Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think the deal is that you don't mess with the king. And if someone messes with him, all the others have their back because the king could make or break them.
    It's good to be the king.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Thom has improved lately, it must be on the days I have missed. He remains dreadful in my book.

The Marty - P-Doc self-righteous one-two punch makes me embarrassed to be from (close to) Cincinnati sometimes. Homer gives them the easiest day of coverage imaginable and all they see fit to discuss is his personality and language? Who are these guys, the baseball Christian temperance movement?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-04-2013),OGB (07-06-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    The Marty - P-Doc self-righteous one-two punch makes me embarrassed to be from (close to) Cincinnati sometimes. Homer gives them the easiest day of coverage imaginable and all they see fit to discuss is his personality and language? Who are these guys, the baseball Christian temperance movement?
    Seriously, dude?

IIRC, Marty dropped an S-bomb during his hair cut interview last year on Reds Live.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It's good to be the king.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-04-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Thom is still horrible. Just not when you compare him to pops
    That's why Marty retiring is actually worry, we'll get more Thom, nobody good.
    Go Gators!

OK here is my take. I've heard this about Jack Fleming (The Voice of the WVU Mountaineers and the Pittsburgh Steelers) and saw them beat him down and silence him. Marty is Marty and I love him. He is unique. Listen to the other pbp guys with other teams and you would be glad to have Marty. Listen to the TV guys on other teams and you're glad you have Thom and whoever is with him. It's all relative. No one would be perfect and never will be. If you want generic and someone who will be totally positive and rah-rah for the home team, just listen to other teams. You would think that team would walk on water even if they're 10 games below .500 and out of the race. If that's what you want--fantasy-- just don't listen. He is what he is and so is Thom. Same goes for Chris, Jeff and others. Kelch is boring and the only thing that saves him is his color man. I thank the heavens for our guys because I know we could be worse off.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

10. Likes:

jimbo (07-04-2013),WVPacman (07-04-2013)

Just throwing this out there because we can obviously never know the answer, but I wonder what the tone of this thread would have been in a pre-FSN Ohio/MLB Network world where everyone most likely would have only heard the game on the radio and the only chance to hear Homer's thoughts afterwords would have been talking to Seg.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Just throwing this out there because we can obviously never know the answer, but I wonder what the tone of this thread would have been in a pre-FSN Ohio/MLB Network world where everyone most likely would have only heard the game on the radio and the only chance to hear Homer's thoughts afterwords would have been talking to Seg.
    Of course in this world there would be no time pressure created by an interview with Sam Ryan, The Fox Ohio guy or the post game presser. I'd guess in that world, Homer would have talked to Seg. Someone posted earlier that video killed the radio star and they were exactly right IMO.

This may really be the heart of the issue. Marty and the Radio guys have been pushed into a secondary role. Maybe his/their ego can't deal with it and they need to create this WWF style trash to drum up business. Most fans are watching via Fox or MLBTV demoting Marty from voice of the Reds to secondary status where people only listen when TV isn't available or they are in their cars. I used to have the Reds on radio every night. Usually I'd have a radio in several rooms so I could hear the game no matter where in the house I may roam. Now I don't even have a radio except for XM in the car. I watch on TV when it's on and listen via the internet when it isn't. With Marty taking days off these days, he may not even be on when I must resort to the radio broadcast and I may go months without hearing him. That has to be quite a come down for the guy who was once more identified with the team than any of it's players.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Big Klu (07-04-2013)

I'd be fine with Chris Welsh stepping into Marty's role.

I need Marty to retire ASAP so I can remember him fondly and forget about his behavior these last few years.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (07-05-2013),REDREAD (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    That must make P-Doc Count DeMoney?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    OK here is my take. I've heard this about Jack Fleming (The Voice of the WVU Mountaineers and the Pittsburgh Steelers) and saw them beat him down and silence him. Marty is Marty and I love him. He is unique. Listen to the other pbp guys with other teams and you would be glad to have Marty. Listen to the TV guys on other teams and you're glad you have Thom and whoever is with him. It's all relative. No one would be perfect and never will be. If you want generic and someone who will be totally positive and rah-rah for the home team, just listen to other teams. You would think that team would walk on water even if they're 10 games below .500 and out of the race. If that's what you want--fantasy-- just don't listen. He is what he is and so is Thom. Same goes for Chris, Jeff and others. Kelch is boring and the only thing that saves him is his color man. I thank the heavens for our guys because I know we could be worse off.
    I am on the opposite side of this in so many ways. I want you to tell me what is going on in the game. Describe it to me. I don't want to hear your disgust that someone didn't do exactly what you wanted them to do. Marty and Thom share their disgust. I honestly believe it makes the fanbase bitter towards the team too. It isn't good for business. You don't need to be all rah-rah, I am not the biggest fan of that either.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (07-04-2013),redsfanmia (07-04-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Marty is Marty and I love him. He is unique. Listen to the other pbp guys with other teams and you would be glad to have Marty. Listen to the TV guys on other teams and you're glad you have Thom and whoever is with him. It's all relative. No one would be perfect and never will be.
    I love Marty too, in a way, because of what he has been to my own experience of baseball. I remember Jim McIntyre a bit and Al Michaels before he made it bigtime, but mostly it was Marty and Joe's voice coming from the transistor radio under my pillow from April through September (for the younger dudes here, we didn't have iheart radio yet!)

I've said here many a time that my own idea of what heaven might be is a soft summer night, listening to Marty and Joe call a Reds win, while sipping on a cold brew in my back yard, sitting with my dad. Again.

But those times are gone, and in retrospect, I think it's easy to see that the presence of Joe softened Marty's cynical edges. Without that moderating influence, well, we have seen what happens.

I have no problem listening to Marty, even now (and still enjoy him), but what he did the other night went beyond the pale. He detracted, purposely, from what was truly a joyous moment in Reds history. In the moment, he put himself above what he is charged with only describing.

And in this day in age, of open access, many of us have had the opportunity to listen to other broadcasters, other play by play guys, either through MLBapp or iheart radio (both of which I use) or because many, many posters here actually live somewhere other than Cincy. There are a lot of great broadcasters out there. There are many who are the equal or superior to Marty. Like flavors of ice cream, we all like something different. Look, I even enjoy George Grande, and I know many here don't care for him at all (I had the opportunity to meet and talk with GG a few times and have never met a kinder and more gracious man).

I don't want to see Marty fired or let go. At the end, he will enjoy a wonderful legacy here in Cincinnati. I'd like to see him continue to take more time off, as he sees fit and clearly enjoys doing (and who could begrudge a man of his age of wanting to work less?) and for others to step in.

This wasn't Marty's finest moment, but this too shall pass.
    sorry we're boring

20. Likes:

919191 (07-05-2013),Boss-Hog (07-06-2013),Hoosier Red (07-04-2013),KittyDuran (07-04-2013),mth123 (07-04-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-05-2013),Raisor (07-04-2013),Revering4Blue (07-04-2013),RFS62 (07-06-2013),RiverRat13 (07-04-2013),Roy Tucker (07-05-2013),traderumor (07-04-2013),westofyou (07-04-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

I would back a Brinks Truck up to Jon Miller's house to take Marty's place when he retires. He's my favorite radio guy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I would back a Brinks Truck up to Jon Miller's house to take Marty's place when he retires. He's my favorite radio guy.
    You don't have to fill up the truck though, right?

Turn Off Ads?