Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

Me thinks there is a difference between scientific inquiry and openly speculating without a compelling reason that a fella is a cheater and his numbers are illegitimate .
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Likes:

dougdirt (07-02-2013),Tom Servo (07-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Nice try, but I don't think attacking the integrity of individual ball players over PEDs stands to benefit humankind quite so much. Just a guess.
    Doesn't matter the realm. All discovery begins with questioning the status quo.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Me thinks there is a difference between scientific inquiry and openly speculating without a compelling reason that a fella is a cheater and his numbers are illegitimate .
    Outliers are often red flags. And legitimate ones, at that.

6. Likes:

The Operator (07-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Outliers are often red flags. And legitimate ones, at that.
    Outliers are the norm especially in smallish slices.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Outliers are the norm especially in smallish slices.
    30 HRs in a half is hardly a norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Doesn't matter the realm. All discovery begins with questioning the status quo.
    Please explain what new discoveries could be made by proving that Davis or Molina used PEDs.

Right. None.

Now, if you want to start a thread to discuss more generally the science of PEDs, be my guest. It is just the unfounded attacks on innocent ball players I have a problem with.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Nice try, but I don't think attacking the integrity of individual ball players over PEDs stands to benefit humankind quite so much. Just a guess.
    I don't know about mankind, but we have already been through a period when no one talked about players who might be using PED's, even when there were plenty of signs. I think we all know how that turned out. The only reason why we have the limited testing we have now in MLB is because fans refused to stand for it, and made a stink about it.

I would argue we have a duty to discuss when we think PED's might be used, in order to keep the pressure on MLB to continue with the testing, and hopefully improve on it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

oneupper (07-03-2013),remdog (07-14-2013)

Please explain what new discoveries could be made by proving that Davis or Molina used PEDs.

Right. None.

Now, if you want to start a thread to discuss more generally the science of PEDs, be my guest. It is just the unfounded attacks on innocent ball players I have a problem with.
    By the same token, we're not curing cancer here. We're not even putting people on trial. We're just having conversations. Folks shouldn't take that so seriously.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    By the same token, we're not curing cancer here. We're not even putting people on trial. We're just having conversations. Folks shouldn't take that so seriously.
    Hey man, you're the one who brought up the whole Galilean / Newtonian "new discoveries" line of inquiry.

All I'm trying to do is encourage people around here to not make simplistic arguments with no evidence that could be construed as personal attacks. Easier said than done, apparently.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-02-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would argue we have a duty to discuss when we think PED's might be used, in order to keep the pressure on MLB to continue with the testing, and hopefully improve on it.
    I think you are overestimating our ability to do so. No PED is ever going to be confirmed via the sort of statistical "intrigue" folks are engaged in here.

I agree that MLB and the players probably need to be held accountable. But this is definitely not the way to go about it.

A morbidly obese man can wear a thong on a crowded beach. No harm, no foul, I guess, but that doesn't mean he's showing good taste.

A morbidly obese man can wear a thong on a crowded beach. No harm, no foul, I guess, but that doesn't mean he's showing good taste.
    Whoa. I can't believe you went there. I'll never get that image out of my head now.

#32 for Davis tonight. His shortest of the year. 360 feet! Anyone happen to know who holds the record for the longest shortest HR in a season?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    #32 for Davis tonight. His shortest of the year. 360 feet! Anyone happen to know who holds the record for the longest shortest HR in a season?
    Got to be this whole team

1887 white stockings

Dimensions of first West Side Park
    Left Field - unknown
    Center Field - 560 ft
    Right Field - 216 ft (1 ft. over then-legal minimum)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Got to be this whole team

1887 white stockings

Dimensions of first West Side Park
    Left Field - unknown
    Center Field - 560 ft
    Right Field - 216 ft (1 ft. over then-legal minimum)
    I would advise against hitting the ball to CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

20. Likes:

The Operator (07-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?