Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    If the point of the anti-sac-fly people can be stated this simply, then I agree with it: if a player is good enough to try and succeed at hitting a sac fly, why doesn't he just try and succeed to hit a single? My main concern is that a player at all costs avoid a K with a man on 3rd and fewer than two outs.

As to Marty, I have only heard him the last 5 years on SiriusXM. I've never lived in the broadcast area. I think he is a cantankerous treasure, and all you "Reds fans" (cough cough) talking bad about him should be ashamed.
    I'm not and I'm pretty big Reds fan despite your assertion, but if it somehow makes you a bigger "Reds" fan to not be a critic then why be critical of those who are? Wouldn't saying nothing make you *cough, cough* a bigger human?

2. Turn Off Ads?

As to Marty, I have only heard him the last 5 years on SiriusXM. I've never lived in the broadcast area. I think he is a cantankerous treasure, and all you "Reds fans" (cough cough) talking bad about him should be ashamed.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-02-2013),westofyou (07-02-2013)

I love Marty and I love listening to the game on the radio from time to time....and I make my kids listen from time to time just so they can say they have heard him....but anyone who says Marty does not complain like a small child has not listened to Reds radio.....but that is one of the things I love about Marty.....He can complain like he is going to hand in his reds fan card and retire to golf course then in the next breath you can hear his excitement when something good happens...I used to love listening to him and Joe get so excited when the Reds would play perfect small ball....just getting a bunt down to sac the runner over would get both of them so excited you would of thought someone hit a homerun.....I also think that is why Marty gets so worked up because todays game has changed so much from his glory days......when you see guys go from having part time jobs in the off season to guys making more in 1 year than most do in a lifetime and said players cannot get a bunt down or make contact to save their life, it has to be frustrating......

kind of off topic.....but I went to a dinner charity function where Marty was speaking once and he told the story about how back when he and Joe were really getting to know each other and how good they were, they both got huge pay raises.....they were making more than the some of the low tier guys on the team....and even one player started for most of the year and Marty was making more than him......I bet that would be hard to swallow when you see the coddling these guys get and then see them refuse to lay a bunt down when the shift is on, or refuse to change their approach with 2 strikes because they get paid to produce runs.....Marty cries like a baby more times than not, but more times not his cries are usually dead on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm not and I'm pretty big Reds fan despite your assertion, but if it somehow makes you a bigger "Reds" fan to not be a critic then why be critical of those who are? Wouldn't saying nothing make you *cough, cough* a bigger human?
    I did not mean to say, so I should not have implied, that not liking Marty makes one less of a Reds fan than otherwise. My apologies.

I was merely trying to express my confusion that actual Reds fans (which I know just about everyone on this board is) could actually dislike Marty. I've had a lifetime of listening to announcing homers (never EVER criticizing the home team, lest they be "shut out of the inner circle" -- this is kind of the way it is in St. Louis, especially it was under LaRussa), or simple bland P.C. announcers who won't go beyond mild criticism because "we don't play or manage" and "it's harder than it looks".

While watching bad baseball, I want the announcer to be as critical as I am, not be a boring excuse-maker. I love Marty.

I did not mean to say, so I should not have implied, that not liking Marty makes one less of a Reds fan than otherwise. My apologies.

I was merely trying to express my confusion that actual Reds fans (which I know just about everyone on this board is) could actually dislike Marty. I've had a lifetime of listening to announcing homers (never EVER criticizing the home team, lest they be "shut out of the inner circle" -- this is kind of the way it is in St. Louis, especially it was under LaRussa), or simple bland P.C. announcers who won't go beyond mild criticism because "we don't play or manage" and "it's harder than it looks".

While watching bad baseball, I want the announcer to be as critical as I am, not be a boring excuse-maker. I love Marty.
    I'm funning ya.. and I like Marty, I just don't think his take is always correct.. but it is consistent in delivery

Do you have the same opinion of the boy wonder, Thom? Because while Marty can be annoying and critical Thom just comes across as a grumpy jerk. My favorite example of this was the last day of the 2011 season in New York versus the Mets. Apparently they have some sort of hamburger stand at the stadium that gets rave reviews. Everyone in the booth got hamburgers. The camera man went to show Thom's hamburger and him eating it, and Thom threw a temper tantrum, on the air.

If I have to hear about Devin Mesoraco last successfully sacrifice bunting in 2009 anymore, I am going to start throwing things.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

westofyou (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Do you have the same opinion of the boy wonder, Thom?
    For some reason, the only Reds announcers who stick out in my mind (despite listening the last 5 years) are Marty and the Cowboy. Both of whom I like. The others, including Thom, I don't have an opinion of. When it comes to announcing, I guess some will consider that to be a good thing (like umpiring, perhaps a good announcer should not be noticed), and some a bad thing (my view is I want to be entertained by the announcer too, not just informed).

Votto hits a sac fly in the first inning. Hitting all the hot buttons of this thread (Votto, RBIs, sac flies). I thought for sure this thread would have blown up.

12. Likes:

dougdirt (07-02-2013),Tom Servo (07-02-2013)

apparently Homer not doing post-game interviews with Seg

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-02-2013)

Obviously, a pitcher who just recorded a no-hitter not giving the radio station an interview...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

16. Likes:

Chip R (07-02-2013),dougdirt (07-02-2013),westofyou (07-02-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Obviously, a pitcher who just recorded a no-hitter not giving the radio station an interview...
    What did Marty say?, I've been watching FSN.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    As Hatcher's post above mine noted... he refused or declined to give a interview with Seg (of WLW). Marty said (twice - IIRC) that he was disappointed (?) with Homer Bailey. He might have said it more times...

BTW, he's ready to take the podium to talk about it... so denying Seg the chance for an exclusive was probably because of time...
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 07-02-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: get the name right!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

19. Likes:

Always Red (07-02-2013),marcshoe (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    He was disappointed that first, Rob Butcher wasn't able to get Homer before he went to the clubhouse then he was disappointed that Homer declined to talk to Seg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    As Harper's post above mine noted... he refused or declined to give a interview with Seg (of WLW). Marty said (twice - IIRC) that he was disappointed (?) with Homer Bailey. He might have said it more times...

BTW, he's ready to take the podium to talk about it... so denying Seg the chance for an exclusive was probably because of time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He was disappointed that first, Rob Butcher wasn't able to get Homer before he went to the clubhouse then he was disappointed that Homer declined to talk to Seg.
    That's a shame, it was no time for any negativity.
    sorry we're boring

22. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (07-02-2013)

If I am not mistaken, Seg and Homer have some sort of standing feud. Tracy Jones will pick at that from time to time. Seg said something on the air about Homer, and Homer heard it, and does not speak to him. I don't care, I just want Homer to be the best Homer he can be. Seg could go eat McDonald's and watch NASCAR, and no one would notice he isn't there.

24. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (07-02-2013),Nasty_Boy (07-02-2013),westofyou (07-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?