Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 392

Thread: Chris Davis

  1. #91
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,814

    Re: Chris Davis

    1969 Reggie Jackson 37 Hr's prior to AS game, 1 HR every 8.75 ab's, second half of the season 1 HR every 28 ab's

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,814

    Re: Chris Davis

    1932 - Jimmy Foxx - 1st half 1 HR every 10 ab
    1938 - Hank Greenberg - 2nd half 1 HR every 8.3 ABs

  4. #93
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,082

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right. It's 81 games of a season. Many players have had a great 81 games of a season and a not so great other 81 games. Davis could end up with 40 HR's for all we know.
    Reggie Jackson 1969

  5. #94
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,082

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1969 Reggie Jackson 37 Hr's prior to AS game, 1 HR every 8.75 ab's, second half of the season 1 HR every 28 ab's
    You know I didn't copy you.....lol, but yet I did.

  6. #95
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,082

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    1. Davis is a public figure
    2. I haven't seen any malice in this thread
    3. I'd love to know what harm has been caused to him by anything posted here
    He's hurting all the way to the bank.

  7. Likes:

    coachpipe (07-15-2013)

  8. #96
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,814

    Re: Chris Davis

    Hack Wilson 2nd half of 1930 - 1 HR every 9.2 ab

  9. #97
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    You are wrong about this. RedsZone is a PUBLIC messaging board, and anyone can read what we post here. In fact, Google often indexes what we post. The same rules of libel and defamation apply here as in any other published medium.

    Take a look at this case from 7 years ago: Jury awards $11.3 million over defamatory internet posts.

    Now this is not to say that anything in this thread either is or isn't libelous or defamatory. However, I wanted to make clear that this is materially different than a bunch of people shooting the breeze at a party.
    Technically speaking, defamation doesn't matter where it occurs, whether at a party or on a message board. But in the very narrow sense, I agree that message boards are not immune. However, the standards for libel, especially with public figures, are extremely rigid.

    In order to be defamation of a public figure, "actual malice" in the form of "reckless disregard for the truth" must be shown.

    In fact, the courts have upheld that statements of opinion can never be libel, nor can rhetoric or hyperbole. Only statements that can be categorically proven false, and were known to be false when made, constitute libel. With non-public figures, the standard is one of "fault" but it still must generally be established that intent and knowledge are keys to proving defamation.

    For instance:

    "I think Bob cheated on his wife" is not nor will it ever be considered Libel (or Slander when spoken), at least with specific regard to public figures.

    But "Bob cheated on his wife with Deana" would be defamation if made knowing it is not true.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. Likes:

    coachpipe (07-15-2013)

  11. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,370

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Technically speaking, defamation doesn't matter where it occurs, whether at a party or on a message board. But in the very narrow sense, I agree that message boards are not immune. However, the standards for libel, especially with public figures, are extremely rigid.

    In order to be defamation of a public figure, "actual malice" in the form of "reckless disregard for the truth" must be shown.

    In fact, the courts have upheld that statements of opinion can never be libel, nor can rhetoric or hyperbole. Only statements that can be categorically proven false, and were known to be false when made, constitute libel. With non-public figures, the standard is one of "fault" but it still must generally be established that intent and knowledge are keys to proving defamation.

    For instance:

    "I think Bob cheated on his wife" is not nor will it ever be considered Libel (or Slander when spoken), at least with specific regard to public figures.

    But "Bob cheated on his wife with Deana" would be defamation if made knowing it is not true.
    Bingo.

  12. #99
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Hack Wilson 2nd half of 1930 - 1 HR every 9.2 ab
    What point is 1930 Hack supposed to be reinforcing?

  13. #100
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,814

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What point is 1930 Hack supposed to be reinforcing?
    The point that guys hit a lot of HR's in the game called baseball and that often this occurs in pockets of mega production that is not easily repeated because the game is not a cookie cutter experience where one size fits all.

  14. Likes:

    GullyFoyle (07-15-2013), RedEye (07-02-2013)

  15. #101
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,297

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The point that guys hit a lot of HR's in the game called baseball and that often this occurs in pockets of mega production that is not easily repeated because the game is not a cookie cutter experience where one size fits all.
    2 things with Hack of '30 though:

    1) he had a monster year and I was thinking that showing halves was following on another poster's comments that "many" guys have had one monster half before. Hack had 2 in 1930.

    2) you are probably better placed to describe, but weren't there various reasons why 1930 was such a huge offensive year across the board? Is it fair to compare an individual monster year in an overall monster year to an individual monster year in a dead ball-ish era? In the era of PEDs?

  16. Likes:

    remdog (07-14-2013)

  17. #102
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,068

    Re: Chris Davis

    Just because it isn't libel doesn't make it sound argument or worthy of a place like the ORG. If we were all drinking beer, I would probably still make the same arguments that we can do better than this.

    On second thought, maybe all you 'roid gossip lovers wouldn't want me with you at the bar anyway. I think maybe I am going to have to massively rethink my posting strategy given this potential for huge losses in beer consumption ... :-)
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  18. Likes:

    dougdirt (07-02-2013)

  19. #103
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,814

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    2 things with Hack of '30 though:

    1) he had a monster year and I was thinking that showing halves was following on another poster's comments that "many" guys have had one monster half before. Hack had 2 in 1930.

    2) you are probably better placed to describe, but weren't there various reasons why 1930 was such a huge offensive year across the board? Is it fair to compare an individual monster year in an overall monster year to an individual monster year in a dead ball-ish era? In the era of PEDs?
    #1 I was looking only for guys with less than 10 ab per HR, which didn't apply for the 1st half of his 1930 season

    #2 Heck yes the ball was juiced, it's been noted in many a book and the next year it changed, FWIW the ball in the past 20 years has also experienced some changes. Ball changes have often resulted in power increases in prior generations

    As for "fair" I find it laughable that folks can lob accusations without proof beyond an era and a ball over the fence and then accuse others of shenanigans

  20. Likes:

    RedEye (07-02-2013)

  21. #104
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Just because it isn't libel doesn't make it sound argument or worthy of a place like the ORG. If we were all drinking beer, I would probably still make the same arguments that we can do better than this.

    On second thought, maybe all you 'roid gossip lovers wouldn't want me with you at the bar anyway. I think maybe I am going to have to massively rethink my posting strategy given this potential for huge losses in potential beer consumption ... :-)
    If things were always treated as discussion-worthy only if they were provable, we'd not know most of what we know today. The earth would still be flat, for example.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  22. #105
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,068

    Re: Chris Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If things were always treated as discussion-worthy only if they were provable, we'd not know most of what we know today. The earth would still be flat, for example.
    Nice try, but I don't think attacking the integrity of individual ball players over PEDs stands to benefit humankind quite so much. Just a guess.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25