Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

In 2008, Baseball America ranked Chris Davis as the Rangers #2 prospect, and said "Davis has taken off as a power hitter in pro ball...Not only does Davis possess well above average power, but he knows how to use it...Davis could be an impact middle of the order bat in the big leagues..."

So I don't see it as a fluke or PED driven. I always assume that the player is innocent until proven guilty, and in Davis case, there aren't even any allegations out there.

Lots of top prospects don't pan out, and fall by the wayside. In some cases, they do. I think BA pretty well nailed it in their 2008 prospect report... and I'm glad I have him on one of my fantasy teams (wish he was on the others too..)
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 07-01-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Aren't you the same guy who said Cozart wouldn't improve entering his age 27 season this year in the majors? Yet you're going to take the numbers of a 25 year old in the PCL as meaning a lot?
    Cozart had very little room to improve. He basically did exactly what was expected of him from all of the scouting reports on him for his entire career: Will struggle to hit for average, low walks, solid power, good defense.

And it isn't that the numbers he put up at 25 that are the point. It just backs up earlier points, that he has tons of power. Like when he hit 36 home runs as a 21 year old. Or that scouting reports for years said he had huge power potential. Don't harp on the one thing, but look at all that I said.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    In 2008, Baseball America ranked Chris Davis as the Rangers #2 prospect, and said "Davis has taken off as a power hitter in pro ball...Not only does Davis possess well above average power, but he knows how to use it...Davis could be an impact middle of the order bat in the big leagues..."

So I don't see it as a fluke or PED driven. I always assume that the player is innocent until proven guilty, and in Davis case, there aren't even any allegations out there.

Lots of top prospects don't pan out, and fall by the wayside. In some cases, they do. I think BA pretty well nailed it in their 2008 prospect report... and I'm glad I have him on one of my fantasy teams (wish he was on the others too..)
    People keep coming back to this "Well, he was projected to have great power in the minors" thing. That may certainly be true, but there's a big difference in being projected as a nice power hitter and having 56 XBH on July 1.

As I said earlier, I don't know what to think of him, but MLB has thoroughly earned our skepticism over the last 15-20 years.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    People keep coming back to this "Well, he was projected to have great power in the minors" thing. That may certainly be true, but there's a big difference in being projected as a nice power hitter and having 56 XBH on July 1.

As I said earlier, I don't know what to think of him, but MLB has thoroughly earned our skepticism over the last 15-20 years.
    People seem to be really glossing over the whole "he's hitting his peak years" thing.

Seriously, he's 27 this year. The prime years of a players career. He's always had 30+ HR power. It shouldn't be surprising that he's turned it up even a higher notch now that he's hitting his peak.

7. Likes:

mbgrayson (07-02-2013),RedEye (07-01-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    People seem to be really glossing over the whole "he's hitting his peak years" thing.

Seriously, he's 27 this year. The prime years of a players career. He's always had 30+ HR power. It shouldn't be surprising that he's turned it up even a higher notch now that he's hitting his peak.
    I tend to agree. But he's skipped the impressive progression and gone straight to absurd.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Except on RedsZone, where we're pretty sure Yadier Molina is using, and we're trying to make the case for Davis as we speak.

This year, Davis is hitting a HR every 9.6 AB.
    Last year, the NL leader in HR hit a HR every 14.5 AB. (1)

Not saying that is even close enough to indict the guy, but it does make you wonder.

(1) That guy is, of course, a guy who has been caught using PEDs not once but twice.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Except on RedsZone, where we're pretty sure Yadier Molina is using, and we're trying to make the case for Davis as we speak.
    Come on. There's maybe one or two people suggesting he *might* be using, and it doesn't even seem those people are trying very hard to make a case.

Almost this entire thread is ever been supportive of Davis' power or has been a generic discussion about allegations of a more broad variety. Very little of this thread has actually been outright pointing a finger at Davis.

Molina's situation is a bit different.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Come on. There's maybe one or two people suggesting he *might* be using, and it doesn't even seem those people are trying very hard to make a case.

