Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't have to fill up the truck though, right?
    Well, duh.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I love Marty. I grew up with Marty. He thinks he is bigger than the Reds and most things going. Marty forms prejudices against some players that are never broken: Bruce, Dunn, Homer to name a few. Marty is an old miser that is fun to laugh at after all these years. He's harmless. He's our old miser. The only guy I would take over him would be Vin Scully. I'm glad our old grump has some personality.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

4. Likes:

goreds2 (07-05-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I love Marty. I grew up with Marty. He thinks he is bigger than the Reds and most things going. Marty forms prejudices against some players that are never broken: Bruce, Dunn, Homer to name a few. Marty is an old miser that is fun to laugh at after all these years. He's harmless. He's our old miser. The only guy I would take over him would be Vin Scully. I'm glad our old grump has some personality.
    I don't think he is harmless. To a lot of fans out there, he is the expert they look to in order to tell them how the game should be played. They look to him to tell them who is or isn't good. With how he talks about some players, he isn't harmless to the product that is the Reds. When the voice of the Reds spews things out of disgust of a player it is harmful to your product.

6. Likes:

forfreelin04 (07-05-2013),Nasty_Boy (07-05-2013),nmculbreth (07-05-2013),RadfordVA (07-05-2013)

Indeed, he's far from harmless. And that anyone views him as "bigger than the Reds", that's a real problem. And emblematic of Marty not doing his job correctly for far too long.

Sounds like you all don't know what GREATNESS is? Marty is the best reds announcer that's EVER done the reds.I grew up listening to Marty and I never missed a game b/c of my love for the reds and marty.I want a guy that will tell it like it is and not sugar coat it when the team is out 10 games.I want a guy that will not make excuses when a player cannot knock in a run from 3rd with no outs or a player that can't bunt the ball to get the guy over in scoring position.Marty is one of a kind and he is the BEST that I have ever listened to.If you all want a guy that says nothing but nice things about his team then PLEASE change and become a Pirates fan b/c Bob Walk is the announcer you are looking for.He is your guy!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

9. Likes:

bucksfan2 (07-05-2013),goreds2 (07-05-2013),jimbo (07-05-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    I'm sick of the "tell it like it is" meme. He doesn't tell it like it is. He's misinformed quite often. He tells it like he thinks it is. Is the whole "doesn't get paid to walk" thing "telling it like it is?" Of course not. Joey Votto is paid to play baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and hopefully help them win games. It doesn't matter how he contributes, just that he does. And he does. It's not debatable.

I don't want my announcer telling me anything besides what's happening in the game. I'll form any other opinions on my own. Tell me the score, who's up, how many outs there are, and what the count is..... and then shut the heck up.

If all you know about baseball you learned from Marty Brennaman, I'd suggest you open your mind and seek out other mentors. Maybe you'd learn something.

That being said, no one is better than Marty, except Vin Scully and Jon Miller. Difference is, those guys don't cram their agenda based rhetoric down their listener's throats. No one calls a walk off win like Marty. I still get goosebumps when he says "This one belongs to the Reds." I have a shirt with that phrase on it. I hope he gets a piece of that action. That said, he and Thom have both made me listen/watch the other team's feed, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. That's just bad business. They need to tone it down. Do your job. Call the game. That's it. That's all I need from you.

11. Likes:

Always Red (07-05-2013),forfreelin04 (07-05-2013),joshua (07-05-2013),LoganBuck (07-05-2013),nmculbreth (07-05-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-05-2013),powersackers (07-05-2013),RadfordVA (07-05-2013),Raisor (07-05-2013),Revering4Blue (07-07-2013),RFS62 (07-06-2013),Tom Servo (07-05-2013),westofyou (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Seriously, dude?

IIRC, Marty dropped an S-bomb during his hair cut interview last year on Reds Live.
    Yep, I heard Marty curse on WLW a few times during the radio boardcast.. He yelled the word and someone else's micrphone picked it up.
    Now in all fairness, I don't think Marty made a big deal over Homer's curse word, but the other media types that are making a big stink over Homer's cursing never mentioned Marty doing it..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Sounds like you all don't know what GREATNESS is? Marty is the best reds announcer that's EVER done the reds.
    Marty used to be the best. Around the time that Joe left, he's seriously gone downhill.

Marty is the former all star pitcher who is now 45, with a 7.00 ERA who still is in the game based on his name.. Kind of like when Jerry Reuss came over to the Reds when his career was over.. Or how Steve Charlton bounced around for a couple of years as a journeyman when he was done..

Marty gets away with a lot of stuff that no other announcer would get away with. He knows this, and abuses his position.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Sounds like you all don't know what GREATNESS is? Marty is the best reds announcer that's EVER done the reds.I grew up listening to Marty and I never missed a game b/c of my love for the reds and marty.I want a guy that will tell it like it is and not sugar coat it when the team is out 10 games.I want a guy that will not make excuses when a player cannot knock in a run from 3rd with no outs or a player that can't bunt the ball to get the guy over in scoring position.Marty is one of a kind and he is the BEST that I have ever listened to.If you all want a guy that says nothing but nice things about his team then PLEASE change and become a Pirates fan b/c Bob Walk is the announcer you are looking for.He is your guy!!!!
    Waite Hoyt probably could eat Marty's lunch from what I have heard from folks who GREW UP With Waite

One mans experience with something colors that mans experience not everyone's

15. Likes:

RFS62 (07-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'm sick of the "tell it like it is" meme. He doesn't tell it like it is. He's misinformed quite often. He tells it like he thinks it is. Is the whole "doesn't get paid to walk" thing "telling it like it is?" Of course not. Joey Votto is paid to play baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and hopefully help them win games. It doesn't matter how he contributes, just that he does. And he does. It's not debatable.

