between Paul Brown Stadium and GABP. It's pretty great. The entire place is energized during Reds games, people just come there to hang out and watch at the bars and restaurants even if they don't have tickets to the game.
    Aye. That is a nice a place. Never realized it had a proper name. It's done wonders for making people want to hang around the park before/after the games.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

If you want a great game experience, GABP is a great place to a watch a game. They really have great sight lines. I always feel that I am on top of the action. They also have a good choice of concession options.

I think Camden is the best looking of the retro ballparks with inner harbor area having a great vibe. However, the lines of sight are not that great. I went to games there when it was tough ticket so just got whatever tickets that I could find. A lot of seats don't have the greatest sight angles. The old school supports look cool but cause a lot of seats to partially obstructed.

Turner Field is okay, but it seems over rated on some of these lists. It's really not that different than the multipurpose stadiums of the 70s. Most of the lower level seats give you good viewing angles, but one feels further away than GABP. Also, the stadium is mostly enclosed so you don't get any air flow close to the field, which one needs when its a 95% humidity weekend. It has pretty good game atmosphere and the ball park staff really has a great attitude about making it a fun experience for the fans. The concessions options are kind of limited.

Turner... I've been there several times, and it's just "okay." It's a nice stadium but it does seem generic.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Turner... I've been there several times, and it's just "okay." It's a nice stadium but it does seem generic.
    It just got about 100% better. They are opening a Waffle House inside the stadium tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It just got about 100% better. They are opening a Waffle House inside the stadium tomorrow.
    Anyone up for a road trip?

I'm surprised they didn't have one in there already.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Eating a waffle with butter and syrup and trying to cut it while sitting in a seat watching a game could get sticky.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by miamiredskin View Post
    Like everything but the "win a Toyota" sign. Mickey Mantle is dead. Who else could possibly hit it?
    It's not that far...we've had guys hit the ball over it. Votto and Bruce have. Heck, Votto's triple last night would have sailed over it.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I was at GABP two years ago for the Reds/Cardinals (First time Cardinals were back in town since the brawl) and Creedence Clearwater concert. One of the best fireworks shows I've seen, and living across the river from Marietta OH (Sternwheel Festival) that says a lot.

That being said, I love being with the home fans, but my home away from home is PNC Park. IMO the best ballpark in all of baseball, parking close to the stadium, the food and ticket prices are reasonable, and of course Primanti Brothers.

Haven't been to Cincinnati since the Banks opened though. Will definitely have to check it out sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Well, GABP ranks 8th on the list of most expensive beer at 46 cents per ounce.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Southern California off the Orange Freeway right next to the Jack in the Box comes in with the cheapest at 28 cents an ounce.

http://deadspin.com/infographic-whic...eer-1253093614

They call me "chef"

Visited GABP for the first time last month. I loved it. Much better than my local stadium at Chavez Revine. I've also been to Petco and Miller Park and I think only Miller Park gives GABP a run for its money.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    GABP is a good, not great, ballpark. But "The Banks" has put it over-the-top as far as a good overall area to see a game and hang out before/afterwward. They could not have done a better job with The Banks project (other than build it a few years earlier).
    the banks reminds me of the power and light district across from the sprint center here in kansas city. lots of bars and places to eat before an event. was impressed with how the banks had grown when i was in cincy last summer.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?