Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

"Maybe The Reds just aren't that good" means, to me, just that. The team isn't as good as we had hoped. I think that is accurate. If the readers want to add hyperbole to the title and the content, that's on them.

He didn't say they were bad. He didn't say they were certain to miss the playoffs. The "magic" or the "breaks" are not falling the team's way, he writes. I also agree.
    Last year a few things went wrong (Madsen injury, Votto's injury) and they were overcome. A lot of things went right (key players got hot a good times, etc).
    This year the hops have tended to go the opponent's way a bit more and it's the errors and injuries happening at the wrong times, instead.

So cut him some slack, please. The team is not only losing, but playing poorly. He's concerned. I am too.
    Last edited by oneupper; 07-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Likes:

Always Red (07-01-2013),Brisco (07-01-2013),jimbo (07-01-2013),malcontent (07-01-2013),Old NDN (07-01-2013),wlf WV (07-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    So you think it's a lie? I like Hal and I found the segue interesting. Some of you take these articles pretty seriously. It's just an article written by a frustrated Reds fan...sigh...like the rest of us aren't frustrated?

I have always enjoyed his articles whether I agreed with them or not.

Bum
    He's not a fan. He's a profressional journalist. Articles like this are exactly why I hate when "journalists" have a rooting interest in the team. Instead of writing sensible articles you end up with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Hal is right, the Reds aren't that good..... right now. They aren't playing good baseball right now. They haven't had someone step up and get the big hit. It looks like they are playing listless baseball. During this past series it looked like the Rangers were running circles around the Reds.

The fact of the matter is just a handful of big hits over the past 7 games and the Reds could have had a winning road trip. They had a chance to take 2 out of 3 in both Arizona and Texas, but they didn't. They can't sustain that big inning and have a tendency to throw the ball around like a knothole baseball team. The Rangers scored 2 runs on a sacrifice bunt yesterday. If the offense is clicking they aren't worried about getting the runner at the plate and only one run scores. They are a team in a collective slump right now. Slump buster anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    "Maybe The Reds just aren't that good" means, to me, just that. The team isn't as good as we had hoped. I think that is accurate. If the readers want to add hyperbole to the title and the content, that's on them.
    The problem in the statement is the assumption that "we" think the way Hal does. If Hal expected this to be a 100 win team, that's on him. If he wants to take blame for his inflated expectations, then do it. If he wants to call out others for their unrealistic expectations, then do it. But the generic use of "we", as if all Reds fans think the same way (or the way Hal thinks), is lazy and self-serving.

And yes, many (most?) media members suffer from this, assuming their beliefs are representative of the fan base.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He's not a fan. He's a profressional journalist. Articles like this are exactly why I hate when "journalists" have a rooting interest in the team. Instead of writing sensible articles you end up with this.

[ petpeeve ] It's not an article. It's a blog. Actually, because he's old-school, it's like the columns he has written for years and years. At any rate, blogs and columns are supposed to be opinions of the writer, unlike articles. It's commentary. By definition, it's written to provoke the responses -- on both sides -- present in this thread. [ /petpeeve ]

8. Likes:

jimbo (07-01-2013)

He didn't say they were bad. He didn't say they were certain to miss the playoffs. The "magic" or the "breaks" are not falling the team's way, he writes. I also agree.
    Last year a few things went wrong (Madsen injury, Votto's injury) and they were overcome. A lot of things went right (key players got hot a good times, etc).
    This year the hops have tended to go the opponent's way a bit more and it's the errors and injuries happening at the wrong times, instead.

So cut him some slack, please. The team is not only losing, but playing poorly. He's concerned. I am too.
    It's the timing. "We stink" rings hollow when writing about a slumping team. While they may "stink" currently doesn't mean you start making conclusions about the team's likely outcome when the season's over.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The problem in the statement is the assumption that "we" think the way Hal does. If Hal expected this to be a 100 win team, that's on him. If he wants to take blame for his inflated expectations, then do it. If he wants to call out others for their unrealistic expectations, then do it. But the generic use of "we", as if all Reds fans think the same way (or the way Hal thinks), is lazy and self-serving.

And yes, many (most?) media members suffer from this, assuming their beliefs are representative of the fan base.
    I think they arrogantly believe we should agree with them.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Everyone knows Hal is a hardcore Tampa Bay Rays fan.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd add one thing in Hal's defense: He titled his blog entry:

"MAYBE the Reds just aren't that good."

That's not how it reads in this thread, it reads:

Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

There's a world of difference there, to me.

Every time D. Robinson steps up to the plate I think to myself, "maybe the Reds aren't that good, if this is all they have for LF."

Though, by the end of the article, I was wondering if Dean Chance were available, he's probably still got enough to do a 6th or 7th inning every now and again.
    Last edited by Always Red; 07-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    sorry we're boring

Terrible, reactionary piece of journalism that quickly veers off a point that he doesn't feel like arguing for (and offers no counter-point against) in the first place. Typical old-man Reds-fan grumbling, I wonder if Marty ghost-wrote the first half.

I especially love the dig at Ludwick, as if his fateful head-first slide is the sole reason this (4th best team in NL) is doomed.

I agree, the Reds are not good. NO LF, SS, 3B and C. We have 4 productive players on offense and 2 of them are struggling. This team is fading and the injuries will end our season. Its painful to watch them hack away at the plate, no patience and no pitch recognition, no small ball, no team speed.
    Our bench is putrid and pathetic, no threat at all. Hannahan, Izturis, Partch and Ondrusek shouldn't be a contender

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'd add one thing in Hal's defense: He titled his blog entry:

"MAYBE the Reds just aren't that good."

That's not how it reads in this thread, it reads:

Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

There's a world of difference there, to me.

Every time D. Robinson steps up to the plate I think to myself, "maybe the Reds aren't that good, if this is all they have for LF."

Though, by the end of the article, I was wondering if Dean Chance were available, he's probably still got enough to do a 6th or 7th inning every now and again.
    Did you think this during any of Miguel Cairo or Wilson Valdez's 344 ABs last season?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

joshua (07-01-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Did you think this during any of Miguel Cairo or Wilson Valdez's 344 ABs last season?
    probably, and I also might consider it from time to time when I watch Jack Hannahan at the plate. Hannahan actually looks like he should be a good hitter, to my eyes. But he's not, is he? You're right the bench is weak and has been.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It's the timing. "We stink" rings hollow when writing about a slumping team. While they may "stink" currently doesn't mean you start making conclusions about the team's likely outcome when the season's over.
    Agreed. I guess there's a fine line between concern and jumping ship. I don't think anyone's advocating the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    probably, and I also might consider it from time to time when I watch Jack Hannahan at the plate. Hannahan actually looks like he should be a good hitter, to my eyes. But he's not, is he? You're right the bench is weak and has been.
    I would much rather have Rolen than Hannahan, especially as a part time player.

Turn Off Ads?