Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wanna know why Pete was allowed to slide into third and everyone else in the history of the game has to go in standing up?
    I imagine it is a comment in frustration with Ludwick's injury and the fact that Pete Rose rarely was injured. In general, getting thrown out at 3rd is really bad unless it is a force play. He may also be saying, if you are going to try for 3rd you better be sure (which means you probably wouldn't need to slide).

Bum

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Hal and Marty are treasures, but amazing that after decades covering and broadcaasting they can't seem to grasp the concept of a 162-game marathon and ebbs and flows.

That being said, the boys pretty much stunk on ice on the eight game roadtrip with some ugly, uncompetitive baseball in four of the losses.
    You say that as if it is abnormal and unexpected for a contending team despite considering Hal and Marty dolts for expressing those thoughts. That is a theme echoed throughout the recent panic stricken comments and threads I have seen recently here on RZ. This type of stretch is normal and expected for any team, even playoff and WS contenders. Just as there are stretches where really bad teams are playing well (exhibit 1-Marlins).
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I imagine it is a comment in frustration with Ludwick's injury and the fact that Pete Rose rarely was injured. In general, getting thrown out at 3rd is really bad unless it is a force play. He may also be saying, if you are going to try for 3rd you better be sure (which means you probably wouldn't need to slide).

Bum
    I guess you didn't see what I did there. Hal didn't do a very good job at self-editing on his blog post and left it as "slide" and omitted "head first," so I added a little sarcasm to it. Explaining it takes out all the fun.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    It was tongue-in-cheek comment because both Ludwick this season and Votto last season were lost for many, many games because they injured themselves sliding into third base. Is RZ really incapable of detecting humor (or intended humor)?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It was tongue-in-cheek comment because both Ludwick this season and Votto last season were lost for many, many games because they injured themselves sliding into third base. Is RZ really incapable of detecting humor (or intended humor)?
    Whew...thanks...I mean,wow...right past me...always awesome with the slam the entire board zinger at the end too...well done!

Humor is sometimes used to release one's frustration...can't norm charlton fan's even make that type of correlation???

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess you didn't see what I did there. Hal didn't do a very good job at self-editing on his blog post and left it as "slide" and omitted "head first," so I added a little sarcasm to it. Explaining it takes out all the fun.
    I saw what you wrote...as to the cleverness...lot of posters puffing up to show their superiority these days...at least we as fans aren't frustrated...

Despite this stretch, the Reds are still in great shape for the wild card. However, winning the division may be a much tougher feat.

Like many others, I thought the mid-column detour was strange. It's clear he didn't have his word count to fill the column inches, so just started reminiscing.

On the other hand, The Beatles' "A Day In the Life" did the same thing (Lennon admitted they mashed together a half-song he had, with a half-song from Paul), and it turned out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Humor stings in the eye of the bee holder.

Confuscious
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?