Thread: Chris Davis

Re: Chris Davis

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Got to be this whole team

1887 white stockings

Dimensions of first West Side Park
    Left Field - unknown
    Center Field - 560 ft
    Right Field - 216 ft (1 ft. over then-legal minimum)
    That is insane! Did they just play the CF way in all the time?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Got to be this whole team

1887 white stockings

Dimensions of first West Side Park
    Left Field - unknown
    Center Field - 560 ft
    Right Field - 216 ft (1 ft. over then-legal minimum)
    Now those are some odd dimensions for a ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Now those are some odd dimensions for a ballpark.
    There were several old ballparks that were of similar dimensions. It really wasn't until the 60s that we started seeing curved outfield fences. Most were squared off in the early days.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There were several old ballparks that were of similar dimensions. It really wasn't until the 60s that we started seeing curved outfield fences. Most were squared off in the early days.
    Yeah, but only 216 for rightfield?

That's definitely a little extreme, but if memory serves me correctly, several of them were less than 300 down the line(s).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's definitely a little extreme, but if memory serves me correctly, several of them were less than 300 down the line(s).
    Yeah, they just weren't THAT extreme. I'd like to see what that park looked like myself.

Isn't that what Yankee Stadium was as well?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Isn't that what Yankee Stadium was as well?
    Yankee stadium wasn't like that but the Polo Grounds was similar. Just not as extreme.

1911-1922
    Left Field Line - 277 ft. (not posted)
    Center Field - 433 ft. (not posted)
    Right Field Line - 258 ft. (not posted)
    Last edited by redsfandan; 07-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Yankee stadium wasn't like that but the Polo Grounds was similar. Just not as extreme.

1911-1922
    Left Field Line - 277 ft. (not posted)
    Center Field - 433 ft. (not posted)
    Right Field Line - 258 ft. (not posted)
    I was actually thinking tongue in cheek more recent, I think it was advertised at 314 but no way it was that far.

Polo Grounds dimensions (1957):

LF: 280 ft.
    LC: 447 ft.
    CF: 480 ft.
    RC: 440 ft.
    RF: 258 ft.

Backstop: 74 ft. behind home plate
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

A great article about Chris Davis by Joe Pos:
    The At-Bat That Transformed Chris Davis

Last paragraph: "Our buddy Craig Calcaterra has spent much of Monday morning pointing out the skeptics who are taking to Twitter to scream “steroids” -- the sad but inevitable reaction to any sustained power run these days. It’s a rotten deal; Chris Davis has done absolutely nothing to draw such suspicion. Anyway, he seems to be handling it well. When someone on Twitter named @MichiganMagic1 asked him if he was on steroids, Davis replied succinctly. “No,” he wrote."
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Did anyone catch this article by Rick Reilly? Seems we've got our fingers on the pulse of current baseball writing here at RZ.

(Hint... nothing in here that we haven't already said better here. I hate Rick Reilly's writing most of the time, and this is no exception).

And yes, Davis has passed all three drug tests he's taken this season, he says. But Barry Bonds passed every test he ever took. So did Lance Armstrong. Tells me nothing.

That's not fair to Chris Davis -- who can prove a negative? -- but it's what baseball deserves. So many players cheated, so many trainers looked the other way, so many suits left holes in the testing process, that anybody who has an out-of-the-blue season makes us all go, "You figure it's the cream or the clear? The HGH or the Deca? In the butt or under the tongue?"

Davis can explain everything, of course. He says he went from Bernie Williams to Ted Williams because "I'm just making more consistent contact," he says. Also, he switched to a bigger bat. And he fixed a couple of holes in his swing.

But this is a guy who's spent most of his career bouncing from the bushes to the bigs. In fact, in four seasons of facing Triple-A pitching, he hit only 54 home runs. Now, in one major league season, he's on pace to hit 62? That must be some new bat.

"I know, I know," Davis shrugs. "I have to take the heat for other people's mistakes. I guess it's kind of a backhanded compliment. If people accuse me of steroids, I must be doing something right."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Did anyone catch this article by Rick Reilly? Seems we've got our fingers on the pulse of current baseball writing here at RZ.

(Hint... nothing in here that we haven't already said better here. I hate Rick Reilly's writing most of the time, and this is no exception).
    I love how he ignores how much power he hit for below AAA, because it kind of, you know, gets in the way of what he wanted to say.

Also, "only" 54 home runs in 867 Triple A at-bats for Davis is still pretty damn good, and that the bulk of those came in 2011, the last year he spent there before coming back to the majors and started launching them there.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 07-05-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yeah I admit I don't quite get the "only" 54 home runs comment either. Those 54 home runs gave him a 5.5 HR% among all plate appearances at AAA. Now granted, it's not the ridiculous 9.0% he has now, but it's still a pretty good feat. I suppose it's fair to question the jump from 5.5 to 9.0%, but I wouldn't chastise him for "only" hitting home runs in 5.5% of his AAA plate appearances.

Turn Off Ads?