Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great article on Reds Media

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Great article on Reds Media

[QUOTE=cumberlandreds;2901417Cincinnati does have another 50,000 watt station.[/QUOTE]

yes, WCKY 1530. Underutilized, IMO.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't begrudge Homer's "reputation." I place it squarely on the way the Reds have handled him since the day he was drafted.

Without a doubt. Homer was rushed to the major leagues, perhaps a season - maybe two seasons early. Homer endured a lot of different development methods, different pitching coaches, and had unreasonable expectations placed on him at a young age. Add to that, the personality traits of Homer Bailey, and you have guy who may rub some people the wrong way.

The unfortunate thing is how this bodes for the future. As the weather heats up, Homer will probably only get better. I am convinced that he will become the TOR ace the team is looking for. However, you do wonder how much longer he will stay in Cincinnati.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Also controlled by Clear Channel, operating in the same office, down the hallway.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

I know they used to carry Kentucky basketball games as I would listen to them via that station. I could pick it up better than WHAS out of Louisville. The Reds may want to think about changing. Sometimes partners can get stale or complacent thinking they can get away with anything they please. WLW seems to be that way. How much longer are the Reds and WLW under contract?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Also controlled by Clear Channel, operating in the same office, down the hallway.
    Well, that explains that!
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know they used to carry Kentucky basketball games as I would listen to them via that station. I could pick it up better than WHAS out of Louisville. The Reds may want to think about changing. Sometimes partners can get stale or complacent thinking they can get away with anything they please. WLW seems to be that way. How much longer are the Reds and WLW under contract?
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

It was announced on Tuesday that the Reds and radio flagship 700 WLW have renewed their rights agreement to broadcast all regular and postseason games through 2017.
    Rest of the article under the link.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

Rest of the article under the link.
    Thanks. I see Clear Channel runs both of them. So going to WCKY isn't happening. Really though I don't think the Reds or any MLB team needs a 50,000 watt station anymore. They many other ways to get to the masses.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

BTW... for those in the Cincinnati area - WLW also broadcasts in FM: 94.5. Would never had listened to it except I purchased a cheap clock radio with only FM. It's not crystal clear but it'll do listening to only Reds games.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Messing with this formula over a catty/juvenile promo is clearly what successful businessmen like the Castellini brothers regularly do...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/...radio-ratings/

About 15% of households in the U.S. have satellite radios, nowhere near the saturation you'd need to make it a viable option to ditch WLW. The Reds may not "need" WLW, but they are still going to make more money with WLW than any other present option. It would take multiple egregious offenses to tinker with the current Reds radio formula.

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-06-2013)

I don't root for Bailey's personality, or for him to be a nice guy. I root for him to pitch well and help the Reds win. I kind of expect the media to root for that, too.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

13. Likes:

forfreelin04 (07-05-2013),remdog (07-07-2013),RichRed (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't root for Bailey's personality, or for him to be a nice guy. I root for him to pitch well and help the Reds win. I kind of expect the media to root for that, too.
    My thoughts exactly. This is why the tired judgement of Pete Rose is laughable.

Just because you can hit and throw a baseball at a high level doesn't mean your a great person; especially when everyone has a varying opinion of proper personality and morals.

It's just a shame that something that will be revered in baseball history for years to come was scarred initially by several loudmouths who need more accountability from their employers.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Messing with this formula over a catty/juvenile promo is clearly what successful businessmen like the Castellini brothers regularly do...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/...radio-ratings/

About 15% of households in the U.S. have satellite radios, nowhere near the saturation you'd need to make it a viable option to ditch WLW. The Reds may not "need" WLW, but they are still going to make more money with WLW than any other present option. It would take multiple egregious offenses to tinker with the current Reds radio formula.
    The Reds have been on WLW for as long as anyone can remember. WLW is the biggest game in town and the Reds are the biggest game in town. I don't think a breakup is anytime in the distant future.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Where else would they go and still reach the same masses? You're talking about the Nation's Station.
    With the internet and satellite radio does that really matter anymore? Put the games on a little pea shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    With the internet and satellite radio does that really matter anymore? Put the games on a little pea shooter.
    Why would the Reds voluntarily give up a revenue stream?

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Why would the Reds voluntarily give up a revenue stream?
    Does the end justify the means when said revenue stream incessantly bashes the product?

Turn Off Ads?