Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 197

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

  1. #16
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,494

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Ok, the logic of getting a base hit or hitting a home run trumping a sac fly is obvious. Of course that's assuming he sees a ball he can drive first.

    But, if it's my teammate, he better expand his zone his zone a little bit and swing at something he can lift deep enough to score the run if given the chance.
    Players don't go up to bat with the intention of getting out, with very few exceptions. Thats the point being made.

    Sure, as stated earlier, a sacrifice is a better outcome than a strikeout or popout or something. But going up to bat with the midset of "better make an out!" is not a healthy or common one.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Batters don't try to lift fly balls into the OF. It's extremely hard to hit a moving ball at its size and velocity with a round bat intentionally into the air at least 300 feet. Some guys naturally have that swing. Others just try to use the middle of the field which is usually the best approach (IF'ers are back in the middle, pitcher is worst fielder, etc)
    Many, many do. BP talked about doing just this very thing a couple of weeks ago. I've got no problem with ground ball up the middle to score a run either. Whatever you gotta do to get the run in. That's all I ask. Check your ego and don't be selfish.



    Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    The sac fly is mostly an accident. I'd say that is the biggest factor. Also, why is GO 6-3, RBI not a Sac Groundout? Use the middle of the field with IF back, and it's sort of the same thing, no?
    As I said above, I don't think sac flies are as accidental as you're saying in. Player look to lift the ball if given the chance. Maybe a 6-3 groundout to score a run should be a sac. I don't care. Just score when you get the chance. The days of "pitching, a little defense, and the 3 run homer" are a lot fewer and far between than they once were.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 07-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  4. Likes:

    icehole3 (07-01-2013)

  5. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Players don't go up to bat with the intention of getting out, with very few exceptions. Thats the point being made.

    Sure, as stated earlier, a sacrifice is a better outcome than a strikeout or popout or something. But going up to bat with the midset of "better make an out!" is not a healthy or common one.
    It's not a "better make an out" mindset. It's a "better score the run while we can" mindset.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  6. Likes:

    icehole3 (07-01-2013), joshua (07-02-2013), Norm Chortleton (07-01-2013)

  7. #19
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    in a perfect world a guy would get a hit with a man on third and "keep the line moving" but as often as I've seen men left on 3rd with less than two outs I'll trade an out for a run...unless of course i'm down a bunch late

    as for these guys intentionally lifting balls into the outfield or grounding out the other way to move a runner along of course it's not easy but it's part of almost every batting practice...except for the middle of the order guys in a lot of cases

  8. Likes:

    joshua (07-02-2013), TSJ55 (07-01-2013)

  9. #20
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,938

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Marty loves to complain when batters strike out too.
    He has to point out how many K's certain batters in the lineup have (several times per game). If that player is in the top 10 in the league of strikeouts, Marty is pleased the "stats" support his argument that the player stinks..

    I finally broke down and got cable to be free of Marty (who used to be my only way of following the Reds , other than the game thread). Wish I had done it years earlier. Chris Welsh (and whoever he gets paired with) is so much better.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  10. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (07-01-2013), dfs (07-01-2013)

  11. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,158

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    How can anything or anyone top Adam Dunn?!!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  12. #22
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post

    But, if it's my teammate, he better expand his zone his zone a little bit and swing at something he can lift deep enough to score the run if given the chance.
    This idea of expanding the strike zone is crazy talk. It is basically intentionally being worse than you are.

    Here is an example of someone who "expands their strike zone" - Todd Frazier

    He's the best.

    I also think comparing Votto to Miguel Cabrera is ridiculous.

    Miguel Cabrera is one of the best hitters ever because he is a freak of nature.

    Joey Votto is one of the best hitters of his generation because of his intellectual approach to hitting and because he refuses to do what you and Marty want him to do, which is "expand the strike zone."

  13. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (07-01-2013), joshua (07-02-2013)

  14. #23
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Marty loves to complain when batters strike out too.
    He has to point out how many K's certain batters in the lineup have (several times per game). If that player is in the top 10 in the league of strikeouts, Marty is pleased the "stats" support his argument that the player stinks..

