Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 MVP

1973 MVP

Could someone please explain to me how Pete Rose won the 1973 NL MVP award over Willie Stargell, not to mention Joe Morgan? I wasn't alive at the time, so I don't know the details surrounding this.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...73.shtml#NLmvp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1973 MVP

I was in 4th grade. Literally the only thing I remember seeing from the 1973 season is Pete getting into a fight with Bud Harrelson in the playoffs. Our teacher let us watch the game during school.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Could someone please explain to me how Pete Rose won the 1973 NL MVP award
    Hustle, grit, and a few splashes of cool Aqua Velva after shave can take a man a long ways.

EMAW

If memory serves, from 70-77, only in 71 and 74 did a Reds player NOT win the award

Could someone please explain to me how Pete Rose won the 1973 NL MVP award over Willie Stargell, not to mention Joe Morgan? I wasn't alive at the time, so I don't know the details surrounding this.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...73.shtml#NLmvp
    It was the sideburns that put him over the top.

He won the batting title and had an OB% over .400 and his team was the best in the league, the Pirates finished 80-82.

Oh and Fangraphs wasn't around to make a world issue out of it

8. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (08-15-2013),Big Klu (08-15-2013),cumberlandreds (08-14-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-14-2013),oneupper (08-14-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He won the batting title and had an OB% over .400 and his team was the best in the league, the Pirates finished 80-82.

Well, Stargell led the league in HR and RBI in an age when those stats were part of the pantheon. I guess it probably was the fact that the Pirates didn't make the playoffs that Stargell didn't win, but Dawson won in 1987 with a similar, but less impressive, season despite the Cubs finishing in last place.

I was just curious. I had never seen such a disparity in statistics between the winner and runner-up in MVP voting before.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

At least Rose had a WAR (BR style) that was up there with the league leaders.

In 1974 Steve Garvey won with a line that would not have pleased the geeks.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Well, Stargell led the league in HR and RBI in an age when those stats were part of the pantheon. I guess it probably was the fact that the Pirates didn't make the playoffs that Stargell didn't win, but Dawson won in 1987 with a similar, but less impressive, season despite the Cubs finishing in last place.

I was just curious. I had never seen such a disparity in statistics between the winner and runner-up in MVP voting before.
    Zoilo Versalles says hey

12. Likes:

BRM13 (08-14-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

IMO, a big difference between Stargell and Dawson is WGN. People were aware of Dawson simply because of how visible the Cubs were.

14. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Yes. Actually there are much worse results in MVP voting than Rose winning the award in 1973, and Stargell most definitely did not deserve the award (he did deserve the award in 1971).
    Tom Seaver actually lead the NL in WAR in 1973 with 11.0, but Joe Morgan was probably the best player in the NL that season, with a WAR of 9.3. Rose finished fourth in WAR at 8.3, which is still a good score.
    Darrell Evans was third in WAR (9.0), Bobby Bonds was fifth (7.7), Cesar Cedeno sixth (7.4) and Stargell seventh (7.2).
    Rose not only was the batting champion and had a high OBP, he also had 230 hits and was percevied as the leader of baseball's best team (at least before the NLCS).
    MVP voting between 1970 and 1974 became controversial, as a white player won the award each year over a black player whom some believed was more deserving. I actually thought that Johnny Bench over Billy Williams in both 1970 and 1972 was justified. Steve Garvey was a poor pick in 1974-I would have gone with Morgan or Bench. 1971 was the strange year, as Joe Torre won it over Stargell; both men had great seasons, but I thought Stargell's was just a bit better and he played on a first place team while Torre did not.
    Black players had won the NL MVP from 1965 through 1969 and would again win it from 1975 through 1978; in 1979 the award was shared by Keith Hernandez and Stargell.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

16. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (08-14-2013)

Wow Aaron had 40 HR's in just 392 at bats.

1973 and 1987 were both very close votes. Just a few votes would have changed the outcome. They both came down to two players, one with better stats, but who played on a non-contender, and one with not as good, but still worthy stats who played on a championship team.

Dawson also was a feel good story. He was a free agent in the off season, and no one offered him a contract, due to collusion. He went to the Cubs, and gave them a blank contract, and told him he would sign, no matter what the salary was. They signed him for $500K, and went on to have an MVP year. I'm guessing the voters wanted to give the finger to the owners for their obvious collusion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

He was also the best Defensive Left-Fielder in baseball, leading all LF'ers in Assists with 15 and putouts with 345. He didn't win the Gold Glove, but he should have. He only made three errors.

He also reached base more than any other person in baseball having reached base 301 times that season.

It was a close vote, but Defensively, he was far superior to Stargell, while Offensively, his 230 hits had not been surpassed until Ichiro did it recently.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

BBWAA

Sportswriters of the day loved Rose.

I read here all the time how terrible his personality is, but the problem is not his personality. He actually has a great personality, as long as you're talking about Pete. Which is what sportswriters did and in that regard, he's no different than thousands of other MLB'ers.

Had he kept out of trouble, he might have been a unanimous, first ballot HoF.

But those guys are all gone.
    sorry we're boring

21. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-15-2013),Chip R (08-14-2013),remdog (08-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?