Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

Remember this is a guy that as a 22 year old hit 40 homeruns across the 3 highest levels of organized baseball.

That's not exactly common either.

If there were a guy that had the ability to bust out of relative anonymity and hit a bunch of homeruns in a short period of time, he was as likely a candidate as anyone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Davis hit 9 home runs beyond 90 degrees of dead center field last season. This year he already has 14 such home runs. In 2013 he has 9 "just enough" home runs. In 2012 he had 7 such home runs all season. He is pulling the ball a little bit more, but when he goes the other way, the ball is going deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Equaling? Isn't he tied for 2nd with McGwire and Reggie, behind Bonds?.
    That's on me. I have totally tuned out the Bonds/McGwire/Sosa circus, and was still under the impression that Reggie had the record.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Remember this is a guy that as a 22 year old hit 40 homeruns across the 3 highest levels of organized baseball.

That's not exactly common either.

If there were a guy that had the ability to bust out of relative anonymity and hit a bunch of homeruns in a short period of time, he was as likely a candidate as anyone.
    I'm not sure that he did what you are claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So if he doesn't, then he's a witch?
    No. He's a duck.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Guys, everyone is free to their opinion here.

If you agree or disagree with a post, feel free to say so. But constantly piling on and telling someone they shouldn't be bringing something up really doesn't do anything but stifle discussion, and nobody should want that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

8. Likes:

Brutus (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Guys, everyone is free to their opinion here.

If you agree or disagree with a post, feel free to say so. But constantly piling on and telling someone they shouldn't be bringing something up really doesn't do anything but stifle discussion, and nobody should want that.
    Is it not a viable discussion tactic to say that something should not be part of the discussion? Without some sort of tangible evidence, PED speculation of this sort tends to go around in circles -- some would claim it is itself stifling of meaningful baseball discussion.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Considering people use statistics to make claims for support of PEDS allegations, it's a very, very weak claim to act as if discussion is stifled by allegations.

Look at this thread here... there is some terrific statistical analysis of Davis' career. Discussion is hardly stifled. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad discussion. In fact, some of the PEDS discussions are most fruitful and active discussions on this forum, so long as people aren't trying to suppress it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Considering people use statistics to make claims for support of PEDS allegations, it's a very, very weak claim to act as if discussion is stifled by allegations.

Look at this thread here... there is some terrific statistical analysis of Davis' career. Discussion is hardly stifled. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad discussion. In fact, some of the PEDS discussions are most fruitful and active discussions on this forum, so long as people aren't trying to suppress it.
    I'm only saying I have the right to express my opinion -- that the conversation should not be going on given the evidence. My hope is to convince others of that as well.

I just don't get what the yield of this supposed "fruitful" conversation is supposed to be.

Beginning = Davis has 37 HR and might have done PEDs (according to wild speculation)

End = Davis has 37 HR and might have done PEDs (according to wild speculation)
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

At one point in the past month or so, you made a comment Redeye which basically said - I haven't heard from a mod on this subject so I am going to keep fighting my fight.

Well, now a mod has weighed in.

I totally like you and your usual posts other than this. But it does stifle discussion to keep saying you disagree with the subject and we should remain silent on the issue. We know that you feel that way.

13. Likes:

RedEye (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    At one point in the past month or so, you made a comment Redeye which basically said - I haven't heard from a mod on this subject so I am going to keep fighting my fight.

Well, now a mod has weighed in.
    Ah, didn't realize that this had happened! Okay, fine. My lips are now sealed. Carry on, ladies and gents!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

My buddy over here is an avid fan of the Orioles. I have been hearing about Davis since the beginning of last season "You watch, as soon as he learns to lay off the breaking pitch low and away he will be a beast. They'll have to come inside the zone with fastballs and he'll hit 50 HRs this year." <---That was said at the beginning of last year and about once every 2 or 3 weeks for the last 16 months or so. I don't see the steroid allegations holding true. Davis has always had huge power, I think its more of an adjustment on his part. Maybe he is taking to the Votto school of hitting somewhat. Take a strike early in the count because you probably couldn't hit it hard anyways. I watch almost as many O's games as Reds now, and to my eye, that appears to be the case.

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-15-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    My buddy over here is an avid fan of the Orioles. I have been hearing about Davis since the beginning of last season "You watch, as soon as he learns to lay off the breaking pitch low and away he will be a beast. They'll have to come inside the zone with fastballs and he'll hit 50 HRs this year." <---That was said at the beginning of last year and about once every 2 or 3 weeks for the last 16 months or so. I don't see the steroid allegations holding true. Davis has always had huge power, I think its more of an adjustment on his part. Maybe he is taking to the Votto school of hitting somewhat. Take a strike early in the count because you probably couldn't hit it hard anyways. I watch almost as many O's games as Reds now, and to my eye, that appears to be the case.
    As another avid Orioles fan, I've heard this exact same thing (and I wish I had more desire to post on the board these days because I would have mentioned it sooner but that's a whole other subject for a whole other thread) and I totally agree with your friend about Chris. He's made adjustments this year and has always had a ton of power potential. It's great to see him put it all together this year and even if he falls off a bit in the second half of the season, he'll probably still look back on the year and have awesome stat lines.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

More obvious juicer than Chris Davis: Raul Ibanez.

I would put Molina on that list too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    As another avid Orioles fan, I've heard this exact same thing (and I wish I had more desire to post on the board these days because I would have mentioned it sooner but that's a whole other subject for a whole other thread) and I totally agree with your friend about Chris. He's made adjustments this year and has always had a ton of power potential. It's great to see him put it all together this year and even if he falls off a bit in the second half of the season, he'll probably still look back on the year and have awesome stat lines.
    If he hits a ball with 2 inches of the sweet spot of the bat, it can go out. His biceps are the size of 8 year old redwoods.

His season so far has been spectacular. He will probably regress some, but who cares! 37 HRs at the all-star break is tremendous. Also if I remember correctly he had something like 9 homeruns in the final 10 games of last year. Will be a fun chase. I hope he makes it to 74 (not going to happen) but 62 is possible.

If Davis hits 62 this year, who will baseball fans say is the homerun king? Davis 62 steroid free or Bonds/McGwire/Sosa?

Turn Off Ads?