Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91

Thread: All Star Game...Derek Jeter vs Barry Larkin Discussion

  1. #1
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    All Star Game...Derek Jeter vs Barry Larkin Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is called the 2014 All Star game. Not the All Star game. 2014 is all that SHOULD matter. We all know that it doesn't work that way, but it is supposed to work that way.
    The 2014 All-Star game should consist of all the players who are playing in 2014, and are All-Stars. To me, that means being one of the best at your positions for more than one year. Lots of guys have a good 80 games. They aren't all All-Stars. I understand why you and others feel otherwise, but when I watch an All-Star game, I want to watch the games best players, not guys who are in hot streaks at the right time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43,364

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The 2014 All-Star game should consist of all the players who are playing in 2014, and are All-Stars. To me, that means being one of the best at your positions for more than one year. Lots of guys have a good 80 games. They aren't all All-Stars. I understand why you and others feel otherwise, but when I watch an All-Star game, I want to watch the games best players, not guys who are in hot streaks at the right time.
    The "best players" thing went out of the window a very, very long time ago. Before I was even born, probably. When I watch the game, I want to see the guys playing the best right now, not a 40-year-old Derek Jeter who has as much range as I do and doesn't really do much with the bat anymore either. Jeter is one of the biggest stars in baseball, but he probably isn't one of the 100 best position players in the game.

  4. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (06-03-2014),dubc47834 (06-02-2014),HokieRed (05-31-2014),joshua (06-01-2014)

  5. #3
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The "best players" thing went out of the window a very, very long time ago. Before I was even born, probably. When I watch the game, I want to see the guys playing the best right now, not a 40-year-old Derek Jeter who has as much range as I do and doesn't really do much with the bat anymore either. Jeter is one of the biggest stars in baseball, but he probably isn't one of the 100 best position players in the game.
    We are in agreement on Jeter, lol.

    I don't want to just see the biggest stars, I want to see the biggest stars who are All-Stars that year. So no guys who once were great, and no guys who have been great for just this year. The team should consist of guys having great years, who had great years in the past. It would make for a smaller roster, but a better one, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  6. #4
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43,364

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We are in agreement on Jeter, lol.

    I don't want to just see the biggest stars, I want to see the biggest stars who are All-Stars that year. So no guys who once were great, and no guys who have been great for just this year. The team should consist of guys having great years, who had great years in the past. It would make for a smaller roster, but a better one, in my opinion.
    Do your MVPs also have to have been good in the past? What about Cy Young winners? I just don't get having an All-Star game in a given year and making it about other years. The logic doesn't compute for me.

  7. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (06-01-2014)

  8. #5
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    On Assignment: Kansas City
    Posts
    20,082

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Why include 2014 rookies on the ballot if it's not about 2014?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #6
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do your MVPs also have to have been good in the past? What about Cy Young winners? I just don't get having an All-Star game in a given year and making it about other years. The logic doesn't compute for me.
    MVP's and Cy Young's are voted on at the end of the year, after every player has performed for a whole year. If the All-Star game roster was chosen at the end of the year, it would be different, every player would have a full season under their belt and we'd know who truly had an All-Star year.

    Because we vote mid-season, Lance Lynn is an All-Star and Johnny Cueto never has been one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  10. #7
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Why include 2014 rookies on the ballot if it's not about 2014?
    How can we conclude someone is an All-Star after only 80 MLB career games? I have no problem naming a rookie an All-Star at the end of the season, just not in the middle.

    Clearly MLB doesn't agree with me, which is why rookies are on the ballot and make the team for the mid-season classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  11. #8
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43,364

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    MVP's and Cy Young's are voted on at the end of the year, after every player has performed for a whole year. If the All-Star game roster was chosen at the end of the year, it would be different, every player would have a full season under their belt and we'd know who truly had an All-Star year.

    Because we vote mid-season, Lance Lynn is an All-Star and Johnny Cueto never has been one.
    Pitchers aren't voted on by us. They are voted on by players and managers.

    But see what you did there? You just made the point for me. "We'd know who truly had an All-Star year". It's about that year, and fairly or unfairly, it's about that year and more so, that half of a year that takes place before July. For some reason, you seem to think it would be fine to use the 2014 season to justify the 2014 All-Star team, but not ok with using April-July of 2014 to determine the All-Star team that takes the field in July. It's very confusing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    How can we conclude someone is an All-Star after only 80 MLB career games? I have no problem naming a rookie an All-Star at the end of the season, just not in the middle.

