Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 392

Thread: Chris Davis

  1. #16
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,710

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sooner or later the common fan will learn what the statistics have shown for years now: the effects of steroids were dramatically overblown. Actually it will probably take decades for most fans to figure that out, mainly because they don't want to believe it. The whole "steroids were the reason" myth is so deeply ingrained in the public consciousness that it is a waste of time to even attempt to explain why it is wrong. People emotionally freak out when their sacred paradigm is challenged, even when it rather easily disproved.
    Luis Gonzalez was strong!!!!!!














    That 1 year.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Chris Davis

    30 Home Runs Before All-Star Break

    Associated Press | June 30, 2009
    Since 1961

    2009-Albert Pujols, St. Louis, 30

    2007-Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees, 30

    2006-David Ortiz, Boston, 31

    2006-Jim Thome, Chicago White Sox, 30

    2003-Barry Bonds, San Francisco, 30

    2001-Barry Bonds, San Francisco, 39

    2001-Luis Gonzalez, Arizona, 35

    2000-Mark McGwire, St. Louis, 30

    1999-Sammy Sosa, Chicago Cubs, 32

    1999-Jose Canseco, Tampa Bay, 31

    1998-Mark McGwire, St. Louis, 37

    1998-Ken Griffey Jr., Seattle, 35

    1998-Sammy Sosa, Chicago Cubs, 33

    1998-Greg Vaughn, San Diego, 30

    1997-Mark McGwire, Oakland, 31

    1997-Ken Griffey Jr., Seattle, 30

    1996-Brady Anderson, Baltimore, 30

    1994-Ken Griffey Jr., Seattle 33

    1994-Matt Williams, San Francisco, 33

    1994-Frank Thomas, Chicago White Sox, 32

    1989-Kevin Mitchell, San Francisco, 31

    1987-Mark McGwire, Oakland, 33

    1976-Mike Schmidt, Philadelphia, 31

    1976-Dave Kingman, New York Mets, 30

    1973-Willie Stargell, Pittsburgh, 30

    1971-Willie Stargell, Pittsburgh, 30

    1969-Reggie Jackson, Oakland, 37

    1969-Frank Howard, Washington, 34

    1969-Willie McCovey, San Francisco, 30

    1964-Harmon Killebrew, Minnesota, 30

    1961-Roger Maris, New York Yankees, 33

  4. Likes:

    Billy Hamilton's Legs (07-15-2013)

  5. #18
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sooner or later the common fan will learn what the statistics have shown for years now: the effects of steroids were dramatically overblown. Actually it will probably take decades for most fans to figure that out, mainly because they don't want to believe it. The whole "steroids were the reason" myth is so deeply ingrained in the public consciousness that it is a waste of time to even attempt to explain why it is wrong. People emotionally freak out when their sacred paradigm is challenged, even when it rather easily disproved.
    lol okay because before McGwire/Sosa went all nuts in 98 there had been TWO players in baseball history to hit 60 HRs and then Sosa went and did it 3 out of 4 years. And the top 6 single season HRs in baseball history happened by Bonds/McGwire/Sosa. Brady Anderson hit 50 as a 32 year old after never hitting more than 21. Bonds hitting 27 more HRs as a 36 year old than he ever had in his career.

    Bonds hit .370 and .362 as a 37 and 39 year old. Had a 1.045 OPS as a 42 year old.

    Totally overblown.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  6. Likes:

    Always Red (06-30-2013), bigredmechanism (07-19-2013), Billy Hamilton's Legs (07-15-2013), Crumbley (07-01-2013), dubc47834 (07-01-2013), edabbs44 (06-30-2013), GullyFoyle (07-15-2013), Larkin Fan (07-05-2013), MBZags (07-02-2013), OesterPoster (07-15-2013), RiverRat13 (07-01-2013), Rojo (07-16-2013), Spitball (07-01-2013), The Operator (07-13-2013), wlf WV (07-15-2013), Wonderful Monds (06-30-2013)

  7. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: Chris Davis

    He's on those Brady Anderson 1-year steroids

  8. #20
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,071

    Re: Chris Davis

    Hey, I'm just common folk. But I'm striving to be at the table someday when everything is revealed. Hopefully I'm deemed worthy. If not, I'll be OK.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  9. #21
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Career mediocre player who is on a pace to hit 62 bombs and 50 plus doubles. Definite suspicion
    Career player who's always hit for a lot of power and is now at his peak years
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  10. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (07-02-2013)

  11. #22
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sooner or later the common fan will learn what the statistics have shown for years now: the effects of steroids were dramatically overblown. Actually it will probably take decades for most fans to figure that out, mainly because they don't want to believe it. The whole "steroids were the reason" myth is so deeply ingrained in the public consciousness that it is a waste of time to even attempt to explain why it is wrong. People emotionally freak out when their sacred paradigm is challenged, even when it rather easily disproved.
    This is BS, though.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  12. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (07-19-2013), Rojo (07-16-2013), Spitball (07-01-2013)

  13. #23
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    lol okay because before McGwire/Sosa went all nuts in 98 there had been TWO players in baseball history to hit 60 HRs and then Sosa went and did it 3 out of 4 years. And the top 6 single season HRs in baseball history happened by Bonds/McGwire/Sosa. Brady Anderson hit 50 as a 32 year old after never hitting more than 21. Bonds hitting 27 more HRs as a 36 year old than he ever had in his career.

