Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryan Price 'appreciation'

Re: Bryan Price 'appreciation'

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think that Bryan Price is fantastic. Just felt the need to point out that for all of the grief guys in the past got as pitching coaches, they weren't exactly working with talented guys on most nights. Looking back just 7 years ago, would a single starter make this rotation? Would anyone from those bullpens be on this team? I don't know if they would, especially if everyone were healthy.
    Well, Bronson Arroyo would, since he's in the rotation now.

Aaron Harang would be a quality #4 starter, but I don't know if there would be any room for him in this rotation since Leake has stepped up this year. (Maybe there would be room because of Cueto's injury problems, and Cingrani could then stay in the bullpen or at Louisville.)

In the bullpen, David Weathers would probably make it. Eddie Guardado too, if he could stay healthy (which wouldn't happen).

That's it. IMO those are the only four pitchers from 2006 with enough talent to contribute on this year's club.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why the scare quotes around "appreciation"?
    It was used for nothing more than a point of emphasis. A lot of appreciation threads get posted, just wanted to give it some extra umph.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I know Price has managerial aspirations since he interviewed with Miami but I would like to see him take over when Dusty's contract is over. Does anyone see this as a possibility?
    I would definitely get on board with that move.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It was used for nothing more than a point of emphasis. A lot of appreciation threads get posted, just wanted to give it some extra umph.
    Gotcha. I read it as an ironic twist on the word... kind of like the difference between military intelligence and military "intelligence." The second one is sarcastic in tone, at least to my eyes but I know not intentional..
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Gotcha. I read it as an ironic twist on the word... kind of like the difference between military intelligence and military "intelligence." The second one is sarcastic in tone, at least to my eyes but I know not intentional..
    It is sometimes used for sarcasm, yes, and it's also sometimes used for words that were not used verbatim, but implied. But it can also take on the meaning of emphasis.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I think he's the best pitching coach in MLB. Also: He's destined to be a manager in the future and I hope he is Dusty's successor whenever Dusty steps down (at least I hope it ends in Dusty walking away on top and not getting canned). Either way, I hope Price is the Reds' next manager though. I fear losing him this offseason though, just like I feared losing him last season. We were lucky a couple teams took a pass on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It is sometimes used for sarcasm, yes, and it's also sometimes used for words that were not used verbatim, but implied. But it can also take on the meaning of emphasis.
    Okay, no problem. Just reporting that I first misunderstood the thread title (and have never seen quotes used that way).

Oh... and yes... I do very much appreciate Price. :-)
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?