Thread: Norichika Aoki could be available

Re: Norichika Aoki could be available

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I didn't know Choo spoke Japanese.
    Maybe he would want to learn Japanese?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Aoki would be a great pickup if we could get him for two B level prospects.
    No Cingrani in the deal.. With the injuries to Cueto and the pen, Cingrani is untouchable this year.

I agree that he's a nice defensive player with a good OBP, but the zero power part will not make him that highly sought after.
    Heck, even as a Reds' fan, I'd rather have someone with more pop in LF.

I don't think interdivision trading is going to be an issue on this one, but the Brewers might be asking too much for him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Aoki would be a great pickup if we could get him for two B level prospects.
    No Cingrani in the deal.. With the injuries to Cueto and the pen, Cingrani is untouchable this year.

I agree that he's a nice defensive player with a good OBP, but the zero power part will not make him that highly sought after.
    Heck, even as a Reds' fan, I'd rather have someone with more pop in LF.

I don't think interdivision trading is going to be an issue on this one, but the Brewers might be asking too much for him.
    I understand the concern for lack of power but we have power bats. Ludwick/Heisey have good pop. I see Aoki filling our OBP/AVG need we have. I'd rather have Choo/Aoki in front of Votto/BP/Bruce/Frazier who all have good power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    per rotoworld:

Dude would look awfully good in LF and at the top of the order with Choo, and he's equally effective against lefties and righties.
    This is a perfect link and article for the Official Trade Deadline thread I created

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say: Wait...What?
    It was a way for me to sound funny but look stupid in the process....go ahead, pile it on me, I have big shoulders!

Once again, a thread offering a multitude of second and third tier prospects for a good player.

In this case, the player is not terribly expensive, the Brewers could keep him.

They will want a meaningful return. Not a meaningful NUMBER of players in return, but very good young players, even if unproven.

They will want Cingrani. The Reds will say no and offer Corcino. The Brewers will say no.

That will be the end of the discussion.

The Brewers will not want guys in rookie ball, save for a projected superstar. They will not want more advanced guys having bad years. They will want somebody who can contribute quickly.

And contribute quickly to improve their major league club.

They will not want to make a deal simply to add some names and improve the Reds' offense.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds will say no and offer Corcino. The Brewers will say no.
    Milwaukee would do a deal with Aoki for Corcino in a heartbeat.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Milwaukee would do a deal with Aoki for Corcino in a heartbeat.
    Maybe they should, but i doubt they would.

Corcino this year is 4-10 with a 6.57 ERA, striking out 6 per nine innings and walking almost 5 at AAA.

There may be mitigating factors, maybe he was rushed, but I think the Brewers will look to acquire somebody performing above sea level this year.

Again, they always have the option of keeping Aoki. They also have the option of talking to the other 28 teams in baseball who also have minor league players.

10. Likes:

mth123 (07-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Understood and acknowledged. Still don't like blanket comments like "Japanese hate Koreans" any more than I like comments like "Americans hate Germans."
    If the Nazis had occupied the US for years the vast majority of Americans would hate Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    If the Nazis had occupied the US for years the vast majority of Americans would hate Germans.
    The distance between this thread's original post and this comment cannot be measured by any tool currently known to man.

And for what it's worth, as much as I'd like to see Aoki in a Red's uniform, I just don't see the Reds giving up enough (i.e. Cingrani plus whoever else) to make that trade happen.

Once again, a thread offering a multitude of second and third tier prospects for a good player.

They will want a meaningful return. Not a meaningful NUMBER of players in return, but very good young players, even if unproven.

They will want Cingrani. The Reds will say no and offer Corcino. The Brewers will say no.

The Brewers will not want guys in rookie ball, save for a projected superstar. They will not want more advanced guys having bad years. They will want somebody who can contribute quickly.

They will not want to make a deal simply to add some names and improve the Reds' offense.
    Two factors drive the players trade value:

1. His value to his current team

2. His value to other teams.

Considering he can be a free agent so quickly, and the Brewers being a second division team, more than a year away from being a contender, Aoki has very little value to the Brewers. His low salary just means that he doesn't have much negative value to them, but it does t add any actual real value for them either.

So the only thing driving Aoki's trade value, is what other teams are willing to give up for him. It makes zero sense for the Brewers to keep him, if they are being offered anything in return.

Do you really think another team is going to offer anything near a top 50 MLB prospect, especially one who is already having success in the bigs for Aoki? Most teams have a better option for a corner outfielder than Aoki.

He currently ranks as the 27th best RF in MLB according to fangraphs. Drew Stubbs and Shane Robinson rank ahead of him. What teams needs him besides the Reds? Others teams obviously would want him because of his low salary, but that's it, not because he's an upgrade over who they currently have in RF or LF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

If they Reds offer Cingrani or Corcino, they're nuts. Like I said, if Ludwick wasn't hurt, the Reds would have zero interest. Aoki is a 4th OF with some OB skills. If that's the Brewers mojo, well, they'll continue to be the Brewers of old.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I think Aoki's being overvalued quite a bit here. While he's useful to the Reds due to Ludwick being hurt, at the end of the day he's a guy who can only play a corner OF spot and has zero power, bit a bit of OB skill. I know he's cheap, but he's a spare part on a good team. What would we pay if Ludwick wasn't hurt?
    I'm not sure I follow this logic. I'd say he fits a need under the assumption that Ludwick is probably not providing any meaningful production this season, if any at all. He would clearly be an upgrade offensively over Robinson, Heisey and Paul. I'd wonder if Heisey and a B prospect might be attractive?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    If they Reds offer Cingrani or Corcino, they're nuts. Like I said, if Ludwick wasn't hurt, the Reds would have zero interest. Aoki is a 4th OF with some OB skills. If that's the Brewers mojo, well, they'll continue to be the Brewers of old.
    The fact of the matter though is Ludwick IS hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Two factors drive the players trade value:

1. His value to his current team

2. His value to other teams.

Considering he can be a free agent so quickly, and the Brewers being a second division team, more than a year away from being a contender, Aoki has very little value to the Brewers. His low salary just means that he doesn't have much negative value to them, but it does t add any actual real value for them either.

So the only thing driving Aoki's trade value, is what other teams are willing to give up for him. It makes zero sense for the Brewers to keep him, if they are being offered anything in return.

Do you really think another team is going to offer anything near a top 50 MLB prospect, especially one who is already having success in the bigs for Aoki? Most teams have a better option for a corner outfielder than Aoki.

He currently ranks as the 27th best RF in MLB according to fangraphs. Drew Stubbs and Shane Robinson rank ahead of him. What teams needs him besides the Reds? Others teams obviously would want him because of his low salary, but that's it, not because he's an upgrade over who they currently have in RF or LF.
    Where is this fangraphs ranks him 27th figure?

Turn Off Ads?