Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great article on Reds Media

Great article on Reds Media

Great article on Reds Media. Not sure if this has been posted.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...=BAQGVkXdJ&s=1
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Great article on Reds Media

Great article!

Throw John Fay into the mix....his consistent typos, misspellings, twitter account answers, and grammar are embarrassments to sports journalism.

5. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-04-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm not sure why we still get so upset about what the local media does. We have the pick of the litter when it comes to how we get our information/opinion. RedsZone, while not without its faults (I'm looking at you, game threads) is the single greatest site devoted to a team on these here interwebs. Red Reporter does a darn good job itself. C Trent Rosecrans, and I know some don't like him, I think is one of the most knowledgeable beat reporters in the game and is GREAT with his readers.

Cowboy will be Cowboy. Marty will be Marty. Thom will be Marty if he can help it. Fay will be clueless. They're our family members we claim, but don't quite understand. I just smile and shake my head when I hear about these silly stories.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

7. Likes:

Brisco (07-05-2013),jimbo (07-04-2013),wolfboy (07-05-2013)

While it sucks that this is an issue, many of the criticisms of Bailey when he was younger were held by a lot of people in the front office, not just Marty. Homer did rub a lot of people the wrong way when he was younger, and you can see people even now give him backhanded compliments while mentioning his stubbornness and immaturity in the past (even Dusty mentioned it).

I personally have not had a chance to meet Homer or be around him, but I know people who have (people who worked for the Reds, and no, I won't reveal their names). The stories I have heard about him were pretty bad. Of course that is second hand without Homer's viewpoint, but he had a very poor reputation with multiple people within the Reds organization. Much of the criticism on him seemed well deserved (I could be wrong since, as mentioned, I only got one side of the story).

The media has been rather childish and should not have done some of the stuff we have seen recently. It should have been a celebration of a great feat the fans enjoyed seeing. Yet Homer is not without fault, and holds a grudge over criticism he seemingly deserved.

you can see people even now give him backhanded compliments while mentioning his stubbornness and immaturity in the past (even Dusty mentioned it)
    What Baker said was that he never objected to Homer's "hardheadedness" -- he said it would be an important factor in making Homer successful.

Confidence, believing in oneself -- some will call it arrogance -- is good at the highest competitive levels. Some people looked at Homer as a kid who should have been more deferential to adults. He's also smart, which can make some people defensive.

Unfortunately, there are those who have never forgiven him for not conforming to how they thought he should be. So now they bristle at his success.

10. Likes:

forfreelin04 (07-05-2013),kfm (07-07-2013),RedEye (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    What Baker said was that he never objected to Homer's "hardheadedness" -- he said it would be an important factor in making Homer successful.

Confidence, believing in oneself -- some will call it arrogance -- is good at the highest competitive levels. Some people looked at Homer as a kid who should have been more deferential to adults. He's also smart, which can make some people defensive.

Unfortunately, there are those who have never forgiven him for not conforming to how they thought he should be. So now they bristle at his success.
    Judging a 27 y/o who provides plus production on his habits as a baby of 21 or 22 (whether we're talking about work ethic, coachability or other minor quirks) is pretty foolish. Now if a guy is a criminal at that age with a habit for hard drugs, violence or other questionable activity it's a cause for alarm, but a hard headed 21 year old is pretty much the norm. It's less than nothing IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-04-2013),RedEye (07-05-2013)

Hopefully, they'll be able to patch things up. 700WLW will be the flagship for years to come. Would love to see Homer Bailey with this club for a long, long time as well.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Hopefully, they'll be able to patch things up. 700WLW will be the flagship for years to come. Would love to see Homer Bailey with this club for a long, long time as well.
    Hopefully for WLW's sake they "patch things up." The Reds do not need WLW. Let's not get this confused. WLW needs the Reds.

Sorry, but as a long time Reds fan who became a Cincinnati transplant, the media coverage in this town of the Reds is terrible. At some point the negativity has to go. Sheldon is the only one who I feel like has any sort of sense in him. I have no idea how Fay even got a journalism job of any sort, and Daugherty is ME, ME, ME.

For your sake I hope the coverage of the Bengals isn't as terrible.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hopefully for WLW's sake they "patch things up." The Reds do not need WLW. Let's not get this confused. WLW needs the Reds.
    Where else would they go and still reach the same masses? You're talking about the Nation's Station.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Judging a 27 y/o who provides plus production on his habits as a baby of 21 or 22 (whether we're talking about work ethic, coachability or other minor quirks) is pretty foolish. Now if a guy is a criminal at that age with a habit for hard drugs, violence or other questionable activity it's a cause for alarm, but a hard headed 21 year old is pretty much the norm. It's less than nothing IMO.
    I have yet to meet a 21-22 year old kid who DIDN'T think they knew everything. Myself included. Life knocks it right on out of them usually.

18. Likes:

forfreelin04 (07-05-2013),kfm (07-07-2013)

Where else would they go and still reach the same masses? You're talking about the Nation's Station.
    What are you, kidding? This is the internet age. The only people they are reaching OTA are 85 year olds who can't see the TV anymore and people in the Appalachians without TVs. Even those who are far away and want to listen over the air are probably listening through affiliates, not the WLW frequency.

These days, every team has the opportunity to reach the masses via this thing you may have heard of called the INTERNET. And anyone in their cars who loves MLB has satellite radio, which carries all MLB games.

Let's not pretend that WLW is some indispensable part of the Reds experience. It is most definitely not.

20. Likes:

Chip R (07-05-2013),mth123 (07-05-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-06-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

There are well over 100 stations in the nation that broadcast at 50k watts.

That "Nations Station" moniker is from the old, old days, when they broadcast at 500,000 watts.
    sorry we're boring

Internet? With Internet and every game on TV having a 50,000 watt station isn't as necesary as it was 20 years and more ago. If WLW pisses the Reds off too much they could turn in a different direction. Cincinnati does have another 50,000 watt station. I don't know anymore what they are like or how they operate. They don't have to have a 50,000 watt station going out to 2/3 of the country. The Internet reaches the entire world.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?