    I finally broke down and got cable to be free of Marty (who used to be my only way of following the Reds , other than the game thread). Wish I had done it years earlier. Chris Welsh (and whoever he gets paired with) is so much better.
    Sack of wet cats' opinion >Marty's opinion >Thom's opinion

    JUST CALL THE GAME!!!!!!! I don't care about your opinion, because you are wrong!
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  15. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (07-01-2013), dfs (07-01-2013), Nasty_Boy (07-01-2013), REDREAD (07-02-2013)

  16. #24
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,429

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Sack of wet cats' opinion >Marty's opinion >Thom's opinion

    JUST CALL THE GAME!!!!!!! I don't care about your opinion, because you are wrong!
    Can you hear their dinner conversation on a certain Thursday afternoon in November?

    Thom - This turkey is AMAZING, I'm telling ya, it's UNBELIEVABLE, really something boy...

    Marty - You can say that again Thom, it's a real masterful bird, but I have to say it's not what I expected since the bird I ate in the day was a purer than the birds we are seeing in the stores these days.

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (07-01-2013), Blimpie (07-03-2013), Chip R (07-01-2013), Cursh14 (07-02-2013), George Anderson (07-01-2013), gilpdawg (07-01-2013), Larkin Fan (07-02-2013), LoganBuck (07-01-2013), Nasty_Boy (07-01-2013), Tom Servo (07-01-2013), TRF (07-02-2013)

  18. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This idea of expanding the strike zone is crazy talk. It is basically intentionally being worse than you are.

    Here is an example of someone who "expands their strike zone" - Todd Frazier

    He's the best.

    I also think comparing Votto to Miguel Cabrera is ridiculous.

    Miguel Cabrera is one of the best hitters ever because he is a freak of nature.

    Joey Votto is one of the best hitters of his generation because of his intellectual approach to hitting and because he refuses to do what you and Marty want him to do, which is "expand the strike zone."
    Looking for a ball up in the zone that you normally let go with nobody on is a bit different than Todd swinging wildly at anything thrown in his general direction regardless of the situation.

    I agree with the Miggy/Joey comparison, or lack thereof. Can't be done. Having said that, I think Joey could swing a little more often too, but it's just not his way. No big deal there as BP has been doing what he needs to do. Which includes attempting to hit a sac fly when the opportunity presents itself.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  19. Likes:

    joshua (07-02-2013)

  20. #26
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Looking for a ball up in the zone that you normally let go with nobody on is a bit different than Todd swinging wildly at anything thrown in his general direction regardless of the situation.

    I agree with the Miggy/Joey comparison, or lack thereof. Can't be done. Having said that, I think Joey could swing a little more often too, but it's just not his way. No big deal there as BP has been doing what he needs to do. Which includes attempting to hit a sac fly when the opportunity presents itself.
    If joey swung at more balls he would not be as good as he is.

  21. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,143

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If joey swung at more balls he would not be as good as he is.
    This may be true, but I am not sure the OP was suggesting he swing at more balls, but simply swing at more pitches. Joey Votto takes good strikes at times, particularly early in the count.

  22. Likes:

    TSJ55 (07-01-2013)

  23. #28
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can you hear their dinner conversation on a certain Thursday afternoon in November?

    Thom - This turkey is AMAZING dad, I'm telling ya dad, it's UNBELIEVABLE dad, really something dad...

    .
    Fixed it for ya.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  24. Likes:

    westofyou (07-01-2013)

  25. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If joey swung at more balls he would not be as good as he is.
    As Doug pointed out, I wouldn't want JV swinging just to swing more often. I'd still want him to swing at pitches he can barrel up. He's a good enough hitter to be a little less selective.

    I'm not getting on JV here. Just picking nits b/c it came up. His part in the offense is not a problem in the least.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

    All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

  26. #30
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Marty loves to complain when batters strike out too.
    He has to point out how many K's certain batters in the lineup have (several times per game). If that player is in the top 10 in the league of strikeouts, Marty is pleased the "stats" support his argument that the player stinks..

    I finally broke down and got cable to be free of Marty (who used to be my only way of following the Reds , other than the game thread). Wish I had done it years earlier. Chris Welsh (and whoever he gets paired with) is so much better.
    Don't forget every time a player strikes out 4 times, Marty awards him the "golden sombrero".

    I got to hear Welsh doing play-by-play on the radio for the first time ever and was amazed at how good he actually is. He needs some polish, but overall it was an enjoyable listen. Of course I'd heard him on TV but it isn't the same because he's doing color with Thom handling PBP.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

    Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

  27. Likes:

    REDREAD (07-02-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25