Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 B1G Football Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2013-14 B1G Football Discussion Thread

For B1G fans, who is your favorite team and how do you think they will do this year?

Obviously I am a fan of the greatest college in America, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY and I am feeling good about the upcoming season.

I think Coach Meyer and Braxton Miller will lead the Buckeyes to a BCS National Championship and I think they will take down oversigning Alabama in the title game.

I also think it'd be a fitting ending to the SEC's reign, the man who started the run will also end the run.

I also think Indiana will finally break through and get a bowl bid. If you look at Coach Wilson's recruiting class for 2013 he snagged some pretty good recruits. I am excited to see where IU football goes from here.

And lastly I interested to see how Purdue does with their new HC Darrell Hazell. He tore it up when he was at Kent State and I think he will do great at Purdue.

Re: 2013-14 B1G Football Discussion Thread

Northwestern is another team to watch they have alot of people back and I could see them making the big ten title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Obviously I am a fan of the greatest college in America, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY and I am feeling good about the upcoming season.
    Wait a second. Are they a college or a university?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Wait a second. Are they a college or a university?
    Ya got me lol!

Will be an upset if OSU loses a game in the B1G

Indiana is making strides under Kevin Wilson, I expect bigger things this year from the Hoosiers.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Indiana is making strides under Kevin Wilson, I expect bigger things this year from the Hoosiers.
    Yes my mom and dad are both IU alum, so they have always been my 2nd favorite team.

I was actually sad when they fired Coach Lynch. I thought he had the team moving in the right direction and in 2009 he had a lot of close losses (and his team got screwed in their game against Michigan on a horrible call by the officials).

I also liked the way he got fired up on the sidelines.

SO you can imagine the way I felt about Coach Wilson after his first year at IU going 1-11. Oh and he also had one of the top QB's in the country committed to play in Gunner Keil, only to have Keil transfer as fast as he committed.

But Coach Wilson has been bringing in some impressive recruiting classes, with 2013 being IU's best ever.

So I do believe IU will break through this year and make a bowl. I also believe IU will go on a nice run with winning season after winning season.

As for other B1G teams, I think Purdue should improve with Darrell Hazell as their coach, and I think Iowa will continue to struggle. Kirk Ferentz has had some duds in his last few recruiting classes, and he recently said Iowa is not pursuing guys from Florida any more. I believe it had to with the expense of traveling from Iowa to Florida for recruiting. This to me is a bad sign for Iowa. If you want to compete with the likes of OSU and UM, you MUST recruit away from your own territory. It also screams "small time".

And lastly I think we are about to see another classic 10 year war between OSU and UM. With the impressive recruiting classes Coaches Meyer and Hoke have been bringing in, and the fact that both schools finally have head coaches that truly understand what the greatest rivalry in all of sports is all about, I think we will see some classic battles between the two schools we haven't seen since the days of Woody and Bo.

I am looking forward to this upcoming B1G football season!
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 07-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Can't wait to see what Devin Gardner does after actually working as a QB in the offseason... Michigan will be a tough out this year.

Any idea on how long it will take Urban to have 39% of one team arrested in Columbus like his 2008 Florida squad?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Can't wait to see what Devin Gardner does after actually working as a QB in the offseason... Michigan will be a tough out this year.

Any idea on how long it will take Urban to have 39% of one team arrested in Columbus like his 2008 Florida squad?
    If anyone on OSU's team got arrested, why would that be Urban's fault? Adults are responsible for their own actions.

Besides, if you want to try and blame coaches for adults actions, Alabama actually won the Fulmer Cup in 2008. Oddly though, as much as EsecPN and the rest of the OSU/Meyer haters would like you to think, Florida (or any team led by Meyer) has NEVER won the Fulmer Cup.

So keep on trying to blame coaches for others actions. The truth is ESPN, (who has a huge contract with the SEC, and has direct competition from the B1G Network, with OSU being the biggest money maker) along with the SEC conference, feels threatened by what Meyer and OSU are doing recruiting wise, and they know OSU has the biggest chance to break the SEC's win streak.

So they will do anything in their power to shine OSU and Meyer in a bad light, and they will grasp for any straws they can to do so.

