Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why does it matter whether Puig keeps this up later (we know he won't maintain this pace)? As of now, he's a huge force in the game. If he turns into a 4th OF down the road, why does that mean he shouldn't be in the game now?
    I guess it just depends on your philosophy of picking who should be on the team. I think a guy should have a track record. Others don't. I respect that. I just don't agree.

For me to say a rookie should be in the game, to me it should only be rookies like Gooden, Fernando, Pujols, guys where there is no question. If you have to debate it, then he doesn't belong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I don't think he should be considered. Too small of a sample. It'd be like when Jeff Francoeur started his career super hot, made the cover of SI, whole nine yards, if they had put him in. We don't know what Puig is yet. He could be Pujols, or he could be Francoeur (and I worry about Puig's K/BB ratio going forward, regression could hit him hard) no question he has the talent, though.

That said, I don't really care about the game. The All Star game is pretty worthless and watered down already, so if people want him there, I'm not going to be mad about it.
    The only reason I care at all about the game is the effect on the World Series. Doesn't mean I'll watch it but I'll care who wins. Way to go Bud.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The Reds encourage folks to vote for Ryan Ludwick, and give them free pizza at GABP to do so.

700000 or so people voted for Derek Jeter.

Dan Uggla made the ASG last year whilst just barely making it over the Mendoza line. Scott Rolen made it in 2011.

So yeah, it's an exhibition game, no matter what Bud wants it to be, and I can't get too up in arms if a kid who has been the best player over the last 6 weeks is included on the team, even if he hasn't been on the team all 3 months.
    sorry we're boring

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (07-06-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A Dodger is hitting .413/.455/.728 in 30 games on the season and should be in the All-Star game? Weird, I haven't heard much of a push for Hanley Ramirez making the All-Star team.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A Dodger is hitting .413/.455/.728 in 30 games on the season and should be in the All-Star game? Weird, I haven't heard much of a push for Hanley Ramirez making the All-Star team.
    Well, I guess you're not a regular poster on HanleyRamirezZone.com, now are you?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Well, I guess you're not a regular poster on HanleyRamirezZone.com, now are you?
    I am not. But only because it doesn't exist.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I have waffled on this one a couple of times. I say yes now. I want to see him on that stage.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Interesting thought to consider. Don't make me change my mind again.

No. 127 plate appearances in a career are too few to make the all star team IMO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    No. 127 plate appearances in a career are too few to make the all star team IMO.
    But we've seen guys go in before who were injured most of the first half of the season, but got by on fan popularity. I don't think there's any real rule to this, just a feel.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    But we've seen guys go in before who were injured most of the first half of the season, but got by on fan popularity. I don't think there's any real rule to this, just a feel.
    I would be likely to favor including a guy with no more plate appearances in a season if he was an established star, say a Willie Mays type player who just happened to have been hurt but about who there was no question if he was a flash in the pan.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Puig with five straight k's....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Puig with five straight k's....
    Another pitch away and out of the zone.

He is gong to be pounded away and out of the zone until he shows he can lay off of it. So far in his career, he hasn't been able to, but pitchers haven't been throwing there much. The adjustment is coming and soon it will be in his court as to whether he can adjust back.

Another pitch away and out of the zone.

He is gong to be pounded away and out of the zone until he shows he can lay off of it. So far in his career, he hasn't been able to, but pitchers haven't been throwing there much. The adjustment is coming and soon it will be in his court as to whether he can adjust back.
    You're right. 5% BB, 20%K...he has an uphill climb ahead of him once the league figures him out. I'm surprised it took this long.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I strongly disagree with most of you. I'd take Puig's 1/3 of the first half along with a minor league free agent OF of my choice for the other 2/3 of the first half and take my chances.

Puig is the best baseball player on the planet right now, and in the long run, he will give Trout and Harper a run for their money.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?