Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

I think Joe helped tame Marty because Marty knew the audience had such a respect and love of Nuxie. I suspect Joe would tell Marty off the air that going over board on his criticisms just wasn't going to fly.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I think Joe helped tame Marty because Marty knew the audience had such a respect and love of Nuxie. I suspect Joe would tell Marty off the air that going over board on his criticisms just wasn't going to fly.
    Joe did his fair share of ripping, too. I really wouldn't have blamed Lenny Harris if he would have slugged both of them.

4. Likes:

Always Red (07-03-2013),Ghosts of 1990 (07-04-2013),RedEye (07-03-2013)

Marty needs to realize people listen/watch the Reds, not him. Last night was about Homer, not him.

6. Likes:

mth123 (07-03-2013),Tom Servo (07-03-2013)

I usually love Marty, but the BS last night with him and 700 was just that. BS. Indefensible. A grown man shouldn't be whining like a little girl about being snubbed from an interview, by a guy who's been trashed regularly when he first came up (too early I might add), after a no hitter when the leagues own network was there wanting to interviewhim.

Seg, Marty etc act like they are just as big, if not bigger celebrities than the Reds themselves.

This has officially turned me into an opponent of Marty. No broadcaster should behave this way. Marty has trashed players in the past for acting like they're bigger than the team or bigger than the game. Absolute hypocrisy for a guy who's never stepped foot on the pitcher's mound to do the same thing.
    Last edited by joshua; 07-03-2013 at 11:39 AM.

So I asked Lance McAlister for his thoughts, just to see the direction WLW was going to take this thing. It was pretty predictable. This whole thing isn't about Homer declining an interview with a company who's most vocal employee (who happens to be a 70 year old man) has done nothing but criticize and berate him publically him since the day he's come to the big leagues...it's about Homer being an a-hole to the fans. Not a surprising course of action from a company who does nothing but spin events.

@joshuadbethel 25m
    @LanceMcAlister What do you think of Marty whining over Homer snubbing 700 last night? Can you blame him after how much he's been trashed?
    @LanceMcAlister 17m
    @joshuadbethel about speaking to fans and sharing moment on Reds radio network/95 affiliates ...right?

It's so weird how the Reds are married to this broadcast partner who is actively hostile toward their business. WLW doesn't build stars, they tear them down. But there's simply nowhere else to go.

10. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-03-2013),kbrake (07-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    It's so weird how the Reds are married to this broadcast partner who is actively hostile toward their business. WLW doesn't build stars, they tear them down. But there's simply nowhere else to go.
    And is coupled with poor radio shows like Lance's and anything political (e.g. Bill Cunningham or "Bulldog" shows), so if you happen to turn your car off with 700 on, you turn it on to the radio equivalent of daytime network TV's lowest common denominator.

The only things that I can tolerate outside of most Reds games are Mo Egger's show (he's a baseball fan, so he gets the idea that the season isn't over if the Reds lose 3 in a row) and post-game shows during winning streaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    And is coupled with poor radio shows like Lance's and anything political (e.g. Bill Cunningham or "Bulldog" shows), so if you happen to turn your car off with 700 on, you turn it on to the radio equivalent of daytime network TV's lowest common denominator.

The only things that I can tolerate outside of most Reds games are Mo Egger's show (he's a baseball fan, so he gets the idea that the season isn't over if the Reds lose 3 in a row) and post-game shows during winning streaks.
    Same here. I wish I could get some real baseball radio without all the negativity and bias. McAlister will usually defend the team no matter what, but of course he's also going to trash Bailey over this. Such a shame. They can't be surprised he decline the interview either.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Same here. I wish I could get some real baseball radio without all the negativity and bias. McAlister will usually defend the team no matter what, but of course he's also going to trash Bailey over this. Such a shame. They can't be surprised he decline the interview either.
    My issue with Lance is more that his analysis is always reactionary and seems to focus on fixing flaws (most of which are short-term) rather than understanding the big picture. He's also generally catering to the lowest common denominator of fan by talking about things like batting average and home runs while ignoring a lot of other statistics.

At least to me, anyway.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I think the deal is that you don't mess with the king. And if someone messes with him, all the others have their back because the king could make or break them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Lance and Mo are in business to create discussion. That makes for more listeners and more advertisers. If it ticks you or me off, and makes us call their show, then so much the better for them.

My own bet is that a lot of guys who run sports talk programs might feel completely differently inside than what they say on the air. That's just the way it is, it's a business.
    sorry we're boring

This has got to upset the Reds brass. BCast has to be livid that people are more so talking about the off the field drama instead of Homer's no-hitter.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

18. Likes:

Big Klu (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think the deal is that you don't mess with the king. And if someone messes with him, all the others have their back because the king could make or break them.
    I think this is the case, I think Lance is very afraid of Marty. It kind of reminds me of JoePa at PSU. In a larger market JoePa would not have had nearly the amount of power he had. If Marty was a broadcaster in NY or Chicago there is no way he would get away with this crap.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Another reason why Marty just has to go.

Hopefully BCast remembers this incident when Marty's contract expires.
    Marty sometimes forgets that he's a Reds Employee, not a WLW employee.
    Marty also forgets that people tune in because the Reds are playing, not to hear
    the King Marty Talk Show.

Now I didn't hear the rant, but I did hear the interview Hannagan gave WLW.. Isn't that enough? Geez.

Joe was basically dragged out of the booth against his will. Everyone got over it relatively quickly (Although I did feel bad for Joe) The same thing will happen to Marty. Stuff like this is just going to hasten Marty's exit.

I have to give Thom B some credit. He has turned down the venom (although maybe that's because he seldom does radio with "Dad" anymore). In the past I have lumped the two Brennamans together, but Thom has improved.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (07-03-2013)

Thom is still horrible. Just not when you compare him to pops

Turn Off Ads?