Alabama, as well as many many other big programs, have players get arrested. But it's absolutely ridiculous to try and blame others for adults actions.

Why aren't people criticizing Saban for all the arrests his team has had? Because he is in the SEC, and Meyer is now in the B1G.

And besides, if you want to play the blame game and blame someone besides Hernandez (which is solely who the blame should fall on for his murder charge, why not blame Belicheck? You know, his CURRENT coach? Or heck, why not blame his 1st grade teacher?

This is all simply about getting hits to websites and stirring the pot, as any story with Ohio State in it sells. It gets people to comment.

Oh and if you are one of those guys who somehow blames coaches for other adults' actions, check out the Fulmer Cup. It gives you a scope of which programs have the most evil coaches (again, if you are one of the idiots who blame coaches for other adults' actions).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulmer_Cup#Past_winners

yes Florida under Meyer had guys get arrested. But why does Meyer get the blame for this yet coaches of other programs get free passes by the media, mainly ESPN. It's funny how ESPN only suddenly cares now that Meyer is at OSU. But ESPN has had a bone to pick with OSU ever since the B1G network started, so why should I even be surprised?
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 07-07-2013 at 11:36 AM.

So it's not up to the head coach of a program to maintain institutional control? And it's not up to a program currently on probation to make a prudent hire?

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

So it's not up to the head coach of a program to maintain institutional control? And it's not up to a program currently on probation to make a prudent hire?

Is Meyer on any type of probation? Didn't think so. So why would there be an issue with OSU hiring him?

And I never said a coach shouldn't try and maintain institutional control. But UF isn't on any kind of probation. In fact even with the arrests that happened when Meyer was the head coach UF never got in trouble for anything. Maybe that's just a product of being in the SEC but Meyer has never been in trouble with the NCAA and neither was UF under his watch.

I think maybe at least the NCAA understands that football players, who are adults, can get in trouble. It happens. But to blame the coaches is absurd.
    But it's funny how now that he is the coach of The Ohio State University everyone suddenly cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Is Meyer on any type of probation? Didn't think so. So why would there be an issue with OSU hiring him?

And I never said a coach shouldn't try and maintain institutional control. But UF isn't on any kind of probation. In fact even with the arrests that happened when Meyer was the head coach UF never got in trouble for anything. Maybe that's just a product of being in the SEC but Meyer has never been in trouble with the NCAA and neither was UF under his watch.

I think maybe at least the NCAA understands that football players, who are adults, can get in trouble. It happens. But to blame the coaches is absurd.
    But it's funny how now that he is the coach of The Ohio State University everyone suddenly cares.
    You do understand that if issues suddenly come to light that happened a few years back are found to be true then the coach is still culpable right? Just because all of the details weren't known when he was at Florida doesn't make him any less guilty if some of the recent accusations of cover-ups are true.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

You're being a complete troll. If you want to talk about the Meyer program at Florida open another thread.

I wish OSU's non-conference schedule was more testing. A bad MAC team (Buffalo), an FCS team (Florida A&M), a pretty decent MWC team (San Diego State), and a bad PAC-10 school (Cal) won't earn much respect in the ratings or test the team that much.

I know they are at the mercy of long-determined scheduling and Cal (their big non-conf opponent) being bad, but I think they'll need to beef that up in the forthcoming playoff system.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I wish OSU's non-conference schedule was more testing. A bad MAC team (Buffalo), an FCS team (Florida A&M), a pretty decent MWC team (San Diego State), and a bad PAC-10 school (Cal) won't earn much respect in the ratings or test the team that much.

I know they are at the mercy of long-determined scheduling and Cal (their big non-conf opponent) being bad, but I think they'll need to beef that up in the forthcoming playoff system.
    Well like you said the schedules are made years in advance. At the time Cal was scheduled they were a good program. How was OSU supposed to know they would be bad in 2013?

OSU has always tried to schedule a great non conference matchup every year. Some years past they had Texas, USC, Washington, and of course Cal.

Like I said though, how was anyone supposed to know Cal would be bad in 2013? And besides, the 2013 season hasn't even started yet. Who knows, with a new coach maybe Cal will be good this year.

Turn Off Ads?