Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Terrible, reactionary piece of journalism that quickly veers off a point that he doesn't feel like arguing for (and offers no counter-point against) in the first place. Typical old-man Reds-fan grumbling, I wonder if Marty ghost-wrote the first half.

I especially love the dig at Ludwick, as if his fateful head-first slide is the sole reason this (4th best team in NL) is doomed.
    I wanna know why Pete was allowed to slide into third and everyone else in the history of the game has to go in standing up?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Typical old-man Reds-fan grumbling, I wonder if Marty ghost-wrote the first half.
    Never been a big fan of Marty, and I never liked Hal McCoy's columns...but I'm afraid that you don't fully appreciate the contributions that grumpy old men make to the discussion.

Last edited by malcontent; 07-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

4. Likes:

Always Red (07-01-2013),Mitri (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Team will be great in the second half. Book it
    You better hope so, you have 15.5 games to make up on your pre-season prediction.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Never been a big fan of Marty, and I almost invariably hated Hal McCoy's columns...but I'm afraid that you don't appreciate the contributions that grumpy old men make to the discussion.

And with your handle, sir malcontent, it's only a matter of time before you join us in the league of grumpy old men.
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

malcontent (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wanna know why Pete was allowed to slide into third and everyone else in the history of the game has to go in standing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    So you think it's a lie?

Bum
    Where the heck was that implied?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

i love the reds but maybe hal is right for once.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Right now they aren't playing that well. Does that mean they are going to play like this for the rest of the season?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Right now they aren't playing that well. Does that mean they are going to play like this for the rest of the season?
    unless changes are made, i would say yes. the manager isn't putting this team in a position to succeed. hitting choo second vs LH pitchers doesn't help votto. i don'tlike cozart batting second but against LH pitchers it would be a better option.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    unless changes are made, i would say yes. the manager isn't putting this team in a position to succeed. hitting choo second vs LH pitchers doesn't help votto. i don'tlike cozart batting second but against LH pitchers it would be a better option.
    OMG! The sky is falling!
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-02-2013)

I hope Hal's wrong about the 1st part of the article,but I don't think he lied about any of it.Contrary to our arrogance,we are not the typical Reds fans,Hal is speaking to the general public,not Redszone.

From the reaction of many ,they would almost condone euthanasia.I thoroughly enjoyed the last part of the article.The human side of anything,be it characters on any stage(sports,novels,movies,etc) are what matters. Thanks Hal for giving us these memories.
    May the Lord bless

I think people are confused as to the work McCoy is doing here....it's a blog post. It's his opinion, his thoughts in type.

McCoy is a journalist, but this isn't a journalistic piece. This isn't supposed to be unquestioned fact. It's his opinion.

Clearly the Reds are struggling mightily right now...and he points that out, which is what he's paid to do.

Smixsell: "Hal McCoy just isn't that good"

"So Fla Red"

Hal and Marty are treasures, but amazing that after decades covering and broadcaasting they can't seem to grasp the concept of a 162-game marathon and ebbs and flows.

That being said, the boys pretty much stunk on ice on the eight game roadtrip with some ugly, uncompetitive baseball in four of the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Where the heck was that implied?
    Where did I ask you that question?

Turn Off Ads?