Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Price 'appreciation'

Bryan Price 'appreciation'

Don't want to take any credit away from Homer Bailey who has really matured and worked at his craft; to Mike Leake who is trusting his stuff more rather than acquiescing to contact; to Bronson Arroyo who is as cerebral and wily a vet as you'll find; to Mat Latos who is mega talented.

But I do want to applaud the job Bryan Price has done in Cincinnati. I was ecstatic about the hire when it was made, if only because people spoke glowingly of him. But listening to Homer Bailey speak of the influence he has over the pitchers seems to corroborate everything that had previously been said over him. It's rare to see a guy have such impact on careers of guys in their mid and late 20s. I think the difference in the best and worst pitching coaches is probably minimal, but there are a few who really stand out in their profession; Price seems to be one of them.

The Reds continue to support a team BB/K rate of over 3-1. This in spite of the so-called ace of the staff and second-most talented reliever both being out most if not all of the year. These are not your big brother's Cincinnati Reds.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

dougdirt (07-03-2013), HeatherC1212 (07-03-2013), lollipopcurve (07-03-2013), New York Red (07-03-2013), nmculbreth (07-03-2013), REDREAD (07-03-2013), remdog (07-04-2013), texasdave (07-03-2013), Tom Servo (07-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryan Price 'appreciation'

I know Price has managerial aspirations since he interviewed with Miami but I would like to see him take over when Dusty's contract is over. Does anyone see this as a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I know Price has managerial aspirations since he interviewed with Miami but I would like to see him take over when Dusty's contract is over. Does anyone see this as a possibility?
    Yep. I think the Reds brought Mack Jenkins in as assistant pitching coach as a way to prepare for a seemless transition as soon as Dusty hangs up his wristbands. IMO, the only thing to derail that plan is if Price takes a job elsewhere before Dusty goes.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

6. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (07-03-2013)

Fantastic hire and re-sign by Jocketty.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

8. Likes:

remdog (07-04-2013), Tom Servo (07-03-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I could see that

I could definitely see that. I hope stays around long enough to take it. I may be predjudiced but I truly believe Price is the best pitching coach in the majors. You can see improvement from just about every pitcher that has come through here in the last few seasons. I don't know what he does to get the most out of pitchers but I hope he keeps doing it for the Reds for many more seasons.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Why the scare quotes around "appreciation"?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why the scare quotes around "appreciation"?
    Doesn't matter.

Anyway, I've heard from numerous people in the know, that Price really is a great pitching coach. I know a lot of us think that, but it's really nice to hear from others. He may not get all the media attention, but everyone seems to love the job he does.

Just for fun, I search "fire Bryan Price" on here and got some good posts from years ago.

The difference between the pitching staff under Dick Pole and the pitching staff under Bryan Price is like night and day.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    Well, technically, it makes me think that the word "appreciation" is not sincere in the thread title. So that's why I ask.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The difference between the pitching staff under Dick Pole and the pitching staff under Bryan Price is like night and day.
    So is the pitching talent. Dick Pole very well could have been a very good pitching coach. But you can only do so much with the crap he had throwing the baseball.

16. Likes:

jojo (07-03-2013)

Pitch to contact!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So is the pitching talent. Dick Pole very well could have been a very good pitching coach. But you can only do so much with the crap he had throwing the baseball.
    Oh I certainly don't blame Pole for guys like Micah Owings or Josh Fogg or whoever pitching lousy, but rather I think Pryce has been able to get Cueto and Bailey to that next level. Makes me wish he had been around when we had Lohse.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That's also true of the Don Gullett days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh I certainly don't blame Pole for guys like Micah Owings or Josh Fogg or whoever pitching lousy, but rather I think Pryce has been able to get Cueto and Bailey to that next level. Makes me wish he had been around when we had Lohse.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think that Bryan Price is fantastic. Just felt the need to point out that for all of the grief guys in the past got as pitching coaches, they weren't exactly working with talented guys on most nights. Looking back just 7 years ago, would a single starter make this rotation? Would anyone from those bullpens be on this team? I don't know if they would, especially if everyone were healthy.

21. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?