Re: Chris Davis

2. Likes:

Big Klu (07-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Do we have Davis' ISO from the minors?
    His career minor league ISO was .279.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why don't we let the season play out before we start assuming Davis has a changed true talent level?
    Because if people don't complain now no one will care when they do it later

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why don't we let the season play out before we start assuming Davis has a changed true talent level?
    Why start doing that now? We could shut the site down until October however I thought it was Redszone tradition to fully assess player talent levels on much less than 95 games.

Or a buck 26 if you go back to last year, when it finally "clicked" for him.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why start doing that now? We could shut the site down until October however I thought it was Redszone tradition to fully assess player talent levels on much less than 95 games.
    I've always struggled with knowing the "proper" time to make a quality assessment with any insight. I feel like I am either judging a player too early or I am stating the obvious once a representative sample size is achieved. So, I usually don't say anything...(which, considering my foot-in-mouth capabilities, is probably a wise move.)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've always struggled with knowing the "proper" time to make a quality assessment with any insight. I feel like I am either judging a player too early or I am stating the obvious once a representative sample size is achieved. So, I usually don't say anything...(which, considering my foot-in-mouth capabilities, is probably a wise move.)
    I think the rule of thumb is however long it takes to "prove" your point.

Or a buck 26 if you go back to last year, when it finally "clicked" for him.
    Well, the stakes are a bit higher when you are searching for evidence of cheating, are they not?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well, the stakes are a bit higher when you are searching for evidence of cheating, are they not?
    Unless this becomes a keymastur situation where Chris Davis starts posting on here, we link his name to another message board, and we find out he's taking roids, no nothing on here is "high stakes."

It's a board of baseball discussion that is meaningless in the scheme of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-17-2013),Fil3232 (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Maybe he's a witch?
    He turned me into a newt!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think the rule of thumb is however long it takes to "prove" your point.
    Or until you say it enough that the other side walks away shaking their head at the consistent drone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Or until you say it enough that the other side walks away shaking their head at the consistent drone.
    Let's look at some of the other hot button, recent areas of discussion where many posters didn't require a full season of anything to have very strong opinions:

Uselessness of Ryan Ludwick
    Uselessness of Miguel Cairo
    Uselessness of Manny Parra
    Uselessness of Mike Leake
    Uselessness of Arthur Rhodes
    Terribleness of (fill in the blank) trade
    Horribleness of over/underuse of _____
    Sleepyness of Jocketty

There is lots of "drone" on this board, if that is what you call it. I'm not sure why this needs some sort of incubation time period prior to discussion when others topics, like the above, are fully baked after one month.

Let's look at some of the other hot button, recent areas of discussion where many posters didn't require a full season of anything to have very strong opinions:

Uselessness of Ryan Ludwick
    Uselessness of Miguel Cairo
    Uselessness of Manny Parra
    Uselessness of Mike Leake
    Uselessness of Arthur Rhodes
    Terribleness of (fill in the blank) trade
    Horribleness of over/underuse of _____
    Sleepyness of Jocketty

There is lots of "drone" on this board, if that is what you call it. I'm not sure why this needs some sort of incubation time period prior to discussion when others topics, like the above, are fully baked after one month.
    Oh I agree, the drone can kill any subject, suffocate it, make it boring and one sided.. IE Cardinals are evil and bad and the Reds are the bestest, cleanest team ever.

The truth is always dancing in the shadows, my take is some folks don't want to acknowledge that, mostly because human nature encumbers us with ego and the fear of of being incorrect.

I'll be the first to admit that I can drone with the best of them, but I also will admit I don't know everything and I find absolutes to be a fools path to traverse daily.

16. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-17-2013)

There is a difference between making claims about what someone does on a baseball field and speculating about what he might do off it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Unless this becomes a keymastur situation where Chris Davis starts posting on here, we link his name to another message board, and we find out he's taking roids, no nothing on here is "high stakes."

It's a board of baseball discussion that is meaningless in the scheme of life.
    What I mean is that the stakes are higher in the logical argument department. You need to have more evidence to prove someone is on PEDs than you do to say whether or not he hits with power some of the time.

There is a difference between making claims about what someone does on a baseball field and speculating about what he might do off it.
    Not sure why that matters, especially since that one thing off the field being discussed could directly relate to performance on the field. When the PED era was in full swing, many of these guys were very willing to invite the fans into their off the field training regimes.

Turn Off Ads?