    Bonds hit .370 and .362 as a 37 and 39 year old. Had a 1.045 OPS as a 42 year old.

    Totally overblown.
    SHEEPLE.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  14. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (07-01-2013)

  15. #24
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Sooner or later the common fan will learn what the statistics have shown for years now: the effects of steroids were dramatically overblown. Actually it will probably take decades for most fans to figure that out, mainly because they don't want to believe it. The whole "steroids were the reason" myth is so deeply ingrained in the public consciousness that it is a waste of time to even attempt to explain why it is wrong. People emotionally freak out when their sacred paradigm is challenged, even when it rather easily disproved.
    Except that it isn't easily disproved. In fact, it strongly is correlated that in the mid 90's through 2005, offense was up among an all-time high in baseball.

    Not by coincidence, since testing was implemented in 2006, the offense has gone away. Really not rocket science to figure out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  16. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (07-19-2013), Spitball (07-01-2013), The Operator (07-13-2013), Tom Servo (06-30-2013), Wonderful Monds (06-30-2013)

  17. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,095

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Except that it isn't easily disproved. In fact, it strongly is correlated that in the mid 90's through 2005, offense was up among an all-time high in baseball.

    Not by coincidence, since testing was implemented in 2006, the offense has gone away. Really not rocket science to figure out.
    A few bigger stadiums has opened up in the 2000's as well. Petco, Safeco, Busch, PNC Park, Target Field. That certainly adds a bit too it as well. Combine it with better pitching and teams being more defensive minded (leading to lesser hitting players) and we are seeing some of the ramifications. There are certainly some explanations for why offense is down and it isn't automatically "STEROIDS".

  18. Likes:

    jojo (07-01-2013), RedEye (07-01-2013)

  19. #26
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A few bigger stadiums has opened up in the 2000's as well. Petco, Safeco, Busch, PNC Park, Target Field. That certainly adds a bit too it as well. Combine it with better pitching and teams being more defensive minded (leading to lesser hitting players) and we are seeing some of the ramifications. There are certainly some explanations for why offense is down and it isn't automatically "STEROIDS".
    The error is starting the discussion with players like Sosa and McGwire and then moving towards trends across the entire league. Forget about the league, the stadiums and everything else. It isn't a coincidence that the guys breaking all the records have also been the same ones showing up in reports about using.

  20. #27
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,864

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A few bigger stadiums has opened up in the 2000's as well. Petco, Safeco, Busch, PNC Park, Target Field. That certainly adds a bit too it as well. Combine it with better pitching and teams being more defensive minded (leading to lesser hitting players) and we are seeing some of the ramifications. There are certainly some explanations for why offense is down and it isn't automatically "STEROIDS".
    Absolutely. However, looking at the case studies, would Bonds, Sosa, and Mac have obliterated Maris without the use of steroids? I have seen some say yes, which I disagree with.

    To act like the science is in on this one is a folly at best, and an insult at worst.

  21. #28
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A few bigger stadiums has opened up in the 2000's as well. Petco, Safeco, Busch, PNC Park, Target Field. That certainly adds a bit too it as well. Combine it with better pitching and teams being more defensive minded (leading to lesser hitting players) and we are seeing some of the ramifications. There are certainly some explanations for why offense is down and it isn't automatically "STEROIDS".
    Three of the five places you mentioned have been open between 10 and 15 years. The decline in offense has primarily occurred the last five.

    The bigger ballparks may have mitigated the explosion slightly, but it doesn't explain the clear downward trend since the implementation of testing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  22. #29
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,864

    Re: Chris Davis

    I enjoyed the first page of this thread where stats were used to show that Davis shouldn't automatically be a PED suspect. A question was respectfully raised, and reasonably answered as well as could be. No harm done. Of course things are headed in a wacky direction now...

  23. #30
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I enjoyed the first page of this thread where stats were used to show that Davis shouldn't automatically be a PED suspect. A question was respectfully raised, and reasonably answered as well as could be. No harm done. Of course things are headed in a wacky direction now...
    The PEDS police have been on patrol 24/7 on this board recently. The slightest hint of someone raising suspicion about a player is met with stern finger pointing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25