Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Because recent underperformances shouldn't become the identity of the team- the players and their overall body of work should be. The season record tells us that the Reds are a very good team.

This is a reactionary article written in response to a couple of weeks of underperforming and finding ways to lose and is catered to ardent listeners of Lance McAllister's radio program who buy into the whole "no matter how good things are, they must be bad" mentality. It's a football mindset in a game that couldn't be further away from football.

And, to echo other posters in this thread, the last third of the article where Hal talks about his high school playing career is silly nonsense.
    A million thumbs up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    How is the article slop? Aside from showing his obvious fandom and the inane reference to his own playing days, I'm not sure how the points he raised are in dispute.
    Because it's a lazy article to write. You pick what is likely going to be the lowest point (or near it) of the season (and mind you, they're still one of the 4 best teams in the NL) while they're without Broxton and Marshall and have been largely without Cueto, Ludwick, and Hanigan (although one could argue if that's really a bad thing) all year, and somehow you conclude it's not a very good team?

If you or Hal want to be a master of panic and act like the Reds were playing over their heads in April and May and June was a better indicator of their talent level, go for it. You're wrong, but go for it.

They're battling injuries and they went out West and played some good teams and struggled. With all that being said, they're still 4.5 games up on a playoff spot. It's a loooong season. There will be more peaks and more valley's. It's like Plus Plus said, this isn't football. You'd swear it was the first season Reds fans have watched a baseball season before. There's absolutely no reason to panic.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

4. Likes:

Homer Bailey (07-01-2013)

Because recent underperformances shouldn't become the identity of the team- the players and their overall body of work should be. The season record tells us that the Reds are a very good team.

This is a reactionary article written in response to a couple of weeks of underperforming and finding ways to lose and is catered to ardent listeners of Lance McAllister's radio program who buy into the whole "no matter how good things are, they must be bad" mentality. It's a football mindset in a game that couldn't be further away from football.

And, to echo other posters in this thread, the last third of the article where Hal talks about his high school playing career is silly nonsense.
    The season so far tells me that the Reds might not be a "very good team." What the season so far tells me is that the Reds could very well be about the 12th best team in the game and have been remarkably consistent at beating teams 13-30 and losing to teams 1-11. And we haven't just been losing to teams 1-11, we lose and that outcome never really feels in doubt.

6. Likes:

malcontent (07-01-2013)

So you think it's a lie? I like Hal and I found the segue interesting. Some of you take these articles pretty seriously. It's just an article written by a frustrated Reds fan...sigh...like the rest of us aren't frustrated?

I have always enjoyed his articles whether I agreed with them or not.

Bum

8. Likes:

Brisco (07-01-2013),jimbo (07-01-2013),wlf WV (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    What the season so far tells me is that the Reds could very well be about the 12th best team in the game
    But they're not.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

marcshoe (07-01-2013)

The Marlins went 15-10 in June.

Marlins > Reds
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Cursh14 (07-02-2013),Tommyjohn25 (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    So you think it's a lie? I like Hal and I found the segue interesting. Some of you take these articles pretty seriously. It's just an article written by a frustrated Reds fan...sigh...like the rest of us aren't frustrated?

Bum
    The article comes across like "the Reds have had trouble in the last couple of weeks, and they probably won't make the playoffs because of that. Also, I played baseball in high school and I was really good and a guy who dominated me pitched in MLB."

It doesn't have to do with anything (the back-to-the-batter delivery thing is even a stretch...) and seems very self-serving.

And when you are in the baseball writers hall of fame you shouldn't be writing articles that get published where you come across like a frustrated fan. Those articles are found for free on the internet on Bleacher Report or blogs or facebook statuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Because it's a lazy article to write. You pick what is likely going to be the lowest point (or near it) of the season (and mind you, they're still one of the 4 best teams in the NL) while they're without Broxton and Marshall and have been largely without Cueto, Ludwick, and Hanigan (although one could argue if that's really a bad thing) all year, and somehow you conclude it's not a very good team?

I think we're talking semantics here in that I think the Reds are a good team, I just wouldn't use the word "very" alongside that....sort of like using a B to grade them instead of an A. And I've felt all along that the Ludwick injury was troubling and the most significant. The difference in the order with and without him is huge on a number of fronts.

If you or Hal want to be a master of panic and act like the Reds were playing over their heads in April and May and June was a better indicator of their talent level, go for it. You're wrong, but go for it.
    Perhaps you're being a tad overdramatic here with your conclusion? I simply asked a question and found some of his points to be valid. You and I don't interact enough, nor do I post enough on here at all, for you to to make that assessment. Anyone who does in fact know me knows i'm a subscriber to the idea that it's a long season with numerous ups and downs. I don't put a lot into an individual series, but I do know the Reds most current body of work in June hasn't been good. If you'd rather completely rely on the earlier part of the season then have at it.

They're battling injuries and they went out West and played some good teams and struggled. With all that being said, they're still 4.5 games up on a playoff spot. It's a loooong season. There will be more peaks and more valley's. It's like Plus Plus said, this isn't football. You'd swear it was the first season Reds fans have watched a baseball season before. There's absolutely no reason to panic.
    It's not my first season. Again, try not to prototype based on that which you don't know. The very rush to judgment that bothers you at times about RZ is precisely what you've done here.

We're still in good shape in the wild card hunt despite the injuries and poor overall June performance. And none of these guys on the DL have even been remotely ruled out for the stretch run and into the playoffs.

If we can just get into the playoffs and if we can get to that point relatively healthy, then I'm willing to roll the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    The season so far tells me that the Reds might not be a "very good team." What the season so far tells me is that the Reds could very well be about the 12th best team in the game and have been remarkably consistent at beating teams 13-30 and losing to teams 1-11. And we haven't just been losing to teams 1-11, we lose and that outcome never really feels in doubt.
    But what gets lost in the shuffle of microscopic analysis of how the team looks or is playing lately is the fact that going 6-4 across every 10 game stretch- which is playing .500 and having one game that could go either way fall in your team's favor- means that your team will probably have one of the best if not the best record in baseball.

Baseball is really, really hard. It's a game where the worse team wins often enough that small stretches don't give you any real information.

Quote Originally Posted by Satchel Paige
    "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The Marlins went 15-10 in June.

Marlins > Reds
    Since when do they award pennants for June?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Since when do they award pennants for June?
    I'm pretty sure that's his point.

Team will be great in the second half. Book it

I guess, in fairness, Hal was writing to his audience. If that is what his paper wants, its his reputation.

Personally, I'd rather not write than to write for that audience, or try to educate my audience so they are no longer that audience.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    Let me segue off of Hal's segue... because of Chance's "twist" in his delivery he was perhaps the worst fielding pitcher of his era because of how he ended up post throw. In short guys loved to bunt against him and IIRC Bill James ran some numbers and he gave up the most bunt hits of any pitcher during the 60's

Turn Off Ads?