Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Batting Average and the Reds

Re: Batting Average and the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    LOL I already showed you. Maybe you should calm down a little bit. No need to be so emotional.

SLG = TB / AB

See any mention of AVG there? No? Neither do I.

You can increase SLG without changing AVG by turning singles into doubles and home runs. Get more bases on the same number of hits.

There. I proved those things and shall henceforth call your statement a strawman.

AVG does a poor job of correlating with run scoring, certainly much less so than OBP and SLG. So expecting a reliance on AVG at the expense of OBP or SLG to yield an increase in run scoring is not likely to end well for your team.

Back to the original topic of the thread. Boosting OBP and/or SLG and hence OPS would be a better strategy than boosting AVG. Concentrating on wOBA would be even better.
    You failed the test.

You still haven't explained how a player can acquire total bases without improving his average. How does one acquire bases without getting a hit?

I'm waiting for that explanation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I"ve noticed it. And it's not limited to GABP, it's also on the road.

On the other hand the Reds are a pretty slow team. Not too many base runners who SHOULD be taking chances. But I've noticed this and have wondered about it.
    The Rangers series was a prime example as a plodding AL team ran circles around the Reds all weekend long. This team is terrible at stealing bases and average at best on taking the extra base. The defense looked good tonight, but the overall defense and baserunning really seems to have regressed from 2010-2012.

On the 2010 team, going first to third "was what we do" per Datdude

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The Rangers series was a prime example as a plodding AL team ran circles around the Reds all weekend long. This team is terrible at stealing bases and average at best on taking the extra base. The defense looked good tonight, but the overall defense and baserunning really seems to have regressed from 2010-2012.

On the 2010 team, going first to third "was what we do" per Datdude
    Thom commented on the game last night that the Rangers are an athletic ballclub. And they are tenth in MLB in steals.

The Reds have become a much slower team IMO. Phillips has slowed down, Votto had a serious injury, they no longer have Stubbs, among other things.

They could be more aggressive, true, but the personnel is station-to-station with a very few exceptions, like DRobinson who isn't an every day player. When Choo runs, it seems like the Reds are forcing the issue, he doesn't seem that fast. Hamilton's arrival will help.

I would note, however, that the Reds are third in MLB in Fangraphs' UBR stat, ultimate base running. This is a baserunning stat which does not include steals. But it does indicate that, by that measure, the Reds are viewed as a good team on the basepaths. Their stolen base numbers are poor.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.

The only thing I can add is that Willie McGee showed in 1993 that you could .300 and still be considered one of the worst producing hitters on your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Votto and Choo are making the team walk total misleading IMO.....it's not even remotely spread out like you might think from just looking at the numbers.
    The lack of depth in the lineup is the big issue. Those 6-7-8-9 spots are pretty lousy. It's like playing a six-inning game. Maybe even a little worse, because opponents know they can be awfully careful with the middle of the lineup because no one at the bottom of the order is going to beat them.

Every team is built with a few "hope" guys. You have the guys you know you can count on -- with the Reds, it's Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Choo -- and you have the "hope" guys. The Reds lost one "hope" guy (Ludwick) on opening day and the others have all been disappointing. Frazier, Cozart, Hanigan, Mes and, for the most part, all the LF fill-ins. If one or two of those guys come through with a good year, things are different. If all of them do, you have a really special season.

Turn Off Ads?