Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dodgers now have a sickness

Dodgers now have a sickness

They have traded for Carlos Marmol. A separate report today says they are in a Chase for Utley (shameless pun).

This team is becoming the Cubs, only with a lot higher payroll and being a caricature of a fantasy baseball owner.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Dodgers now have a sickness

Like the Angels across town, they have so much money coming in from TV coffers that they can literally waste it and still have lots left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Like the Angels across town, they have so much money coming in from TV coffers that they can literally waste it and still have lots left over.
    That's probably true for now, but if in a few years these players become ineffective, I doubt they'll be able to afford acquiring new, expensive players and still be able to pay the aging, ineffective players to go away.

It's one thing to pay $200 million in superstars. It's another to pay $200 million in guys that are a liability and still hope to pay $100-200 million more in productivity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The only cure is more cowbell.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-03-2013), RedEye (07-02-2013), The Operator (07-03-2013)

Dodger fans need to hold a benefit to keep the team from overspending on bad players.

Call it Marmol-aid

8. Likes:

Always Red (07-02-2013), camisadelgolf (07-02-2013), Larry Schuler (07-02-2013), RedEye (07-02-2013), RichRed (07-03-2013), The Operator (07-03-2013), traderumor (07-03-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Dodgers Designate Carlos Marmol For Assignment

By Steve Adams [July 3 at 11:54am CST]

11:54am: Gammons tweets that Marmol has already been placed on outright waivers. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the outright move is procedural. Marmol has agreed to go to the minor leagues and try to work out his struggles there.

10:35am: The Dodgers have designated Carlos Marmol for assignment, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons reports that the Dodgers were only interested in the international bonus slot they acquired in the deal, not in retaining Marmol as a member of their bullpen.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

So you can take on salary for another team in exchange for slot money, but you can't just "sell Intl slot money.

Looks like a loophole to me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dodgers are also pursuing Ricky Nolasco.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dodgers are also pursuing Ricky Nolasco.
    And Chase Utley.

They may have a sickness, but I still think they're the favorites to win the NL West. They're just a few games out, closer than the Reds are to first.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I think San Francisco can still potentially recover from their tailspin, and Arizona will finish somewhere in the high 80 range of wins. Rockies and Padres don't have pitching. Los Angeles may be able to throw enough money at their problems to win, but I'm not counting on it.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think San Francisco can still potentially recover from their tailspin, and Arizona will finish somewhere in the high 80 range of wins. Rockies and Padres don't have pitching. Los Angeles may be able to throw enough money at their problems to win, but I'm not counting on it.
    I just don't see the Giants doing anything this season. I think Colin Cowherd said something about them that rings true. They are a team built for the postseason but not necessarily the regular season. If they get into the playoffs they are dangerous, but at times it is a struggle. I just don't see where the offense is going to come from. Their pitching is also a little down this season. I like the DBacks as of right now but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    They have traded for Carlos Marmol. A separate report today says they are in a Chase for Utley (shameless pun).

This team is becoming the Cubs, only with a lot higher payroll and being a caricature of a fantasy baseball owner.
    The Dodgers also got the # 4 pick in the International Draft, and $ 400,000 to help sign him.

Marmol just might be effective, seeing as he'll probably be used in the 6th or 7th inning. It's closing that bothers him.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

I'd still take a shot at Marmol. Let Price work with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    The Dodgers also got the # 4 pick in the International Draft, and $ 400,000 to help sign him.

Marmol just might be effective, seeing as he'll probably be used in the 6th or 7th inning. It's closing that bothers him.
    That's what the Cubs thought, tried it, then shipped him out on a slow boat to tinsel town.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?