Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds Rainout?

Re: Reds Rainout?

Thia game is going to be real hard to make up, the 'meet in COL and play 35 days straight' deal stinks to the high heavens for both teams.

Hope the Reds don't have to make it up in San Fran, that isn't right eiher. Doing it after the regular season doesn't sound good but may be the only way to make it up in CIN.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    Thia game is going to be real hard to make up, the 'meet in COL and play 35 days straight' deal stinks to the high heavens for both teams.

Hope the Reds don't have to make it up in San Fran, that isn't right eiher. Doing it after the regular season doesn't sound good but may be the only way to make it up in CIN.
    Hoping it's unnecessary

4. Likes:

marcshoe (07-05-2013),NCCardfan (07-05-2013)

They could have gotten 5 innings in this evening. Whomever made the postponement call, made a bad call.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

6. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-04-2013),DocRed (07-05-2013),REDREAD (07-05-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    They could have gotten 5 innings in this evening. Whomever made the postponement call, made a bad call.
    Yep, should have stuck with their guns. Why make the grandiose announcement that "We're going to wait all day if need be" and then call the game one hour into the delay? Made no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yep, should have stuck with their guns. Why make the grandiose announcement that "We're going to wait all day if need be" and then call the game one hour into the delay? Made no sense.
    We were sitting there all day ourselves. We would have stayed for an evening game. It was actually kind of pleasant sitting there watching it rain after we found some seats below some cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Hoping it's unnecessary
    I think you will be proven correct. The question will be that the Giants may need it though

I don't see 1/2 game difference amongst the 5 playoff teams but it is possible SirFelix - I just hope it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I don't know the exact "politics" of how these things work amongst each team, but if I were to make a stab in the dark here, my guess would be that the Reds WOULD have waited it out, while the Giants were probably not as keen on that proposition. They have to be back home for a game tonight and the possibility of a game going into the late night hours, flying all the way back to SF, dealing with the time lag, etc. prob. was not something that they were too keen on dealing with. I do realize that they could have likely gotten 5 innings in and all, but there is always the possibility that after 5 innings the game is either still scoreless or tied.

Like I said, I honestly do not know the inner workings of how these calls are made nor how much weight the opposing team has to toss in to the final judgement call, but I'm guessing what I stated above was a pretty good reason for SF not wanting to wait it out for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    They said on the way out that the tickets were good for any future game? Not if my ticket has been sold! Lol

But $13 for tickets that are generally $35+.....I'll have to pick a good game.
    I was listening to the radio when they called/postponed the game and IIRC, they said that anyone with tickets to today's game could use them for any future non-weekend games. Someone can correct me if I'm crazy and totally heard that wrong, but I am pretty certain that that is what I heard them say. I also think they announced one specific date that said tickets also would not be good for, but I can not remember what that specific date was.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    If I had seen this earlier I would have stopped in.
    Me too- I was trying to take a nap in the covered upper level seats to no avail.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Why coiuldn't they make up this game July 18th? I know that's the end of the 4 day all star break but still this is a perfect time to make it up. The Reds will be home following the break. The Giants could come into town for one of those 12:35 business specials and be back to SF early enough to start their home weekend series. I really thought one reason they went to a four day break was to make up games like this when a team wouldn't be back again. Is it that taboo to play during the break? I have also read they are considering playing this game on neutral site on August 29th. Colorado is being talked about for that. How strange would that be? I hope they don't do that. I 'd rather not play it or do it at the end of the season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (07-05-2013),Chip R (07-05-2013),Donder (07-05-2013),Edd Roush (07-05-2013),NCCardfan (07-05-2013),REDREAD (07-05-2013),remdog (07-05-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    I was listening to the radio when they called/postponed the game and IIRC, they said that anyone with tickets to today's game could use them for any future non-weekend games. Someone can correct me if I'm crazy and totally heard that wrong, but I am pretty certain that that is what I heard them say. I also think they announced one specific date that said tickets also would not be good for, but I can not remember what that specific date was.
    You are correct and the date they can't be used is Tuesday August 6th (Joey Votto bobblehead night). No one should be surprised that I know that date off the top of my head, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Why coiuldn't they make up this game July 18th? I know that's the end of the 4 day all star break but still this is a perfect time to make it up. The Reds will be home following the break. The Giants could come into town for one of those 12:35 business specials and be back to SF early enough to start their home weekend series. I really thought one reason they went to a four day break was to make up games like this when a team wouldn't be back again. Is it that taboo to play during the break? I have also read they are considering playing this game on neutral site on August 29th. Colorado is being talked about for that. How strange would that be? I hope they don't do that. I 'd rather not play it or do it at the end of the season.
    Good thought, but I believe changing the ASB from 3 days to 4 was negotiated in the last CBA. If so, that won't be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Good thought, but I believe changing the ASB from 3 days to 4 was negotiated in the last CBA. If so, that won't be an option.
    Correct, the CBA won't allow it. Btw, for the poster wondering which game the rain check isn't valid: August 6, Votto Bobblehead Night.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. They probably wouldn't let them play even if both teams agreed to play. I could see the Giants needing the game at the end of the season to either clinch the division or tie for the division. The Reds having already clinched the playoffs and having to decide to play it straight or playing a lot of bench players.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Does the rain out mean these hats won't ever seen on-field action?
    http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.js...1452718.708006

(Here's hoping)

Turn Off Ads?