I don't want my announcer telling me anything besides what's happening in the game. I'll form any other opinions on my own. Tell me the score, who's up, how many outs there are, and what the count is..... and then shut the heck up.

If all you know about baseball you learned from Marty Brennaman, I'd suggest you open your mind and seek out other mentors. Maybe you'd learn something.

That being said, no one is better than Marty, except Vin Scully and Jon Miller. Difference is, those guys don't cram their agenda based rhetoric down their listener's throats. No one calls a walk off win like Marty. I still get goosebumps when he says "This one belongs to the Reds." I have a shirt with that phrase on it. I hope he gets a piece of that action. That said, he and Thom have both made me listen/watch the other team's feed, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. That's just bad business. They need to tone it down. Do your job. Call the game. That's it. That's all I need from you.
    I guess I don't mind when a sense of frustration comes from Marty. I don't mind when Marty brings up the inability to do the little things in certain situation. For example when the Reds had 1st and 3rd with no outs and Votto, Phillips, and Bruce coming up, any Reds fan would be frustrated when the Giants struck out those three in a row. I don't want Marty saying "By golly they tried their best." I think the perfect thing to do is comment on a missed opportunity to potentially blow the game open.

He can get a little snippy from time to time that gets old, but I tend to think that he still calls a great game. Go back and listen to the last inning of the Homer Bailey and tell me if that isn't one of the best. Especially considering the disdain that both people have for each other.

17. Likes:

Always Red (07-05-2013),jimbo (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Waite Hoyt probably could eat Marty's lunch from what I have heard from folks who GREW UP With Waite

People think Joe is a HOF broadcaster. When I listened to Joe towards the end of his career he was anything but that.

19. Likes:

George Anderson (07-05-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Letters to the Editor
    Sure do miss Waite Hoyt calling the game
    05/23/13 at 4:53pm by Letters Editor

I couldn’t agree more with Clarence Everson when he states that Waite Hoyt was the best radio/TV announcer the Reds have ever had.

In spite of so-called “Dead air” time, Waite never bored us with unnecessary small talk or pontification about this or that player. Too often Marty Brennaman will have to interrupt his conversation to say,”There’s ball two.”

Waite was on every pitch.

Thom Brenneman and Chris Welsh are worse with their constant talk, as Thom pontificates about this or that.

Waite Hoyt was the greatest and I sure do miss him.

Lee Jewell, Delhi Township
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/letters/...ling-the-game/

My dad and both grandfathers held Waite Hoyt in great reverence.

That's not to say that Marty's not great, because he is and was recognized as such by winning the Frick Award.

Banana phone? Ask Marty? Nah, during rain delays, Hoyt would regale the listeners with his personal stories about the Yankees back in the 20's and 30's. Marty could do that for us, tell stories from the BRM days- I for one, would love to hear that. But he doesn't do it for some reason.
    sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    People think Joe is a HOF broadcaster. When I listened to Joe towards the end of his career he was anything but that.
    Back in the analog days while trying to dial in WLW, I could always tell when I had found the station and Joe was taking his turn at PBP, because all I could hear was crowd murmuring and cup popping in the background.
    sorry we're boring

22. Likes:

919191 (07-06-2013),cumberlandreds (07-05-2013),George Anderson (07-05-2013),Hypnotoad (07-05-2013),Roy Tucker (07-05-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I guess I don't mind when a sense of frustration comes from Marty. I don't mind when Marty brings up the inability to do the little things in certain situation. For example when the Reds had 1st and 3rd with no outs and Votto, Phillips, and Bruce coming up, any Reds fan would be frustrated when the Giants struck out those three in a row. I don't want Marty saying "By golly they tried their best." I think the perfect thing to do is comment on a missed opportunity to potentially blow the game open.

He can get a little snippy from time to time that gets old, but I tend to think that he still calls a great game. Go back and listen to the last inning of the Homer Bailey and tell me if that isn't one of the best. Especially considering the disdain that both people have for each other.
    When Marty is doing his job, he is great.
    When Marty is throwing a tantrum, he is the worst.

You don't have to say "by golly they tried their best". You can say that they didn't get the job done. But don't harp on it. Don't sound absolutely disgusted by it. Stop dropping the "I just can't believe they couldn't get a run in" stuff. There is a big gap between saying they didn't get the job done and what Marty and Thom get into at times when it comes to the players not getting the job done. When they get into those times, it sounds like the casual idiot at the sports bar.

24. Likes:

919191 (07-06-2013),Always Red (07-05-2013),BoxingRed (07-05-2013),Chip R (07-05-2013),gilpdawg (07-05-2013),Hoosier Red (07-05-2013),membengal (07-05-2013),REDREAD (07-05-2013),RFS62 (07-06-2013),Tom Servo (07-05-2013),wally post (07-06-2013)

I would imagine it would be very hard to eat Marty's lunch. He likely protects it with a passion.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?