Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Re: Should Puig be an all-star candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I strongly disagree with most of you. I'd take Puig's 1/3 of the first half along with a minor league free agent OF of my choice for the other 2/3 of the first half and take my chances.

Puig is the best baseball player on the planet right now, and in the long run, he will give Trout and Harper a run for their money.
    In the same time Bruce had more EBH and RBIs, did hit 100 points less

Puig us good but Chris Stynes had an awesome 30 days in 1997 too

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    In the same time Bruce had more EBH and RBIs, did hit 100 points less

Puig us good but Chris Stynes had an awesome 30 days in 1997 too
    Stynes made us all optimistic in 2000, but none of us really felt like we were witnessing a historically great player. Stynes had a subpar minor league pedigree and was 27 when he had his big month. Puig OPSed around 1.000 in his albeit short minor league career. If he's really 22, I wouldn't bet against him. People were skeptical of Pujols in early 2001 as well. If Bonilla hadn't gotten hurt, LaRussa may not have put him on the opening day roster.

Over the past 28 days, Bruce has an on base percentage of .327. Even by slugging close to .600, he hasn't been on Puig's level of great. The only guys who have been better in the batters box over the past 28 days [I can't find a site that can pull the last 30] are Jason Kipnis (.415/.513/.791 16.8 rc/27 in 113 plate appearances) and Miguel Cabrera (.340/.451/.712 12.4 rc/27 in 113 plate appearances). Puig has had a slash line of .400/.429/.610 11.48 rc/27 in 107 plate appearances). And for those who believe "value" is measured in team wins (which I don't... but whatever), his team started winning when he came on board.

Dougdirt knows prospects and his concern is a valid one, but I think he'll learn to recognize the outside breaking pitch. If I had to bet my house, I'd say Puig's career is more likely to end up mirroring Joe DiMaggio rather than fast-start flameouts like Kevin Maas.

Platitudes notwithstanding, if care about the NL winning the game, I absolutely want him on the NL roster.
    Stick to your guns.

If I had to bet my house, I'd say Puig's career is more likely to end up mirroring Joe DiMaggio rather than fast-start flameouts like Kevin Maas.
    More likely he will be Jeff Francoeur than either of them. (And RedsZone is currently sitting in abject terror that the Reds are going to acquire him.)

As a 21-year-old rookie in 2005, Francoeur hit .403 with 8 HR's, 21 RBI's, and an OPS of 1.228 in his first month. Looks awfully familiar.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

westofyou (07-08-2013)

I have been voting vehemently for other players on MLB.com to ensure Puig doesn't make the ASG
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I like entertainment and this guy is fun to watch. I hope he wins the vote.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I have been voting vehemently for other players on MLB.com to ensure Puig doesn't make the ASG
    I put in a ton of votes for Ian Desmond. Mainly just keep Puig out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I put in a ton of votes for Ian Desmond. Mainly just keep Puig out.
    I've been switching back and forth between Gonzo and Freeman.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Are you guys voting for someone in the AL, too? Just not Uehara, okay?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If I had to bet my house, I'd say Puig's career is more likely to end up mirroring Joe DiMaggio rather than fast-start flameouts like Kevin Maas.
    I feel like there are several...hundred other possible tiers between Joe DiMaggio and Kevin Maas that Puig could settle into to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Always Red (07-08-2013),GullyFoyle (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Are you guys voting for someone in the AL, too? Just not Uehara, okay?
    To be honest with you Uehara is the only one I knew much about. I never heard of the guy from Toronto. So I have been voting for Uehara.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I've been switching back and forth between Gonzo and Freeman.
    You might want to reconsider your Gonzalez vote. He's throwing all of his votes to Puig.
    If you don't subscribe to MLBTV you wiill get 14 day free trial if you vote in this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I know it's stupid because even if he's voted in he probably won't pitch, but I'm getting paranoid because Red Sox relievers have been dropping like flies and he is 38 years old.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Stynes made us all optimistic in 2000, but none of us really felt like we were witnessing a historically great player. Stynes had a subpar minor league pedigree and was 27 when he had his big month. Puig OPSed around 1.000 in his albeit short minor league career. If he's really 22, I wouldn't bet against him. People were skeptical of Pujols in early 2001 as well. If Bonilla hadn't gotten hurt, LaRussa may not have put him on the opening day roster.

Over the past 28 days, Bruce has an on base percentage of .327. Even by slugging close to .600, he hasn't been on Puig's level of great. The only guys who have been better in the batters box over the past 28 days [I can't find a site that can pull the last 30] are Jason Kipnis (.415/.513/.791 16.8 rc/27 in 113 plate appearances) and Miguel Cabrera (.340/.451/.712 12.4 rc/27 in 113 plate appearances). Puig has had a slash line of .400/.429/.610 11.48 rc/27 in 107 plate appearances). And for those who believe "value" is measured in team wins (which I don't... but whatever), his team started winning when he came on board.

Dougdirt knows prospects and his concern is a valid one, but I think he'll learn to recognize the outside breaking pitch. If I had to bet my house, I'd say Puig's career is more likely to end up mirroring Joe DiMaggio rather than fast-start flameouts like Kevin Maas.

Platitudes notwithstanding, if care about the NL winning the game, I absolutely want him on the NL roster.
    Dimaggio?

Dial it back, dial it back... 1991 Phil Plantier was pretty tasty in a small sample too.

Not that Puig isn't dynamite and much better but he could be Vince Dimaggio too.

Puig had a golden sombrero on Sat., and 2 more K's yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Puig had a golden sombrero on Sat., and 2 more K's yesterday.

Was also 2/4 with a SB and a run scored much because of his speed and awareness....also made a sensational catch in RF
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Turn Off Ads?