Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    A background check for drug use and/or criminal behavior would probably be part of the standard procedure in that situation (I don't actually know this, but it makes sense that it would be). If concrete evidence turned up that a player had indeed used PEDs, then yes, I think it would affect my decision about whether or not to sign him. I would not, however, consider statistical analysis as sufficient for that purpose.
    If my butt was on the line I think I might dig a little deeper with a guy like Davis. Nothing personal at all against him, but I'd just be wanting to maximize my job security.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    RedEye,
    Let's say the Orioles call Walt tonight and propose to trade Davis for Leake and some prospects. Would Walt be within his bounds to then send out feelers to see if there is any connection to PEDs for Davis?
    Sure. I never said a GM couldn't use the resources he has to ensure potential assets. That's part of his job. What I don't think he should do is look at a few statistics and then conclude that the player is a user based on a few apparent trends he sees in the data.

Bear in mind, this is a completely different question than whether or not a player should be publicly scapegoated based on steroid gossip -- which is closer to what we're doing on this board, no matter how much folks say "RedsZone doesn't matter."

I think if the Orioles were willing to move Davis right now that would send off red flags in it's own right, no? I know this was a completely hypothetical situation, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sure. I never said a GM couldn't use the resources he has to ensure potential assets. That's part of his job. What I don't think he should do is look at a few statistics and then conclude that the player is a user based on a few apparent trends.
    Would you do more due diligence with Davis as opposed to Average Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Beat me to it, kal.
    It's a great question. If you can watch a guy like Davis and not think at all about the possibility of PEDs more power to you. But most people can't, and it's ok to talk about it. Heck, this thread has convinced me more that he is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would you do more due diligence with Davis as opposed to Average Joe?
    No idea. That's an impossible hypothetical. Depends on who "Average Joe" is, how much time I have, how much I'm giving up, what my team needs are, etc.

That said, I don't think there's inherently more reason to suspect Chris Davis than any other player. Lots of players use them mostly to recover from injuries rather than to accentuate their on-field performance in some way. If Hal Morris used steroids, anyone can, so I'd probably be inclined just to have a standard operating procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think if the Orioles were willing to move Davis right now that would send off red flags in it's own right, no? I know this was a completely hypothetical situation, but still.
    It would be curious, sure. Still, it would be possible that they'd just be doing the mother of all "sell high" trades.

Forget about feelers, what about just factoring it into your decision, how many years/dollars to give him, what kind of clauses to add to contracts, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Forget about feelers, what about just factoring it into your decision, how many years/dollars to give him, what kind of clauses to add to contracts, etc?
    Factoring what into your decision exactly? The fact that a player might have done PEDs at some point? That's sort of the case with all professional athletes, is it not? Short of some concrete evidence, I don't think a GM would have much to decide.

No idea. That's an impossible hypothetical. Depends on who "Average Joe" is, how much time I have, how much I'm giving up, what my team needs are, etc.

That said, I don't think there's inherently more reason to suspect Chris Davis than any other player. Lots of players use them mostly to recover from injuries rather than to accentuate their on-field performance in some way. If Hal Morris used steroids, anyone can, so I'd probably be inclined just to have a standard operating procedure.
    Chris Davis vs Shin Soo Choo. You would "investigate" both of them the same...given you have the time, team needs are the same, etc...?

You wouldn't make one extra phone call to a friend in the Orioles organization to try to be sure? Fair or not, he has already been mentioned with PEDs in several media articles. Many people fair or not, already suspect him.

I won't argue if you say yes. Just want to be clear on where you are.

When Neifi Perez (twice), Alex Sanchez and Ronny Paulino are known users and Andy Pettitte is an admitted one, I think it's pretty hard to have a measuring stick for who is and who isn't a user. As a GM, I probably wouldn't just trust my instincts or the eye test to know. I'd want something a little more than that.

Chris Davis vs Shin Soo Choo. You would "investigate" both of them the same...given you have the time, team needs are the same, etc...?

You wouldn't make one extra phone call to a friend in the Orioles organization to try to be sure? Fair or not, he has already been mentioned with PEDs in several media articles. Many people fair or not, already suspect him.

I won't argue if you say yes. Just want to be clear on where you are.
    I don't find Davis inherently more suspect than Choo, no.

In terms of the GM hypothetical... I find this very difficult to answer without knowing details. Who would the phone call go to? My guess is the guys who really know something in any organization about this stuff aren't going to be saying anything to potential trade partners.

When Neifi Perez (twice), Alex Sanchez and Ronny Paulino are known users and Andy Pettitte is an admitted one, I think it's pretty hard to have a measuring stick for who is and who isn't a user. As a GM, I probably wouldn't just trust my instincts or the eye test to know. I'd want something a little more than that.
    I take that as you would treat Chris Davis the same as any other player you were pursuing in terms of a significant contract, right?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It's a good point about what would you do if you were a GM.

Redeye, Doug, anyone else...

If you were a GM, and Davis was a free agent after this year and you were pursuing him or even had an agreed upon framework for a deal....

Would you put out any feelers, any investigation, anything at all through the back channels to see if your new employee was a risk for breaking the PED policy?

Bear in mind, if he were to get caught, the media would have a field day saying "How could you not have known".
    I think that they already have these in-house types of conversations. But there is a difference between having that conversation in your office and having that conversation in public. One is acceptable because it isn't getting beyond those walls. No one will actually know you had that conversation. Having it publicly is an entirely different animal.

As for the media..... no GM should care at all what they say about anything.

I take that as you would treat Chris Davis the same as any other player you were pursuing in terms of a significant contract, right?
    I would unless there was some concrete evidence of PED usage. Again, very difficult to know what GMs know and when they know it, so it's hard for me to respond.

Turn Off Ads?