Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Star Game...Derek Jeter vs Barry Larkin Discussion

All Star Game...Derek Jeter vs Barry Larkin Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is called the 2014 All Star game. Not the All Star game. 2014 is all that SHOULD matter. We all know that it doesn't work that way, but it is supposed to work that way.
    The 2014 All-Star game should consist of all the players who are playing in 2014, and are All-Stars. To me, that means being one of the best at your positions for more than one year. Lots of guys have a good 80 games. They aren't all All-Stars. I understand why you and others feel otherwise, but when I watch an All-Star game, I want to watch the games best players, not guys who are in hot streaks at the right time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Mez: Just how good is he?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The 2014 All-Star game should consist of all the players who are playing in 2014, and are All-Stars. To me, that means being one of the best at your positions for more than one year. Lots of guys have a good 80 games. They aren't all All-Stars. I understand why you and others feel otherwise, but when I watch an All-Star game, I want to watch the games best players, not guys who are in hot streaks at the right time.
    The "best players" thing went out of the window a very, very long time ago. Before I was even born, probably. When I watch the game, I want to see the guys playing the best right now, not a 40-year-old Derek Jeter who has as much range as I do and doesn't really do much with the bat anymore either. Jeter is one of the biggest stars in baseball, but he probably isn't one of the 100 best position players in the game.

4. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (06-03-2014),dubc47834 (06-02-2014),HokieRed (05-31-2014),joshua (06-01-2014)

The "best players" thing went out of the window a very, very long time ago. Before I was even born, probably. When I watch the game, I want to see the guys playing the best right now, not a 40-year-old Derek Jeter who has as much range as I do and doesn't really do much with the bat anymore either. Jeter is one of the biggest stars in baseball, but he probably isn't one of the 100 best position players in the game.
    We are in agreement on Jeter, lol.

I don't want to just see the biggest stars, I want to see the biggest stars who are All-Stars that year. So no guys who once were great, and no guys who have been great for just this year. The team should consist of guys having great years, who had great years in the past. It would make for a smaller roster, but a better one, in my opinion.

We are in agreement on Jeter, lol.

I don't want to just see the biggest stars, I want to see the biggest stars who are All-Stars that year. So no guys who once were great, and no guys who have been great for just this year. The team should consist of guys having great years, who had great years in the past. It would make for a smaller roster, but a better one, in my opinion.
    Do your MVPs also have to have been good in the past? What about Cy Young winners? I just don't get having an All-Star game in a given year and making it about other years. The logic doesn't compute for me.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-01-2014)

Why include 2014 rookies on the ballot if it's not about 2014?

Do your MVPs also have to have been good in the past? What about Cy Young winners? I just don't get having an All-Star game in a given year and making it about other years. The logic doesn't compute for me.
    MVP's and Cy Young's are voted on at the end of the year, after every player has performed for a whole year. If the All-Star game roster was chosen at the end of the year, it would be different, every player would have a full season under their belt and we'd know who truly had an All-Star year.

Because we vote mid-season, Lance Lynn is an All-Star and Johnny Cueto never has been one.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Why include 2014 rookies on the ballot if it's not about 2014?
    How can we conclude someone is an All-Star after only 80 MLB career games? I have no problem naming a rookie an All-Star at the end of the season, just not in the middle.

Clearly MLB doesn't agree with me, which is why rookies are on the ballot and make the team for the mid-season classic.

MVP's and Cy Young's are voted on at the end of the year, after every player has performed for a whole year. If the All-Star game roster was chosen at the end of the year, it would be different, every player would have a full season under their belt and we'd know who truly had an All-Star year.

Because we vote mid-season, Lance Lynn is an All-Star and Johnny Cueto never has been one.
    Pitchers aren't voted on by us. They are voted on by players and managers.

But see what you did there? You just made the point for me. "We'd know who truly had an All-Star year". It's about that year, and fairly or unfairly, it's about that year and more so, that half of a year that takes place before July. For some reason, you seem to think it would be fine to use the 2014 season to justify the 2014 All-Star team, but not ok with using April-July of 2014 to determine the All-Star team that takes the field in July. It's very confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

How can we conclude someone is an All-Star after only 80 MLB career games? I have no problem naming a rookie an All-Star at the end of the season, just not in the middle.

Clearly MLB doesn't agree with me, which is why rookies are on the ballot and make the team for the mid-season classic.
    Uh, because the all-star game is based on 80 games (give or take) in the first half of that season.

Pitchers aren't voted on by us. They are voted on by players and managers.

But see what you did there? You just made the point for me. "We'd know who truly had an All-Star year". It's about that year, and fairly or unfairly, it's about that year and more so, that half of a year that takes place before July. For some reason, you seem to think it would be fine to use the 2014 season to justify the 2014 All-Star team, but not ok with using April-July of 2014 to determine the All-Star team that takes the field in July. It's very confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, because the all-star game is based on 80 games (give or take) in the first half of that season.
    I agree with you that it should be based on 2014. But because it's held mid season, we don't know who the true best players of 2014 are (will be) when we vote.

MLB has decided that it's fine to base the decision of who is on the team solely on the first 80 games of each year. I disagree with that decision, because it results in players who aren't real All-Stars to be on the team. You, MLB and many others don't have a problem with that. I do. My solution? Base it on the first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career.

I agree with you that it should be based on 2014. But because it's held mid season, we don't know who the true best players of 2014 are (will be) when we vote.
    Which is why we vote for the guys, or well, should, who are having the best seasons when we vote.

MLB has decided that it's fine to base the decision of who is on the team solely on the first 80 games of each year. I disagree with that decision, because it results in players who aren't real All-Stars to be on the team. You, MLB and many others don't have a problem with that. I do. My solution? Base it on the first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career.
    If that were the case, no one would make an All-Star team before the age of 30 and we would be left watching a bunch of guys who aren't close to being the best players in the game.

14. Likes:

Always Red (06-02-2014)

Which is why we vote for the guys, or well, should, who are having the best seasons when we vote.

If that were the case, no one would make an All-Star team before the age of 30 and we would be left watching a bunch of guys who aren't close to being the best players in the game.
    That's not true at all. It will be filled with guys who have had at least one full All-Star season. I'm guessing there would be less than five names each year in each team that I would want changed.

That's not true at all. It will be filled with guys who have had at least one full All-Star season. I'm guessing there would be less than five names each year in each team that I would want changed.
    It sure sounded like it was true. You wanted to base it on the rest of the players career, plus their half season. Either way, your logic seems strange. You want to reward players for things in the current season based on things that haven't taken place in the current season. That is awfully confusing to me. As I said before, it would be like voting on the Cy Young Award for 2014 and using things that happened before 2014 in your voting process.

It sure sounded like it was true. You wanted to base it on the rest of the players career, plus their half season. Either way, your logic seems strange. You want to reward players for things in the current season based on things that haven't taken place in the current season. That is awfully confusing to me. As I said before, it would be like voting on the Cy Young Award for 2014 and using things that happened before 2014 in your voting process.

Never get into a land war in Asia.

If the voting took place at the end of the season, we'd be in full agreement. Because it takes place mid season, I want to make sure the Lance Lynn, Jeff Locke's and Marco Scutaro's of the baseball world don't get mislabeled as All-Stars because they had a hot streak at the right time.

Isn't the "first 80 games, plus the rest of the players career" simply their entire career?

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-01-2014)

Turn Off Ads?