Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt J's biggest two days as Reds GM?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Walt J's biggest two days as Reds GM?

The next two days are the biggest in Walt's career in Cincinnati, IMO.

I thank him for changing the culture of this organization and giving us perhaps the best starting pitching I've witnessed in my lifetime, but we've arrived at a key juncture for the Reds.

For three years, little has been done at the deadline to significantly improve this team's playoff chances while other teams have done so. Maybe there were legitimate reasons, but the bottom line is the Reds didn't get what they needed to get over the hump.

The window is not going to stay open forever. Surely Walt knows this.

What will he do?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt J's biggest two days as Reds GM?

I'm sure he'll give up 2 of the only legitimate prospects we have left in the minors for an overpaid, overweight reliever

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I'm sure he'll give up 2 of the only legitimate prospects we have left in the minors for an overpaid, overweight reliever
    Sheesh. Bitter much?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

kbrake (07-30-2013),KYRedLeg (07-30-2013),PepperJack (07-30-2013),reds44 (07-30-2013),redsmetz (07-30-2013),Tom Servo (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Sheesh. Bitter much?
    Moreso at the ridiculous contract they signed him to after the season.

If Walt ships off Stephenson, Hamilton or Winker for anyone... I'll flip out. I don't believe that we have a "small window" to complete in. But I certainly will if our farm system is devastated any further.

And the fact I mentioned only one guy above AA says plenty about the shape it's in now.

9. Likes:

dfs (07-30-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    If Walt ships off Stephenson, Hamilton or Winker for anyone... I'll flip out. I don't believe that we have a "small window" to complete in. But I certainly will if our farm system is devastated any further.

And the fact I mentioned only one guy above AA says plenty about the shape it's in now.
    I would move Hamilton or Winker in the right deal. The right deal won't be offered for Stephenson though. You simply can't trade a guy like him.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-30-2013),KYRedLeg (07-30-2013),Old school 1983 (07-30-2013),reds44 (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would move Hamilton or Winker in the right deal. The right deal won't be offered for Stephenson though. You simply can't trade a guy like him.
    Yep. Unfortunately, Hamilton has limited trade value anymore

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Yep. Unfortunately, Hamilton has limited trade value anymore
    Absolutely not true.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

EMAW

I have a hunch people will be very disappointed when this team does nothing. Reminds me of the 2011 season, swept the Giants at the deadline and made no deals, the rest of the season was not pretty playing teams with reinforcements .

15. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (07-30-2013),Benihana (07-30-2013),joshua (07-30-2013),RedsManRick (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Absolutely not true.
    This sounds like a guy who has massive trade value...

At least according to one MLB scout, the Cincinnati Reds’ top prospect has a future in the majors as a bottom-of-the-lineup batter playing solid defense.

“But that’s even stretching it for me,” the scout told Baseball Prospectus this week after Louisville Bats center fielder Hamilton went 1-for-4 in Wednesday’s Triple-A All-Star game.

Hamilton, known for speed on the base paths, sports a .243 batting average and .300 on-base percentage in his first season with the Triple-A Bats. But if he gets aboard, watch out. Hamilton leads the International League in stolen bases with 52 – 21 more than any other player.

"The speed is absolutely fantastic,” the scout told Baseball Prospectus, which often protect scouts’ anonymity to ensure an honest evaluation. “He's fun to watch when he's on the bases, but I just don't see how it's going to work. There's nothing else that makes me believe he's an everyday big leaguer.

“You can knock the bat out of his hands with good velocity and he doesn't have the discerning eye to work counts and lay off spin. I just think the hit and on-base comes up short and he's a virtual zero offensively.”

I don't think they do much if anything.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    I have a hunch people will be very disappointed when this team does nothing. Reminds me of the 2011 season, swept the Giants at the deadline and made no deals, the rest of the season was not pretty playing teams with reinforcements .
    Broxton was acquired for Donnie Joesph & JC Sulbaran

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Broxton was acquired for Donnie Joesph & JC Sulbaran
    And then re-signed at a ridiculous contract which will probably render the Reds useless to resign Shin Soo Choo

I don't think there is much Walt can do. Who is available that would improve the Reds? I don't think any one player is going to make a difference...maybe the Dodgers will trade Puig for Hamilton!
    The offense got lost during baggage transfer leaving San Francisco, but i find it difficult to imagine picking anyone up in the next 2 days who would be a vast improvement over the guys we now have. I rate the lineup as follows:
    10= one of best at the position, 5= average, 1= Willie Harris would be an upgrade

- Votto 1st = 10
    - Phillips 2B = 9
    - Frazier 3B = 5
    - Cozart SS = 4
    - Mesoraco C = 5
    - Bruce RF = 9
    - Choo CF = 9
    - Heisey OF = 4
    - Robinson OF = 5

I can only imagine a couple upgrades that would improve this team and be within the Reds budget. This is an underachieving team. If they do hang on and make the playoffs I don't see them getting past the Wild Card game.

Iif I was a starter on this team i would be kicking someones behind, they have to throw shutouts to get a win.

21. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (07-30-2013),Edskin (07-30-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck6660 View Post

I can only imagine a couple upgrades that would improve this team and be within the Reds budget. This is an underachieving team. If they do hang on and make the playoffs I don't see them getting past the Wild Card game.
    Same here. I just hope Walt doesn't ship prospects off for a rental in hopes of slightly increasing our chances of winning a one game playoff.

23. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (07-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?