Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto's power numbers

Votto's power numbers

Votto has come back from his knee surgery and performed very well; however, his power numbers are noticeably down from his career average. His iso currently sits at .186, .45 points lower than his career average of .230. It's worth considering the possibility that pitchers are more weary of Votto's talent and he gets fewer pitches to drive, but I think pitchers have known about Votto for awhile now, so I'm not buying that excuse. Is it a change in approach? Is the knee still recovering? Random variation?

It's worth noting his LD% is around his career average, but he appears to be hitting more ground balls (45% in 2013 vs 41% career) and fewer fly balls (27.5 for 2013 and 33.5 career).

What do you think is going on?
    Just call me Legs

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Votto's power numbers

I think it's down across the league...not sure it's him
    at all.

Lots of sluggers with power outages.

It will be back.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Last night did I detect an effort by him to start pulling the ball? He popped up twice in the last half of the game to the right side. The announcers made note.

If you're looking for holes in his game it would actually be that he doesn't leverage enough to the swing side. Is his game getting too opposite field?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Last night did I detect an effort by him to start pulling the ball? He popped up twice in the last half of the game to the right side. The announcers made note.

If you're looking for holes in his game it would actually be that he doesn't leverage enough to the swing side. Is his game getting too opposite field?
    Votto used to never pop up. The first time I saw it this season I was in shock. I'm worried that he's not seeing the ball as well as he used to, because I've noticed a lot of balls piped down the middle of the plate that he lets go by.

Has anyone else noticed it?

Turn Off Ads?