Almost this entire thread is ever been supportive of Davis' power or has been a generic discussion about allegations of a more broad variety. Very little of this thread has actually been outright pointing a finger at Davis.

Molina's situation is a bit different.
    Any finger pointing at all is unwarranted IMO for either Molina or Davis.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Any finger pointing at all is unwarranted IMO for either Molina or Davis.
    Clearly a lot of people disagree with you, especially in the case of Molina. Subjectivity of opinion should carry a lot more latitude than what you're trying to force on others.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Clearly a lot of people disagree with you, especially in the case of Molina. Subjectivity of opinion should carry a lot more latitude than what you're trying to force on others.
    Which is why I wrote "IMO." :-)

Seriously though, subjectivity of opinion shouldn't carry any "latitude" when it comes to serious accusations of this sort. There is no strong case -- actually no case at all -- against Molina or Davis. And I am sorry, but I'll keep popping up on the next thread of this sort, too, to point that fact out.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

15. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-02-2013)

Which is why I wrote "IMO." :-)

Seriously though, subjectivity of opinion shouldn't carry any "latitude" when it comes to serious accusations of this sort. There is no strong case -- actually no case at all -- against Molina or Davis. And I am sorry, but I'll keep popping up on the next thread of this sort, too, to point that fact out.
    But your "IMO" is trying to stop people from expressing their opinion about PED allegations. Cushioning an opinion with "IMO" when the intent is to silence other opinions seems like a futile attempt at humility.

You're so concerned with the quality of discussions on this board, I wonder if it has occurred to you at how disruptive it is to discussions to continually "popping up" in threads to say we have no right to discuss it.

If you don't want to discuss allegations, then here's an idea: don't. Let the people who do continue to discuss with others that do. It's not your job to play board policeman. If the moderators don't want discussions about PEDS on this board, they will say so.

17. Likes:

remdog (07-14-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sooner or later the common fan will learn what the statistics have shown for years now: the effects of steroids were dramatically overblown. Actually it will probably take decades for most fans to figure that out, mainly because they don't want to believe it. The whole "steroids were the reason" myth is so deeply ingrained in the public consciousness that it is a waste of time to even attempt to explain why it is wrong. People emotionally freak out when their sacred paradigm is challenged, even when it rather easily disproved.
    Yes, what irony. What fools we'll all look like when we gaze back upon Barry Bonds and think that it was just how the baseball was wound. Or expansion.

Or the same ballparks they played in back then as they do now.

It was like the end of Dallas, just a dream....

But your "IMO" is trying to stop people from expressing their opinion about PED allegations. Cushioning an opinion with "IMO" when the intent is to silence other opinions seems like a futile attempt at humility.

You're so concerned with the quality of discussions on this board, I wonder if it has occurred to you at how disruptive it is to discussions to continually "popping up" in threads to say we have no right to discuss it.

If you don't want to discuss allegations, then here's an idea: don't. Let the people who do continue to discuss with others that do. It's not your job to play board policeman. If the moderators don't want discussions about PEDS on this board, they will say so.
    But isn't it my right to express my opinion when I think there is no foundation to an argument? And that it is morally objectionable to boot?

It isn't that I don't want discussions of PEDs. It is that I don't want every good performance to turn into an immediate witch hunt.

Are you a moderator who gets to decide when I can't speak up? If not, I would suggest not telling me my role either.

But isn't it my right to express my opinion when I think there is no foundation to an argument? And that it is morally objectionable to boot?

It isn't that I don't want discussions of PEDs. It is that I don't want every good performance to turn into an immediate witch hunt.

Are you a moderator who gets to decide when I can't speak up? If not, I would suggest not telling me my role either.
    That would be fine if that's all you're doing. But it's not. You continually tell people they shouldn't be discussing it.

If you want to disagree with someone's belief that so and so is a reasonable candidate for PEDS, go right ahead. You have that right to said opinion. But disagreeing with that and telling them they have no business discussing it are two very different things. You've constantly been making a habit of telling people what they can and cannot discuss with regard to PEDS. It's not your place.

21. Likes:

remdog (07-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?