Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What I mean is that the stakes are higher in the logical argument department. You need to have more evidence to prove someone is on PEDs than you do to say whether or not he hits with power some of the time.
    I don't think we are in a "prove" situation here.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    We should be given what people are accusing others of.

4. Likes:

RedEye (07-17-2013)

Not sure why that matters, especially since that one thing off the field being discussed could directly relate to performance on the field. When the PED era was in full swing, many of these guys were very willing to invite the fans into their off the field training regimes.
    In terms of evidentiary argument, the burden of proof is on the accuser -- or the speculator, as it were. Listing of ISO numbers isn't even close to crossing that threshold.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

So call it a "speculative" or a "wondering" situation. Without some sort of smoking gun, it's just insidious gossip IMO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

So call it a "speculative" or a "wondering" situation. Without some sort of smoking gun, it's just insidious gossip IMO.
    That's life. The game is different today, and this reality. I am sure GMs and other FO types have these same discussions when assessing players. They have to consider these things when assessing a player's worth. We should have the same discussions when assessing and discussing a player's performance, generally.

Does it make a GM a bad person if they decided not to pursue a FA if they had a feeling that the person had an elevated probability of being a user?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That's life. The game is different today, and this reality. I am sure GMs and other FO types have these same discussions when assessing players. They have to consider these things when assessing a player's worth. We should have the same discussions when assessing and discussing a player's performance, generally.

Does it make a GM a bad person if they decided not to pursue a FA if they had a feeling that the person had an elevated probability of being a user?
    It would make a GM a bad person if they publicly stated that is why they didn't and there wasn't a positive test. And I bet that GM would be facing some sort of punishment for making the statement too. Be it from baseball or a lawsuit.

No, it most certainly isn't "life." IMO we need to insist on a higher level of argument and better critical thinking skills. But I know I am fighting a lonely battle there.

GMs can have all kinds of discussions about players that aren't ethical. Doesn't mean we should all sink to that level.

No, it most certainly isn't "life." IMO we need to insist on a higher level of argument and better critical thinking skills. But I know I am fighting a lonely battle there.

GMs can have all kinds of discussions about players that aren't ethical. Doesn't mean we should all sink to that level.
    You think that it is unethical for a GM to consider potential PED usage when evaluating a player for acquisition?

You think that it is unethical for a GM to consider potential PED usage when evaluating a player for acquisition?
    Depends on the evidence he has.

Depends on the evidence he has.
    That's ridiculous.

That's ridiculous.
    What's ridiculous? How can I comment on whether something is unethical if I don't know what it is?

It's a good point about what would you do if you were a GM.

Redeye, Doug, anyone else...

If you were a GM, and Davis was a free agent after this year and you were pursuing him or even had an agreed upon framework for a deal....

Would you put out any feelers, any investigation, anything at all through the back channels to see if your new employee was a risk for breaking the PED policy?

Bear in mind, if he were to get caught, the media would have a field day saying "How could you not have known".

RedEye,
    Let's say the Orioles call Walt tonight and propose to trade Davis for Leake and some prospects. Would Walt be within his bounds to then send out feelers to see if there is any connection to PEDs for Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would you put out any feelers, any investigation, anything at all through the back channels to see if your new employee was a risk for breaking the PED policy?
    A background check for drug use and/or criminal behavior would probably be part of the standard procedure in that situation (I don't actually know this, but it makes sense that it would be). If concrete evidence turned up that a player had indeed used PEDs, then yes, I think it would affect my decision about whether or not to sign him. I would not, however, consider statistical analysis as sufficient for that purpose.

Beat me to it, kal.

Turn Off Ads?