    Clearly MLB doesn't agree with me, which is why rookies are on the ballot and make the team for the mid-season classic.
    Uh, because the all-star game is based on 80 games (give or take) in the first half of that season.

  12. #9
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pitchers aren't voted on by us. They are voted on by players and managers.

    But see what you did there? You just made the point for me. "We'd know who truly had an All-Star year". It's about that year, and fairly or unfairly, it's about that year and more so, that half of a year that takes place before July. For some reason, you seem to think it would be fine to use the 2014 season to justify the 2014 All-Star team, but not ok with using April-July of 2014 to determine the All-Star team that takes the field in July. It's very confusing.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Uh, because the all-star game is based on 80 games (give or take) in the first half of that season.
    I agree with you that it should be based on 2014. But because it's held mid season, we don't know who the true best players of 2014 are (will be) when we vote.

    MLB has decided that it's fine to base the decision of who is on the team solely on the first 80 games of each year. I disagree with that decision, because it results in players who aren't real All-Stars to be on the team. You, MLB and many others don't have a problem with that. I do. My solution? Base it on the first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  13. #10
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43,364

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree with you that it should be based on 2014. But because it's held mid season, we don't know who the true best players of 2014 are (will be) when we vote.
    Which is why we vote for the guys, or well, should, who are having the best seasons when we vote.

    MLB has decided that it's fine to base the decision of who is on the team solely on the first 80 games of each year. I disagree with that decision, because it results in players who aren't real All-Stars to be on the team. You, MLB and many others don't have a problem with that. I do. My solution? Base it on the first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career.
    If that were the case, no one would make an All-Star team before the age of 30 and we would be left watching a bunch of guys who aren't close to being the best players in the game.

  14. Likes:

    Always Red (06-02-2014)

  15. #11
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which is why we vote for the guys, or well, should, who are having the best seasons when we vote.



    If that were the case, no one would make an All-Star team before the age of 30 and we would be left watching a bunch of guys who aren't close to being the best players in the game.
    That's not true at all. It will be filled with guys who have had at least one full All-Star season. I'm guessing there would be less than five names each year in each team that I would want changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  16. #12
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43,364

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That's not true at all. It will be filled with guys who have had at least one full All-Star season. I'm guessing there would be less than five names each year in each team that I would want changed.
    It sure sounded like it was true. You wanted to base it on the rest of the players career, plus their half season. Either way, your logic seems strange. You want to reward players for things in the current season based on things that haven't taken place in the current season. That is awfully confusing to me. As I said before, it would be like voting on the Cy Young Award for 2014 and using things that happened before 2014 in your voting process.

  17. #13
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    On Assignment: Kansas City
    Posts
    20,082

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It sure sounded like it was true. You wanted to base it on the rest of the players career, plus their half season. Either way, your logic seems strange. You want to reward players for things in the current season based on things that haven't taken place in the current season. That is awfully confusing to me. As I said before, it would be like voting on the Cy Young Award for 2014 and using things that happened before 2014 in your voting process.

    Never get into a land war in Asia.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  18. Likes:

    Big Klu (06-01-2014),Old school 1983 (06-01-2014),Redeyecat (06-01-2014)

  19. #14
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    17,527

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It sure sounded like it was true. You wanted to base it on the rest of the players career, plus their half season. Either way, your logic seems strange. You want to reward players for things in the current season based on things that haven't taken place in the current season. That is awfully confusing to me. As I said before, it would be like voting on the Cy Young Award for 2014 and using things that happened before 2014 in your voting process.
    If the voting took place at the end of the season, we'd be in full agreement. Because it takes place mid season, I want to make sure the Lance Lynn, Jeff Locke's and Marco Scutaro's of the baseball world don't get mislabeled as All-Stars because they had a hot streak at the right time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

  20. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    59

    Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree with you that it should be based on 2014. But because it's held mid season, we don't know who the true best players of 2014 are (will be) when we vote.

    MLB has decided that it's fine to base the decision of who is on the team solely on the first 80 games of each year. I disagree with that decision, because it results in players who aren't real All-Stars to be on the team. You, MLB and many others don't have a problem with that. I do. My solution? Base it on the first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career.
    Isn't the "first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career" simply their entire career?

  21. Likes:

    Redeyecat (06-01-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | redsfan1995 | The Operator