Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I wanna know why Pete was allowed to slide into third and everyone else in the history of the game has to go in standing up?
    I imagine it is a comment in frustration with Ludwick's injury and the fact that Pete Rose rarely was injured. In general, getting thrown out at 3rd is really bad unless it is a force play. He may also be saying, if you are going to try for 3rd you better be sure (which means you probably wouldn't need to slide).

    Bum

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,661

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Hal and Marty are treasures, but amazing that after decades covering and broadcaasting they can't seem to grasp the concept of a 162-game marathon and ebbs and flows.

    That being said, the boys pretty much stunk on ice on the eight game roadtrip with some ugly, uncompetitive baseball in four of the losses.
    You say that as if it is abnormal and unexpected for a contending team despite considering Hal and Marty dolts for expressing those thoughts. That is a theme echoed throughout the recent panic stricken comments and threads I have seen recently here on RZ. This type of stretch is normal and expected for any team, even playoff and WS contenders. Just as there are stretches where really bad teams are playing well (exhibit 1-Marlins).
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  4. #63
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,661

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I imagine it is a comment in frustration with Ludwick's injury and the fact that Pete Rose rarely was injured. In general, getting thrown out at 3rd is really bad unless it is a force play. He may also be saying, if you are going to try for 3rd you better be sure (which means you probably wouldn't need to slide).

    Bum
    I guess you didn't see what I did there. Hal didn't do a very good job at self-editing on his blog post and left it as "slide" and omitted "head first," so I added a little sarcasm to it. Explaining it takes out all the fun.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  5. #64
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I imagine it is a comment in frustration with Ludwick's injury and the fact that Pete Rose rarely was injured. In general, getting thrown out at 3rd is really bad unless it is a force play. He may also be saying, if you are going to try for 3rd you better be sure (which means you probably wouldn't need to slide).

    Bum
    It was tongue-in-cheek comment because both Ludwick this season and Votto last season were lost for many, many games because they injured themselves sliding into third base. Is RZ really incapable of detecting humor (or intended humor)?

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It was tongue-in-cheek comment because both Ludwick this season and Votto last season were lost for many, many games because they injured themselves sliding into third base. Is RZ really incapable of detecting humor (or intended humor)?
    Whew...thanks...I mean,wow...right past me...always awesome with the slam the entire board zinger at the end too...well done!

    Humor is sometimes used to release one's frustration...can't norm charlton fan's even make that type of correlation???

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess you didn't see what I did there. Hal didn't do a very good job at self-editing on his blog post and left it as "slide" and omitted "head first," so I added a little sarcasm to it. Explaining it takes out all the fun.
    I saw what you wrote...as to the cleverness...lot of posters puffing up to show their superiority these days...at least we as fans aren't frustrated...

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Despite this stretch, the Reds are still in great shape for the wild card. However, winning the division may be a much tougher feat.

  9. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    679

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Like many others, I thought the mid-column detour was strange. It's clear he didn't have his word count to fill the column inches, so just started reminiscing.

    On the other hand, The Beatles' "A Day In the Life" did the same thing (Lennon admitted they mashed together a half-song he had, with a half-song from Paul), and it turned out pretty well.

  10. #69
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,661

    Re: Hal McCoy: "The Reds just aren't that good"

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It was tongue-in-cheek comment because both Ludwick this season and Votto last season were lost for many, many games because they injured themselves sliding into third base. Is RZ really incapable of detecting humor (or intended humor)?
    Humor stings in the eye of the bee holder.

    Confuscious
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25