Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Re: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

If it's just a exhibition game, I don't see a problem with it.

On the other hand, if the winner of the game affects home field advantage in the World Series, no doubt he shouldn't be eligible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

On the other hand, if the winner of the game affects home field advantage in the World Series, no doubt he shouldn't be eligible.
    The last paragraph doesn't make any sense.....since he was called up he's been the best player in baseball...by a decent bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    The last paragraph doesn't make any sense.....since he was called up he's been the best player in baseball...by a decent bit.
    He's played one third of one half of one season. The "since he was called up" portion of your post is the most important.

Doing it for one month should not justify an All-Star appearance.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

That doesn't make sense. The Reds are a NL team with a chance at the playoffs. It doesn't matter to me whether Puig is in the all-star game but if he can help the NL win home field in the World Series that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    He's played one third of one half of one season. The "since he was called up" portion of your post is the most important.

Doing it for one month should not justify an All-Star appearance.
    The important part is for the 29 games he's been up he's been easily the best player in baseball......my response was to his paragraph saying he shouldn't be eligible because the game is for home field advantage????

With the WS home field advantage on the line who do you want up right now....the guy hitting .429 over the last month?

With the WS home field advantage on the line....who do you want as one of your 3 outfielders?

With the WS home field advantage on the line who do you want on the bases?

I get the he shouldn't be eligible due to only having 115 AB......I'm 1,000,000% disagreeing that he shouldn't be eligible because the game is too important/for WS home field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post

I've read the voting tallies, and for the most part they appear fair. But then I see that Derek Jeter is closing in on a million votes, although he hasn't played a game this season. I read where a contributor of a sports blog was delighting himself by voting for the AL players he considered the worst, so as to weaken the opposition.
    I'd laugh if ALOT of people did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    One of my side thoughts to all of this is if one of our players can't play in the ASG without it affecting their play or body rest.....they aren't mentally tough enough to handle the playoffs either.
    I've posted similar opinions before and got hammered for it, but my opinion hasn't changed. These guys perform their job around 20-25 hours a week, and they spend roughly half of that time sitting down. Yes, I take into consideration the fact that they also work out -- but so do I, and I work 40-hour weeks and sometimes more (and I'm 49). To suggest going to the all-star game would somehow affect the remainder of their season energy-wise or endurance-wise, is quite a stretch, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That doesn't make sense. The Reds are a NL team with a chance at the playoffs. It doesn't matter to me whether Puig is in the all-star game but if he can help the NL win home field in the World Series that works for me.
    Look, if it's only a exhibition game and it doesn't matter-then it doesn't matter whether or not Puig is in it.

If it does matter-he needs sufficient at bats to prove that he is a legitimate All-Star. One month of at bats is not going to qualify.

Puig just became only the third player since 1900 (1900!) to have 50+ hits in his first 30 games. I was on the fence when I started this thread, but I'm now solidly in favor of this guy getting a spot on the NL roster.

Look, if it's only a exhibition game and it doesn't matter-then it doesn't matter whether or not Puig is in it.

If it does matter-he needs sufficient at bats to prove that he is a legitimate All-Star. One month of at bats is not going to qualify.
    Do you think it should be 2 months?

What about making all rookies ineligible?

Where do you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Do you think it should be 2 months?

What about making all rookies ineligible?

Where do you draw the line?
    Equivalent at bats to qualify for a batting title. Rookies can qualify if they have sufficient at bats.

13. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (07-07-2013)

This debate reminds me of Chris Sabo's rookie year. He started his MLB career on fire -- hot enough to make the all-star game as a rookie -- but was terrible after the all-star break. So, looking back, as great as Sabo seemed the first half of his rookie season, he never captured the attention of the country the way Puig has. If you don't hold the games played argument against Puig, his "first half" has been more impressive than Sabo's first half was in '88.

Will Puig drop off after the break the way Sabo did? Maybe, maybe not, but as of now, he deserves a spot. If the objective is to win the game, and you consider if NL pitchers haven't figured him out yet, how could AL pitchers do it in one night, then he needs to be there.

Equivalent at bats to qualify for a batting title. Rookies can qualify if they have sufficient at bats.
    So you'd rather have a sophomore slumper over a rookie sensation?

Stat geek...and proud

I don't think he should be considered. Too small of a sample. It'd be like when Jeff Francoeur started his career super hot, made the cover of SI, whole nine yards, if they had put him in. We don't know what Puig is yet. He could be Pujols, or he could be Francoeur (and I worry about Puig's K/BB ratio going forward, regression could hit him hard) no question he has the talent, though.

That said, I don't really care about the game. The All Star game is pretty worthless and watered down already, so if people want him there, I'm not going to be mad about it.

Why does it matter whether Puig keeps this up later (we know he won't maintain this pace)? As of now, he's a huge force in the game. If he turns into a 4th OF down the road, why does that mean he shouldn't be in the game now?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Falcon7 (07-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?