Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: 7/2/13 - Reds vs. Gigantes - Homer Bailey's 2nd No Hitter

Re: 7/2/13 - Reds vs. Gigantes - Homer Bailey's 2nd No Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And kudos to Tom Servo for this no hitter game thread - you posted a good game, brother!

Funny, I looked back at Homer's first no-hitter, and I didn't start the thread (that credit goes to cumberlandreds) but I provided the PBP in a thread completely dead for the first 7 innings.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98645
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Funny, I looked back at Homer's first no-hitter, and I didn't start the thread (that credit goes to cumberlandreds) but I provided the PBP in a thread completely dead for the first 7 innings.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98645

Just always remember who got it all started.

I was thinking, that for all the hoopla of last night I believe I would have traded that for a win last October in game 3,4 or 5 against these same Giants.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-03-2013)

The play by Votto was fascinating. If he fires across the infield and doesn't get the runner, I assume it would have been scored a hit??? However, with a home scorer, and the game in "no-hitter mode" was there anyway it could have been ruled a FC without an out? I heard two different talking heads speak of there being "no great defensive play in the game". I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The play by Votto was fascinating. If he fires across the infield and doesn't get the runner, I assume it would have been scored a hit??? However, with a home scorer, and the game in "no-hitter mode" was there anyway it could have been ruled a FC without an out? I heard two different talking heads speak of there being "no great defensive play in the game". I disagree.
    Fielder's choice is defined in MLB Rule 2, "Definitions", as "the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner." FC is recorded for the batter-runner if he reaches first base safely regardless of whether the attempt to put out the other runner(s) is successful. A batter who reaches first base safely as the result of a fielder's choice is not credited with a hit or a time on base.
    So, in a word, no. He would not be credited with a hit. At least that is how I am reading this rule.

7. Likes:

Mutaman (07-03-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    So, in a word, no. He would not be credited with a hit. At least that is how I am reading this rule.
    I understand the rule, but I think it's the scorer's discretion whether to rule it a hit if they believe the runner would have been safe anyways. I'm probably wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I understand the rule, but I think it's the scorer's discretion whether to rule it a hit if they believe the runner would have been safe anyways. I'm probably wrong though.
    No, I think you are probably correct. The official scorer has some discretion. I think it would have to be pretty clear cut though. Especially at home, late in the game, with a no-hitter going on.

Rosie Raisor. Yep, the cat is officially out of the bag now.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Servo doesn't suck any longer! He's good again!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I was at the beach and didn't get to watch the game but I followed along on my phone. Congrats to Homer on his second no-hitter! What a game. I really hope the Reds find a way to sign him long-term.

Turn Off Ads?