Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before 2010, who did you consider the Reds biggest rival?

Before 2010, who did you consider the Reds biggest rival?

Since the 2010 season when the brawl occurred against the Cardinals, most Reds fans (myself included) consider the Cards our biggest rival. However, before 2010, which team do you think the Reds biggest rival was? And if you still don't think it's St. Louis, who do you think it is? My guess would be Pittsburgh, especially since both teams were great in the 1970's.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Before 2010, who did you consider the Reds biggest rival?

dodgers

I'm with Mr. Jones.

Back when the local 9 were part of the NL west, the big rivalry was with the dodgers.

I don't really recall the reds having a "rival" in the NL-central prior to the whiny-birds bru-ha-ha. They were there for a long time and had some good seasons, but I never really considered any of those teams to be rivals.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

LA Dodgers because of old NL west battles
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Unfortunately prior to 2010 the Reds had been too bad to have a rival. The last one prior to 2010 was probably Atlanta in the early to mid 90's. Before that I would say the Dodgers.

7. Likes:

remdog (09-08-2013)

I don't think STL considers us a rival at all. Annoying, yes. STL's "natural" rival in their fanbase is the Cubs. Not liking another team ≠ rivalry.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Yeah Cardinals fans don't view the Reds as rivals. More like little brothers. They like to pick on them, but there's no hate.

I know too many cubs fans who think we're their rivals. To which I usually reply, "isn't little bear a badge in cub scouts?"
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Time

Even then, the Cardinals.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Themselves
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Growing up in the 90s, I always hated the Braves.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

It was the Dodgers without a doubt!

Living in the midst of Cards fans I can vouch that most don't see the Reds as rivals. Competitors and year to year rivals depending on the race sure. But rival? The Cubs thing is deeply ingrained on the average Cards fan. In the 90s the Braves were kind of rivals for a while as we played in the same division but the last real rival was the Dodgers. It has cooled for the younger guys but I still love beating the Dodgers. Still cannot stand the boys in blue.

Dodgers, although living in the L.A. area maybe I should say the Reds were the Dodger's biggest rivals (though that might be unfair to the Giants).

Next would be the Atlanta Braves with their lack of fans' baseball knowledge and their stupid 'Tomahawk Chop'. (Couldn't even be creative enough to think of something themselves.) There's still a dent in my wall from where the remote hit it on the day (one of those years, I don't remember which) that the Braves beat us for the flag

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?