Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/2

Birthdays: 7/2

Reds:

Wladimir Balentien (28) -Remember this guy? He hit the longest home run of the 2009 season while a Red. I always wished he'd get a longer look, either with the Reds or with someone else...That someone else has turned out to be the Yakult Swallows.

Sean Casey (38) -The World's Nicest Baseball Player never drove in 100 runs, but drove in 99 twice...He's the only player to have the first base hit ever in two different parks: PNC and Miller.

Others:

Steve Sparks (48)- Knuckleballer whose career ended abruptly when he separated his shoulder trying to rip a phone book in half. As I've said before, you can't make some of this stuff up.

Jose (and Ozzie) Canseco (48) - The Madonna of baseball; a person who wakes up in the morning thinking "what can I do to get maximum attention today"... I think he's just as much of a grease fire as you probably do, but I do have to admit that much of the stuff in his book turned out to be true...Ozzie is basically Jose without the "good at baseball" part...

Hal Reniff -Reliever for the Yankees and Mets; supposedly the only player to play for those two teams and no others...On one of his baseball cards he's wearing a short-sleeved jersey and holding his arms above his head the way pitchers used to do, and you can see a disturbing tuft of armpit hair peeking out. I'd reproduce it here but some of you might be eating...On BaseballReference they say he did some acting after his baseball career ended, but another source says no, that's his son. I tried to find out which was true, but it eventually became a big timesuck, and I had to step back and remind myself that no one really cares...

Chuck Stobbs - Chuck won over 100 games in the bigs, but he's rememberd for two things he'd rather not be remembered for: 1) He gave up what's considered baseball's longest home run ever; a 1953 Mickey Mantle blast that left Griffith Stadium entirely and was estimated at 565 feet. 2) He uncorked what may have been the wildest wild pitch ever; it landed 17 rows up in the stands.

Grover Hartley -Grover played one game in 1934 at age 45, making him the last active player to have played in the Federal League...He later became an AL umpire.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 7/2

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Sean Casey (38) -The World's Nicest Baseball Player never drove in 100 runs, but drove in 99 twice...He's the only player to have the first base hit ever in two different parks: PNC and Miller.
    It has been reported that Casey would be offended if a runner at first base would take off for second while The Mayor had a conversation going with him.

Re: Birthdays: 7/2

So Casey got to announce a no hitter on his birthday. Pretty good present. He was the analsyt on the MLB Network broadcast of the game last night for those of you who don't or didn't watch the Reds game that way.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (07-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?